Season's over

NewMarketSean

Isn't there some kind of petition we can get circulating through Baltimore?!?! Like back in high school when you'd pass around something to get signed to allow seniors to go out for lunch instead of eating the sh*t cafeteria food?

I'll stand outside the warehouse with signs if anyone wants to join...

If you do want to do something I had the idea of sending a petition to the Orioles' sponsors as they don't seem to care about the fans' opinion but sponsors tend to carry a little more weight.

My idea was a bit extreme but I think just sending a petition to the sponsors asking them to let Peter Angelos and the Orioles know that we are fed up with the results of this team would work pretty well.

It would be nice if the Hangout would also get behind something like this and actually embrace the idea, but I doubt that would happen either.

It's pretty telling when there is absolutely no motivation to even vote in one of your team's players to the AS Game. People are ticked off with the team but they simply don't have the motivation to do anything about it.

If the Hangout started it and invited other sites/blogs to join in, we'd actually have something...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Redskins fan, I can tell you what will absolutely happen to the O's fanbase if the Nationals turn into a good or great team.

First, all of the bandwagoners from the area will jump to DC. This is as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

Next, the typical O's fans who watch a few games on TV, go to a couple of games a year and follow things when trades happen and such will jump on board. With Strasburg, Harper, Werth and others, the hype will get a lot of people to follow.

Slowly but surely, us die hards will begin to like the Nationals too. We'll watch more of their games, go to a couple of their games, read their fan sites a little more and talk more about them with our buddies. We'll still love the O's, but our interest will continue to wane, as has been described over and over on this board even today. This is where I am with the Skins. Sundays are no longer Skins or bust for me. If I miss some or all of a game, it happens.

I think there might come a day when even diehards actually change fandom. I don't honestly know if it's possible for me to root for another team over the Skins, so the day may never come. Likewise, I can't imagine ever rooting for another team over the O's. I hope PA doesn't drive me in that direction.

If you do want to do something I had the idea of sending a petition to the Orioles' sponsors as they don't seem to care about the fans' opinion but sponsors tend to carry a little more weight.

My idea was a bit extreme but I think just sending a petition to the sponsors asking them to let Peter Angelos and the Orioles know that we are fed up with the results of this team would work pretty well.

It would be nice if the Hangout would also get behind something like this and actually embrace the idea, but I doubt that would happen either.

It's pretty telling when there is absolutely no motivation to even vote in one of your team's players to the AS Game. People are ticked off with the team but they simply don't have the motivation to do anything about it.

If the Hangout started it and invited other sites/blogs to join in, we'd actually have something...

Is your petition idea for Angelos, or AM?

Is your petition idea for Angelos, or AM?

Angelos and the direction of the team.

Send something to the sponsors as they give the O's revenue no matter what team they put on the field and that might get somebody's attention...

It's worked in televison for fans of certain shows.

And might as well send a copy of it to Torre and Selig as well, the MLBPA and maybe the other 29 owners in MLB.

Start making people aware other than the Orioles and cause them to start to put some pressure on the O's, directly or indirectly...

As a Redskins fan, I can tell you what will absolutely happen to the O's fanbase if the Nationals turn into a good or great team.

First, all of the bandwagoners from the area will jump to DC. This is as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

Next, the typical O's fans who watch a few games on TV, go to a couple of games a year and follow things when trades happen and such will jump on board. With Strasburg, Harper, Werth and others, the hype will get a lot of people to follow.

Slowly but surely, us die hards will begin to like the Nationals too. We'll watch more of their games, go to a couple of their games, read their fan sites a little more and talk more about them with our buddies. We'll still love the O's, but our interest will continue to wane, as has been described over and over on this board even today. This is where I am with the Skins. Sundays are no longer Skins or bust for me. If I miss some or all of a game, it happens.

I think there might come a day when even diehards actually change fandom. I don't honestly know if it's possible for me to root for another team over the Skins, so the day may never come. Likewise, I can't imagine ever rooting for another team over the O's. I hope PA doesn't drive me in that direction.

Then these people were never "diehards" in the first place.

As much as I've given up on this team, I will never give up my allegiance or "change fandom". I've always been a little partial to the Braves just because I have family in that area, but there is no way they'd take the place of my beloved O's.

Probably true, but time and failure wear on a fanbase. El Gordo might not have time to be overcome by the failure, but younger fans will and have. With an exciting franchise in the same media markets, saturating TV coverage, etc., it'll take a toll.

For me and the Skins, I can't help but root for them. I can push my kids to them a little less, or not discourage rooting for the Ravens, etc.

Bottom line: Peter Angelos is the model for how to lose a fan base.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2597721

You're 5 years behind the times here dude.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I get the gist...and I understand completely. However, it is summer, the O's are playing baseball and as far as I know they at least have a small chance of winning each night. Someone could hit a 400+ bomb, someone could pitch a 7 inning gem (don't want to get too greedy), someone could hit for the cycle or go 5 for 5. I just love baseball, love watching, wish I could watch a whole lot more than I do...even this team, because this is my team and I can never get enough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2597721

You're 5 years behind the times here dude.

See that idea didn't work. The players didn't get it because the fans walked out on the team.

What we don't support is the owner and the organization, not the players playing the game as they have no control over who the Orioles obtain for talent or how they do it.

The idea was also not totally suppported by the fandom either.

A petition to the sponsors and others is a way to protest that everybody can get behind IMO and it doesn't confuse the players on the field. But everybody needs to support it for it to be taken seriously.

If people really want to do something, that's what needs to be done.

We all have to participate and support the idea, otherwise it will be fruitless before it even starts.

Archived