No Surprise! Roberts likely done for season

Crazysilver03

It has more to do with the fact that he himself in the head with his own bat than it does with his hustle.

My understanding is that the headaches started after he slid head first into first base. The bat incident may have started the trouble, but the slide is what made the post-concussion symptoms flair up.

Regardless, I feel bad for him. It must suck to go to bed every night hoping that you don't wake up with a migraine.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, no one saw Roberts missing this much time because he bonked his head with a bat. But if someone had said he was going to miss most of this season back in March, would it really be that crazy? Roberts has had injury problems his whole career, freak variety or not. Hell, David Segui had some "freak" injuries when he was here, but the injuries were to be expected.

I doubt Roberts will retire. I bet every shred of him wants to come back and play and will continue until doctor's tell him he's risking his life. But it's time for the O's to start making some plans for 2B because it's looking more and more like Roberts won't be a starting 2B ever again.

I'm sorry but you can't "expect" freak injuries. That is why they are "freaks".

Since becoming a starter Roberts has played in at least 155 games in half of his eight seasons. The seasons he hasn't: Collision that broke his arm (missing end of 05, beginning of 06, 143 and 138 respectively), his back (which I am willing to say is NOT freak) and this concussion (which is a freak injury in my book)

But the bottom line is this, outside of those three very bad injuries he has missed between three and seven games a season.

He has most certainly not been Segui.

If he had missed this much time because of his back it would be a different argument. But he didn't. The back problems would have been expected - this is not.

I recall seeing the incident when he hit himself in the head with his bat, and it didn't really seem all that violent. It's amazing to me that this is still affecting Roberts a year later. At this point, the team really has no choice but to plan for 2012 as if Roberts won't be here. Even if he does return, he can't be relied on and he isn't that likely to be anywhere near the player he was before 2010.
But what did he say afterwards? He said it was something he'd done "thousands of times." That's thousands of small traumas to the brain, and each one makes him more susceptible to the next one, and each one is more damaging than the last. It's gotten to the point where he's on the DL for months because he slid -- he's seriously at risk and vulnerable now. He can never play baseball again and hopefully can have a normal life without constant migraines and fear of reaggravation or even Parkinson's.

But what did he say afterwards? He said it was something he'd done "thousands of times." That's thousands of small traumas to the brain, and each one makes him more susceptible to the next one, and each one is more damaging than the last.

I don't recall him saying that, but even if he did say it, that statement should not be taken literally. I certainly have no memory of BRob habitually bonking himself in the head whenever he struck out. I won't say he never did it before, but I don't remember seeing it.

And while having a concussion certainly makes you more susceptible to having another one, for the vast majority of baseball players who suffered a concussion, it was a one-time event.

I'm sorry but you can't "expect" freak injuries. That is why they are "freaks".

Since becoming a starter Roberts has played in at least 155 games in half of his eight seasons. The seasons he hasn't: Collision that broke his arm (missing end of 05, beginning of 06, 143 and 138 respectively), his back (which I am willing to say is NOT freak) and this concussion (which is a freak injury in my book)

But the bottom line is this, outside of those three very bad injuries he has missed between three and seven games a season.

He has most certainly not been Segui.

If he had missed this much time because of his back it would be a different argument. But he didn't. The back problems would have been expected - this is not.

Never said he was Segui. I am just saying that freak or not, it's not crazy to think that he would have missed a large portion of the season this year. As he gets older, he's more prone to injury. And it seems to me that he gets hurt on plays that other players don't get hurt on...diving into first, for instance.

Either way, we need to start looking for 2B solutions that are better than Davis and Andino while hoping that Roberts can come back next year.

But what did he say afterwards? He said it was something he'd done "thousands of times." That's thousands of small traumas to the brain, and each one makes him more susceptible to the next one, and each one is more damaging than the last. It's gotten to the point where he's on the DL for months because he slid -- he's seriously at risk and vulnerable now. He can never play baseball again and hopefully can have a normal life without constant migraines and fear of reaggravation or even Parkinson's.

I've seen him, on multiple occasions, tap the top of his helmet with the barrel end of the bat

As I recall, it was only in those instances when he struck out swinging at a pitch well out of the zone

His full strikeout total for his entire professional career is only 902, so the "thousands of times." characterization is overstated

Nonetheless, I suspect that the cumulative effects of popping himself on the noggin are what's at play here

Never said he was Segui. I am just saying that freak or not, it's not crazy to think that he would have missed a large portion of the season this year. As he gets older, he's more prone to injury. And it seems to me that he gets hurt on plays that other players don't get hurt on...diving into first, for instance.

Either way, we need to start looking for 2B solutions that are better than Davis and Andino while hoping that Roberts can come back next year.

Yes, but it's a completely different thing. If you're buying a car and you think, I dunno, it's an older engine and there's a risk it might fail in the next four years, and then you buy it and it gets hit by a meteor and explodes, you were still the victim of a freak occurrence, not an expected one. Roberts getting injured like this is bad luck, not part of the standard risk package.

I don't recall him saying that, but even if he did say it, that statement should not be taken literally. I certainly have no memory of BRob habitually bonking himself in the head whenever he struck out. I won't say he never did it before, but I don't remember seeing it.

And while having a concussion certainly makes you more susceptible to having another one, for the vast majority of baseball players who suffered a concussion, it was a one-time event.

Yes, a one-time event for them, because they hadn't had all the repeated head trauma Roberts has had. That's also why he's out so much longer and suffering so much more.

Here's the quote, it was actually MILLIONS of times!!

"In frustration [after a strikeout], I whacked myself on the head with my bat in the ninth. I had my helmet on," Roberts told reporters. "It's something I've done a million times, but I still can't tell you for sure if that was it. But that's the only thing that I can point to because that night and the next morning, I just didn't feel good. So it's been going on since then."

Obviously like AZRon said as well it wasn't millions (or thousands) of times... but I'd bet it was a routine he had for years of his life probably going back to college or earlier when he had a frustrating strike out.

It would be best for all parties involved if he retired. At some point he needs to think about his long term health.

A couple of years ago a bunch of my office buddies bet Robert's career would fall apart the minute he got married and signed the big contract. It looks like they were right. I wish Brian Roberts well. I don't feel bad for him because he signed a huge contract and has gotten two big paycheck years that should set him and his family up for life.

Archived