Bonds Indicted on Perjury, Obstruction of Justice

Flip217

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he obviously gets that, I believe his point is that he did admit to using steroids, so it's a bit much to go to jail for not admitting that he knew he was breaking a relatively unimportant law in our opinions.

Exactly, hence the "issue" comment I made earlier. For the record, i don't think he gets any jail time.

Exactly, hence the "issue" comment I made earlier. For the record, i don't think he gets any jail time.

Yeah I'd say he most certainly will. The government isn't going to investigate him for four years and then indict him if they didn't think he'd face any jail time.

Yeah I'd say he most certainly will. The government isn't going to investigate him for four years and then indict him if they didn't think he'd face any jail time.

The more coverage i see, the more I tend to agree with you. Crazy.

I think he obviously gets that, I believe his point is that he did admit to using steroids, so it's a bit much to go to jail for not admitting that he knew he was breaking a relatively unimportant law in our opinions.

Whilte I agree w/everyone who feels like it was probably a bit much in the amount of resources used to go after Bonds I have no problem w/them dealing with perjury harshly. Whether or not one thinks a particular law is unimportant, IMO it is important to our justice system to treat perjury harshly.

Whilte I agree w/everyone who feels like it was probably a bit much in the amount of resources used to go after Bonds I have no problem w/them dealing with perjury harshly. Whether or not one thinks a particular law is unimportant, IMO it is important to our justice system to treat perjury harshly.

That's fine, although I'm going to guess they'll be more harsh with Barry than your average perjury defendant. I just don't think he should have been in position to lie under oath in the first place since I don't really care about steroids as far as the law goes. But then again, it was stupid of him to lie.

Haven't read this whole thread, but wow! This will be THE biggest fish caught. Bonds is looking at SERIOUS legal repercussions here. The article said that even Bonds' lawyers were surprised by this indictment... Dude. You shoulda had better lawyers. ;)

And to clarify the above...

If he did take steroids a) unknowingly.. that's, um... just really stupid. b) knowingly... Well, it wasn't strictly verboten then. Technically the law was against him, but it's like a slap-on-the-wrist kind of thing.

But to blindly stick to this story, in front of FEDERAL PROSECUTORS :eek: as if he was somehow immune/above all this distraction... I can't think of an all-time worse example of bad lawyer advice.

Bonds deserves what he gets. Hell, his lawyers should be liable for a suit by Bonds against them for malpractice... or breech of contract... or SOMETHING. What a bunch of idiots!

"Just keep denying it, Barry. It'll all blow over." :rolleyes:

I don't think Bonds will face jail time, or much of it, unless Anderson really sold him out, and threw him under the bus. The man has no criminal record, first time offender, and all of that. And oh yeah, he's a celebrity. The "fame card" will play bigger in this than the "race card".

And lastly, again, it amazes me that some people are so glib about everyone else's point of view. I clearly understand that there are a number of OHers who don't care a bit about the PED situation. What I don't get is how they so casually dismiss the fact that there are people who do care. There are fans who are insulted/disappointed/pissed off/whatever about this whole thing. Annoyed at the players for cheating. Irritated at the owners and baseball for letting it happen. And most of all, sad that this is something that diminishes a whole era of baseball and there's no clear way out of this mess.

I hope Bonds does face consequences for his actions. I hope the Mitchell report is not flat out ignored. I hope the HoF and fans come to acknowledge the taint that was the 1990s-2000s. I hope MLB starts putting as much effort into improving their testing system as they do in cover their rear ends about their part in creating this quagmire. In my mind, this blight of PEDs needs to be acknowledged and not ignored because "everyone was doing it". (And no, I don't view it in the same scope as greenies, and spitballs but they certainly are a part of the discussion). This sport, more than many, seems to cherish it's history and this is of huge significance to it.

And here's the important part (to me at least) - I know there are those who disagree and have no interest in this. That's fine. But don't play like nobody cares just because you don't. Thanks for reading.

Were the congressional hearings really under oath? I can't remember.

Yes. However, go back and read the Congressional report, and you'll see the Committee found there was inadequate evidence to conclude that Raffy had committed perjury when he testified before them. Remember his positive drug test came months after he testified, so you could never prove that he had ever taken steroids prior to his tesimony. That is why the Committee did not refer Raffy to the Justice Dept.

I'm thinking Anderson refused to speak up against Bonds until after he broke Hank Aaron's record or something like that. And now that its the offseason and the record is broken, he decided hes been sitting in jail long enough for his friend. Just a theory...

You are misinterpreting the reason for Anderson's release. He was in jail for civil contempt, until such time as he would agree to testify before the grand jury. But when an indictment is issued, the job of the grand jury is at an end. There is no longer a pending grand jury proceeding in which he can give tesitmony, and therefore the judge has no basis to keep him in jail.

I don't think Bonds will face jail time, or much of it, unless Anderson really sold him out, and threw him under the bus.

He will definitely face jail time if he is convicted or pleads guilty. These are felony charges, and under federal sentencing guidelines there will be a minimum amount of time he has to spend in jail.

Archived