Would you be pleased if the Terps agreed to join the Big Ten?

Greg Pappas

Maryland the school is southern in the same way as Maryland the state. It is, except for all of the ways it isn't.

Just because a huge number of students come from Yankee-land doesn't make it a northern school.

I always get in this fight with people. You're right... we're not northern. But we're definitely not southern either. We're mid-atlantic. But if you had to choose between the two, I wouldn't even consider the south. I am about as far from southern as humanly possible. Especially living near DC, I have never felt southern for a day in my life and I don't think that many people at UMD do either.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always get in this fight with people. You're right... we're not northern. But we're definitely not southern either. We're mid-atlantic. But if you had to choose between the two, I wouldn't even consider the south. I am about as far from southern as humanly possible. Especially living near DC, I have never felt southern for a day in my life and I don't think that many people at UMD do either.

Based on your first part I'm betting you also never felt "northern" either. You're a mix, just like the rest of us :P

Don't like iced tea, but if I had to drink it, unsweet. I'm an english breakfast tea person (with milk), after my semester in London.

Definitely soda.

Damn yankee :P

Speaking of the soda/pop/coke thing, there is an awesome study done by ECU...

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Yeah, I'm sweet tea and soda. I'm a mutt.

See? My nose is cold.

I personally have gotten bored witht the ACC football schedule and would be okay with the Big - 10. I think it would improve our recruiting chances with a lot of name players coming out of high school. I like the basketball games with ACC teams better and I want to see our new coach and his higher rated recruits take apart Duke and Carolina in 2012 and beyond. I think the move would really help the football program in more ways than one and you would see the stadium start to fill up if this move is made. Does anyone know whether this is seriously being discussed?

I don't really have a problem with anything you say, other than the fact that you basically spoke for the entire student body in your first post. Like BTerp said, MD has always seemed to me like a really "mixed" school, just as the state is.

I don't really have a problem with anything you say, other than the fact that you basically spoke for the entire student body in your first post. Like BTerp said, MD has always seemed to me like a really "mixed" school, just as the state is.

Not trying to speak for the entire student body, just give a general sense for how I think people feel because I am, you know, a student.

Not trying to speak for the entire student body, just give a general sense for how I think people feel because I am, you know, a student.

Sure, I understand that and appreciate you sharing the thoughts of a current student. But, you did speak for the entire student body - you said "I, and the rest of the students...". Not a big deal - just saying, that's a broad brush.

I don't know anyone that considers Maryland a "southern" school or Maryland a "southern" state.

Drive through the Carolinas and Georgia and Northern Florida some time and then come back and tell me that this is a southern state.

Do you interact with a lot of people from the north? Many of them consider MD a "southern" state.

Archived