Biggest individual disappointment of the season?

Sports Guy

Biggest disappointment this year?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest disappointment this year?

• Matusz
    • Wieters' lack of power
    • Nick's lack of power
    • BRob's concussions
    • Tillman
    • DLee
    • Vlad
    • BP outside of JJ and Koji
    • LF production from Pie and Reimold
    • other..please name

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other for me. I know the OP stated player but in my case the single biggest disappointment has been Buck. Buck came out last year and instilled fear into the players of their jobs. Guys stepped up their game. Even in his spring training presentation he gave the impression that things were going to be different....we have a history here to rediscover. But day in and day out I see a manager who gives the vets more rope than needed to hang themselves 5 times over, doesnt give any regular stable chance to see what he has on the young talent, and whose demeanor for the most part would put anyone to sleep.

Buck had a reputation of going against the grain but having success doing it. Last season made me believe guys would have to earn their job and continue earning the right to keep it. Despite some ridiculously called games earlier in the season, you almost never see Buck come out and stand up for his players...Most of the time the camera is on him he's sitting in his "thinkers" position with his hand on his chin...but I'm starting to wonder if he is just thinking about dinner.

Maybe it is just me being naive or maybe my expectations were misplaced, but this just doesnt feel like the Buck I expected.

Other for me. I know the OP stated player but in my case the single biggest disappointment has been Buck. Buck came out last year and instilled fear into the players of their jobs. Guys stepped up their game. Even in his spring training presentation he gave the impression that things were going to be different....we have a history here to rediscover. But day in and day out I see a manager who gives the vets more rope than needed to hang themselves 5 times over, doesnt give any regular stable chance to see what he has on the young talent, and whose demeanor for the most part would put anyone to sleep.

Buck had a reputation of going against the grain but having success doing it. Last season made me believe guys would have to earn their job and continue earning the right to keep it. Despite some ridiculously called games earlier in the season, you almost never see Buck come out and stand up for his players...Most of the time the camera is on him he's sitting in his "thinkers" position with his hand on his chin...but I'm starting to wonder if he is just thinking about dinner.

Maybe it is just me being naive or maybe my expectations were misplaced, but this just doesnt feel like the Buck I expected.

If the players are devoid of talent he will lose games.

Matt Wieters has the 6th highest WAR among catchers in the entire MLB. That's 30 teams. He is a good player. No getting around that.
Of course there is "getting around that", all one has to do is look at the entire picture.

He is 6th in all of baseball, but considering there are only 11 catchers in all of baseball that qualify he is in the dead middle. One small step ahead of Russell Martin. I expected a hell of a lot more than a middle of the road catcher, which is exactly what he is.

If the players are devoid of talent he will lose games.

I dont believe the end of last season was a fluke. We played good ball over an extended period. That doesnt happen for team with no talent and I believe the perceived change of landscape brought that out. Unfortunately it appears it went the way of the Dodo bird this season.

BTW, I know SG and I and some others have made this point countless times but can we please stop mitigating Wieters' awful season with "well he's good for a catcher." That never has been and never will be the point. The point is that he was supposed to be the cornerstone of our offense, a cleanup hitter who would give us elite numbers year in and year out. He was supposed to be a sublime OVERALL PLAYER not just a "very good catcher."

I find this interesting. I can not for one second say that Wieters has lived up to the hype when it comes to his hitting. I don't know that anyone ever could. But he has not been that middle of the line up guy that almost everyone expected. That is a given. What seems to be ignored is that he a FAR and away better as a defensive catcher then ANYONE expected. He has exceeded those expectations by more then he has under performed his expectations as a hitter. I can recall all the chatter on this board about how many days a week he would play first base, because he wasn't a great defensive catcher. He has figured out how to be a great defensive catcher in his first couple of years, something that some guys never figure out. I have a feeling if he led the league in passed balls, was well below average in throwing guys out and called a horrible game, but had 25 jacks right now, the same people that are calling him a bust, would be screaming that we need a great defensive catcher with our young staff. Move him to first base. Then there would be screams that he was a wasted pick, because 1st basemen that hit HRs are a dime a dozen. Bla bla bla. Calling him a bust is not paying attention. Am I happy with his offensive production no. But I am thrilled with him as a defensive catcher. You say you want it all? Fine, so do I, but im not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Of course there is "getting around that", all one has to do is look at the entire picture.

He is 6th in all of baseball, but considering there are only 11 catchers in all of baseball that qualify he is in the dead middle. One small step ahead of Russell Martin. I expected a hell of a lot more than a middle of the road catcher, which is exactly what he is.

If you are looking at it in terms of WAR you have to take into account tht adefensiveve components are sketchy and of all defensive numbers, catchers' numbers are the hardest to nail down. So I wouldn't give much credence to numbers in this regard. I think scouting reports are more useful.

In regards to Wieters, I had already lowered my expectations coming into this year. He's below where I thought he would be but not by a huge margin. Now, if you're looking long term than Wieters is the answer here. I still believe Matusz is going to be a very good ML pitcher.

I find this interesting. I can not for one second say that Wieters has lived up to the hype when it comes to his hitting. I don't know that anyone ever could. But he has not been that middle of the line up guy that almost everyone expected. That is a given. What seems to be ignored is that he a FAR and away better as a defensive catcher then ANYONE expected. He has exceeded those expectations by more then he has under performed his expectations as a hitter. I can recall all the chatter on this board about how many days a week he would play first base, because he wasn't a great defensive catcher. He has figured out how to be a great defensive catcher in his first couple of years, something that some guys never figure out. I have a feeling if he led the league in passed balls, was well below average in throwing guys out and called a horrible game, but had 25 jacks right now, the same people that are calling him a bust, would be screaming that we need a great defensive catcher with our young staff. Move him to first base. Then there would be screams that he was a wasted pick, because 1st basemen that hit HRs are a dime a dozen. Bla bla bla. Calling him a bust is not paying attention. Am I happy with his offensive production no. But I am thrilled with him as a defensive catcher. You say you want it all? Fine, so do I, but im not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I am. I am sick of excuses for the ORIOLES. I am tired of mediocrity. Failures. Last place.

Some of you are mixing words. The poll option is "Wieters' lack of power." Nowhere does it says "Wieters being a bust of a pick."

Some of you are mixing words. The poll option is "Wieters' lack of power." Nowhere does it says "Wieters being a bust of a pick."

His lack of power means he is a bust. Same idea. We werent expecting a defensive whiz. We were expecting a really good hitter with power. he has 10 homeruns and 40 rbi's this season. If you want to compete with the yanks, etc., you need REALLY GOOD PLAYERS! Hall of famers! Like the O's use to have.

His lack of power means he is a bust. Same idea. We werent expecting a defensive whiz. We were expecting a really good hitter with power. he has 10 homeruns and 40 rbi's this season. If you want to compete with the yanks, etc., you need REALLY GOOD PLAYERS! Hall of famers! Like the O's use to have.

I disagree with your first sentence. His lack of power is disappointing, which is the question asked. Lacking in one aspect of his game does not make him a bust, especially at 25 years old. That's the one thing everyone is missing here. I am making no excuses for this team's play, but this is a group of young kids. They were not ready to compete for a World Series this season. Even the most optimistic of us had them maybe getting over .500 this year. Not too many thought we'd be a playoff contender. We've had injuries and poor play that has put us where we are now, but I for one and not ready to give up on under 25 year old kids because of one bad year. And I certainly won't call Wieters a BUST because he has 11 homers instead of 25.

Archived