What kind of contract do you think Markakis would have gotten this offseason if he were a free agent

Frobby

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say something similar to Francouer but a little bit more because of his defensive reputation. I'll say 2/16 maybe with an option year as well.

First of all, my question is what Nick would get as a free agent, not what the Orioles should offer him. Either way, its ludicrous to think a 27 year old player who consistently puts up seasons valued in excess of $10 mm would earn 2/$16 on the open market. You just lost a ton of credibility on the topic of Markakis.

Boston would be all over Markakis...they would give him a big deal and he would have multiple AS appearances.

This is spot on IMO. I would venture to guess that most of baseball would have a higher opinion of Markakis than people on this site as a whole. We say he wouldn't have a big market, but teams like the Braves and Red Sox would be a good fit IMO. Those two teams are not the Orioles, players actually want to play there and they win.

Markakis gets a 5/$60M deal at the minimum, IMO. I think a team like the Red Sox would consider going 5/$70M on him because all they would be doing is giving him JD Drew's money.

First of all, my question is what Nick would get as a free agent, not what the Orioles should offer him. Either way, its ludicrous to think a 27 year old player who consistently puts up seasons valued in excess of $10 mm would earn 2/$16 on the open market. You just lost a ton of credibility on the topic of Markakis.

And you just proved you can't be objective and actually look at his recent body of work of which that contract would be based.

Nick isn't the player he was in 2008.

Teams aren't going to give out a huge deal to a player that only plays good 2-3 months out of the season.

And you just proved you can't be objective and actually look at his recent body of work of which that contract would be based.

You must be joking and/or trying to mess with other posters. Seriously, you must. You obviously watch baseball, and know something about the game. You obviously have seen worse contracts than those suggested for Markakis get handed over to older, worse players than Markakis on a regular basis on the open market.

Accordingly, my only question would be...honestly...how and why could you purport to believe something so stupid?

Teams aren't going to give out a huge deal to a player that only plays good 2-3 months out of the season.

You attempting to call out anyone for a lack of objectivity is pretty hilarious.

Boston and both New York teams would be all over Markakis if he hit the free agent market. In fact, they'd be criminally stupid not to be. He'd go there and make multiple All Star teams, almost regardless of what he does each year, bank on it.

They might be all over him, but nobody would give him a deal more than 3 years.

This season has been an outright disaster for him, so teams would be wary of committing to somebody who looks like they are on the decline IMO.

I didn't say he'd get a huge deal. Nor did I base my comment on anything other than what Nick has been worth from 2009-11. You are the one who isn't being objective here.

They might be all over him, but nobody would give him a deal more than 3 years.

This season has been an outright disaster for him, so teams would be wary of committing to somebody who looks like they are on the decline IMO.

The only things about his season that've been "down" have been his SLG% and doubles, and he still has an OPS+ of 108. He's also on pace for 17 HR and 76 RBI...which obviously represent improvements on his 2010 campaign. How is that disastrous?

He's basically turning in a typical season at this point.

You must be joking and/or trying to mess with other posters. Seriously, you must. You obviously watch baseball, and know something about the game. You obviously have seen worse contracts than those suggested for Markakis get handed over to older, worse players than Markakis on a regular basis on the open market.

Accordingly, my only question would be...honestly...how and why could you purport to believe something so stupid?

I think he'd get a 2 year deal with an option year. And I think the team would be smart to put some incentives in there and wouldn't guarantee a whole lot. Markakis seems like an underachiever that needs motivation to play well. So I'd say 8/16 + incentives and an option year.

Cuddyer I don't see getting more than 3/30 and he's a more valuable player than Markakis even at his older age.

I think the Werth and Crawford contracts may have soured some teams and owners a bit and I think they might try to rein things back in this offseason.

So when I say Markakis will get less, I think everybody will get less.

The only things about his season that've been "down" have been his SLG% and doubles, and he still has an OPS+ of 108. He's also on pace for 17 HR and 76 RBI...which obviously represent improvements on his 2010 campaign. How is that disastrous?

He's basically turning in a typical season at this point.

His OBP is down. His walks are down for sure. Nick has always been a guy that has been known to get on base. Since June he's been doing that, but these slumps he's on when he can't hit a beach ball because nother works have grown progressively worse.

Archived