Talks with Mets pick back up

bigbird

Dare I say it....?

I just read a rumor about a possible (but unlikely) deal sending Santana to the Bosox for a package of Ellsbury and possibly Buchholz. Is that the kind of deal we could get with Bedard?

Another question that maybe you should be asking is:

Do we have that kind of talent to get Santana... :002_ssuprised:

Santana (Johan)

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

Whoever wasn't traded to get Johan...

Not bad huh? :002_sbiggrin:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another question you might should be asking is:

Do we have that kind of talant to get Santana... :002_ssuprised:

Santana (Johan)

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

This would be the only time in baseball history where there were 2 possible 20 game winners that only won 7 games, but had an ERA of 3.00. lol anemic offense.

Santana (Johan)

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

The Yankees and Boston have a good chance of trading for Santana and signing him. The O's have amost no chance of signing him long term.

Santana (Johan)

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

Holy Lefties!

We'd have to give up half the city to get Johan.

The Yankees and Boston have a good chance of trading for Santana and signing him. The O's have amost no chance of signing him long term.

And why would that be? We have the money for A-Rod, we'd have the money for Santana. Money is not an issue for this franchise. Show Santana the $ and he'd sign here.

My gut says they'll make a show of trying to sign him, but they know Bedard would prefer to play elsewhere, so they would prefer to trade him for a huge package.

People keep saying this but there is absolutely no factual basis for it. Bedard HAS NEVER SAID he didn't like playing in Baltimore. Of course, even if he didn't, he's probably smart enough not to come out and say it, but that's hardly proof.

I, for one, don't think its far-fetched to think that he might prefer to stay in Baltimore as opposed to being traded to LA or NY. Here the media is relatively tame, he's comfortable and knows what to expect, and there isn't a whole lot of pressure on him like there would be in another city where they traded away the farm to get him to be the last piece or handed him some gigantic contract. This board acts like a self-prepetuating myth. Somebody alludes to something and it is repeated ad nauseum and inflated and expanded until it becomes accepted truth.

And why would that be? We have the money for A-Rod, we'd have the money for Santana. Money is not an issue for this franchise. Show Santana the $ and he'd sign here.

Winning. Santana will get money where ever he signs long term. I would think he would want to be on a winner. The O's could out bid everyone by millions and still not get him to sign. Boston offers 150M, the O's offers 160M. Who do you think Santana would sign with? After how get to that money range other things like winning become more important then a few more million.

My gut says they'll make a show of trying to sign him, but they know Bedard would prefer to play elsewhere, so they would prefer to trade him for a huge package.

If the O's offer Bedard a nice long term he may sign for one reason. Risk. Because there are two years before he can become a FA, right now Bedard has all the risk of a career altering injury. If he signs with the O's now, that risk moves to the O's.

People keep saying this but there is absolutely no factual basis for it. Bedard HAS NEVER SAID he didn't like playing in Baltimore. Of course, even if he didn't, he's probably smart enough not to come out and say it, but that's hardly proof.

I, for one, don't think its far-fetched to think that he might prefer to stay in Baltimore as opposed to being traded to LA or NY. Here the media is relatively tame, he's comfortable and knows what to expect, and there isn't a whole lot of pressure on him like there would be in another city where they traded away the farm to get him to be the last piece or handed him some gigantic contract. This board acts like a self-prepetuating myth. Somebody alludes to something and it is repeated ad nauseum and inflated and expanded until it becomes accepted truth.

Bedard is no dummy.

He knows that he is:

a) 29 yrs old

b) injury prone

c) two loooong years away from FA

d) may have just had his career year

Whether he wants to play in Balto or not is secondary to his goal of attaining financial security.

He will likely accept any reasonable extension that is offered, unless he is a risky gambler.

He can always ask for a trade during the duration of the contract. If he signs an extension, it would be interesting to how much and how hard he negotiates for any type of no-trade clause protection.

But, those same reasons listed about are why the wise course of action for the Orioles would be to deal him now before his value tanks.

b) injury prone

This is an example of a self perpetuating myth that becomes gospel here. Bedard had TJ surgey in;02-03, since 04 he has had two injuries a knee and an oblique. Nothing major, arm related. The last 2 year he has pitched 196 and 182 innings. Yet people talk about him like he's AJ Burnett or Carl Pavano.

This is an example of a self perpetuating myth that becomes gospel here. Bedard had TJ surgey in;02-03, since 04 he has had two injuries a knee and an oblique. Nothing major, arm related. The last 2 year he has pitched 196 and 182 innings. Yet people talk about him like he's AJ Burnett or Carl Pavano.

Injury prone doesn't have to mean arm related - if the guy hurts something he's going to miss games. He's only really had one healthy season in the majors and he's not getting any younger. A knee injury sidelined him for two months and the oblique ended his season. I doubt you can count on him to pitch 200+ innings because he hasn't shown he can do it yet without getting hurt, therefore the injury prone label fits...

No one talks about him like this...You just take it that way, which isn't all that surprising.

However, when thinking about signing him long term, this is something you have worry about him.

You better believe if the Orioles go to arbitration with Bedard, they will bring it up.

If something minor crops up every year and every year he missed 3-5 starts, that is 3-5 starts you have to use a minor leaguer or swingman to pitch for you. That could make a huge difference later on.

Archived