Talks with Mets pick back up

bigbird

The fact that the Mets thought enough of Martinez to advance him to AA at age 18, and that he proved them right by more than holding his own at that level, should tell you everything you need to know about what kind of special prospect the guy is.

It's not like there's a chart out there that tells you what kind of OPS is considered OK/good/great for an 18 YO at AA -- because that rarely happens.

You need to recalibrate your OPS-meter drastically when considering Martinez. A 713 for him means something much different than a 713 for your average Joe AA player. Thus my comment, "statistics aside." Statistics don't begin to tell the story here.

Martinez may have a huge upside, but I'd much rather have Kershaw. There's only a 7 month difference in their ages. Ignoring age, Kershaw has performed very well, and Martinez hasn't. I'd guess that Martinez will need at least 2 - probably 3 - more years in the minors, and then probably struggle for a couple of years in the majors. If Kershaw sharpens his control, he could be up by the end of the season and be a quality player in 2009.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that the Mets thought enough of Martinez to advance him to AA at age 18, and that he proved them right by more than holding his own at that level, should tell you everything you need to know about what kind of special prospect the guy is.

It's not like there's a chart out there that tells you what kind of OPS is considered OK/good/great for an 18 YO at AA -- because that rarely happens.

You need to recalibrate your OPS-meter drastically when considering Martinez. A 713 for him means something much different than a 713 for your average Joe AA player. Thus my comment, "statistics aside." Statistics don't begin to tell the story here.

Actually it would be great to have a fully-calibrated OPS meter to adjust for age per level, the same way MiL stats can be adjusted as equivalent ML stats, or league averages are adjusted for ballpark or neutral era. Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

I wouldn't worry about some small sample sizes (18 yr-olds in AA) getting in the way; there are plenty of "stathead" managers who bat the career .240 guy over the career .270 guy if he's 4-12 instead of 2-18 against a particular pitcher ... especially if he's ten years older. :rolleyes:

I for one, am very skeptical of this information. I'm not sure we really want Humber anyway. We have enough Humbers already. We need a young bat.

If there is any truth to this report, it would appear that McPhail is trying to acquire young pitching feeling that it is some he can flip in other trades.

If there is any truth to this report, it would appear that McPhail is trying to acquire young pitching feeling that it is some he can flip in other trades.

Too many times it seems like we (Orioles fans) assume that all of our pitching prospects will pan out. That's just not the case. We're going to get Matt Riley's now and again. You can NEVER have too much young pitching. It never, ever hurts. Maybe you have depth there, they all pan out, and you can deal them. Or, maybe some of them don't amount to much, and you're glad you have extras.

A lot of people around here seem to only want to deal for hitting, almost assuming that our pitching is already fine (not you wildcard, your post just made me think of this). Well, Bedard might be gone. D-Cab isn't any good. Guts has had one good season. And, that leaves a lot of guys who have yet to make any contribution in the majors for the remaining spots. Let's not rule out going after young pitching as an afterthought. IMO, we need more of that too.

Too many times it seems like we (Orioles fans) assume that all of our pitching prospects will pan out. That's just not the case. We're going to get Matt Riley's now and again. You can NEVER have too much young pitching. It never, ever hurts. Maybe you have depth there, they all pan out, and you can deal them. Or, maybe some of them don't amount to much, and you're glad you have extras.

A lot of people around here seem to only want to deal for hitting, almost assuming that our pitching is already fine (not you wildcard, your post just made me think of this). Well, Bedard might be gone. D-Cab isn't any good. Guts has had one good season. And, that leaves a lot of guys who have yet to make any contribution in the majors for the remaining spots. Let's not rule out going after young pitching as an afterthought. IMO, we need more of that too.

That was the cornerstone of the Braves success.

No matter how small or big of a trade- they always asked for a last minute " throw-in" that was a young pitcher. It didn't matter how highly rated the prospect was. They were simply looking for young warm bodies (young low A types mainly).

The more pitchers, the better the chances of developing successes.

MacPhail could be taking a page out of the Atlanta book. And that would be a good idea. ;)

That was the cornerstone of the Braves success.

No matter how small or big of a trade- they always asked for a last minute " throw-in" that was a young pitcher. It didn't matter how highly rated the prospect was. They were simply looking for young warm bodies (young low A types mainly).

The more pitchers, the better the chances of developing successes.

MacPhail could be taking a page out of the Atlanta book. And that would be a good idea. ;)

We already took the Mazzone page out. I hope the next page they take out isn't the "John Rocker page.";)

Archived