Talks with Mets pick back up

bigbird

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference between Kershaw and Martinez is that Kershaw has had very good success while Martinez has not.

So while they both may have high ceilings and are very young, the actual performance of Kershaw clearly puts him ahead.

Martinez is younger than Kershaw, and also playing at a higher level.

Martinez just spent almost all of his age 18 season at AA.

Kershaw just spent almost all of his age 19 season at low A.

Statistics aside, it's clear that Martinez is more advanced, at a younger age. He was named the #3 prospect in the Eastern League. Not bad for an 18 YO.

Right. Also, Kemp outperformed Milledge in their respective limited ML AB's.

The potential might be the same, but Kemp & Kershaw are already starting to hit their projections. Martinez might be a great prospect but he hasn't shown any power yet, and his numbers in the FSL and in AA were underwhelming. I'll concede that he was extremely young for each level but the results just aren't there yet.

The only reason you take Milledge over Kemp is because Milledge can play CF but really, there is not much to think about there.

The only reason you take Milledge over Kemp is because Milledge can play CF but really, there is not much to think about there.

Kemp has played CF for the dodgers, I saw him one webgems one time. It's not his preferred position, but he can play it

Huh? .............................:confused:

LOL

Martinez was rated a top 3 prospect because he is a top talent...No one is denying that.

And putting up a 713 OPS, as an 18 y.o, in AA is pretty impressive.

But Kershaw is still performing much better.

I would certainly like to get Martinez, there is no doubt about that....I am just not sure the Mets have another 2-3 players to go with him that would make me pull the trigger on a Bedard deal.

I would be willing to bet money that the Orioles would not be interested in Milledge, for the off-field issues. You can agree, or you can disagree, but the old Orioles Way management wouldn't have done it. It would never have happened when Flanagan had front office authority.

He no longer has that authority, but I suspect MacPhail has similar ideas.

You recall Flanagan's emphasis on the psychological testing (that has obviously still been in use--just look at what people are saying about the top draft choices). An early article about that reported that two other major league teams also used that approach--Atlanta and Minnesota. And Minnesota is where MacPhail came from.

I could be wrong, and perhaps they are interested in acquiring him. But I would not anticipate it, even if a trade with the Mets were finalized. If he is included, it would be out of character for MacPhail and Flanagan both.

Or because you care about more than just OPS.

Milledge is a much superior baserunner and defender and is just generally much more complete player.

The Dodgers' reasons for considering trading Kemp go well beyond his dustup with Jeff Kent. I'd refer you to Roy Firestone's commentary on the subject. I don't generally consider Mr. Firestone an expert on player evaluation matters, but the gist of what he said about Kemp I've heard other places as well.

Milledge is a much superior baserunner and defender and is just generally much more complete player.

The Dodgers' reasons for considering trading Kemp go well beyond his dustup with Jeff Kent. I'd refer you to Roy Firestone's commentary on the subject. I don't generally consider Mr. Firestone an expert on player evaluation matters, but the gist of what he said about Kemp I've heard other places as well.

So Kemp is an airhead and Milledge is a fat head. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

LOL

Martinez was rated a top 3 prospect because he is a top talent...No one is denying that.

And putting up a 713 OPS, as an 18 y.o, in AA is pretty impressive.

But Kershaw is still performing much better.

I would certainly like to get Martinez, there is no doubt about that....I am just not sure the Mets have another 2-3 players to go with him that would make me pull the trigger on a Bedard deal.

The fact that the Mets thought enough of Martinez to advance him to AA at age 18, and that he proved them right by more than holding his own at that level, should tell you everything you need to know about what kind of special prospect the guy is.

It's not like there's a chart out there that tells you what kind of OPS is considered OK/good/great for an 18 YO at AA -- because that rarely happens.

You need to recalibrate your OPS-meter drastically when considering Martinez. A 713 for him means something much different than a 713 for your average Joe AA player. Thus my comment, "statistics aside." Statistics don't begin to tell the story here.

I listened to a lot of Dodger baseball this past season (went to a half-dozen or so games) and I too think that Kemp needs to work on his baserunning skills (to be kind). I think Roy Firestones characterization "to the point of absurdity" is a little harsh. I don't have anything to add on his fielding judgement except to say that I too don't think he's a CF.

If we're going to insist on a young ML-ready player from the Dodgers (clearly as the centerpiece of a Bedard trade) we should be focussing on Loney IMO. We don't exactly have stellar 1B options after all.

Furthermore, in an ideal world we'd be moving Millar and Huff anyway and we would need to add a 1B. I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath for those trades.

Archived