Nolan Reimold and the Infield Single

OFFNY

Yes, but Reimold isn't giving you a 3-5 WAR LF either. You have to pay to play. Jones will cost you about 5M. and give you the 3 WAR or 2.7 x his cost in production. Reimold wil give you 1.7 WAR at about .5 K or 17 x his cost in production. So yeah, we should be trading Reimold for all that SP we need, not Jones. Teams will be knocking the warehouse door down for him.

Nice. This is the type of analysis that I think makes the most sense. Trying to get the most productivity out of your investment instead of breaking even or losing money. These are terms that are a little more measureable to most people.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice. This is the type of analysis that I think makes the most sense. Trying to get the most productivity out of your investment instead of breaking even or losing money. These are terms that are a little more measureable to most people.
Actually I am off with Jones WAR. I'd bet his UZR improves a lot in LF making him a 3.5-4 WAR player at the same cost.

Remove the blinders....Reimold has both the foot speed to beat out infield hits and can hit for power. If you extrapolate Reimold's current stats out to give him 600 or so AB's, you'll see about 28 HR's and 90+ RBI's. As for the BA, play him a a regular and IMO he'll be a .270+ hitter. I'll take that in a full time left fielder.

Of course the other side to that argument is that he's 27, is probably peaking now, and has never actually put up a 600 AB, 28 HR or 90 RBI season at any level, majors or minors. And his career professional batting average isn't .270, including several minor league stops where he was old for his level and/or was repeating the league.

I like Reimold in a lot of ways, but penciling in a guy for a level of production he barely reached in the minors and never has approached in the majors, at the age of 28, seems like a reach.

Of course the other side to that argument is that he's 27, is probably peaking now, and has never actually put up a 600 AB, 28 HR or 90 RBI season at any level, majors or minors. And his career professional batting average isn't .270, including several minor league stops where he was old for his level and/or was repeating the league.

I like Reimold in a lot of ways, but penciling in a guy for a level of production he barely reached in the minors and never has approached in the majors, at the age of 28, seems like a reach.

I think if you gave Reimold 600 PA you'd get 25+ HR and 80+ RBI and an OBP approaching .350. He's got a lot of good attributes as a hitter: power, patience and speed out of the batter's box. He has always been slump-prone, even as a minor leaguer, and that's what you have to watch out for.

I think he is better then the other in house options but I would not disregard him being traded or someone else being brought in over him.

Yeah, he could be traded but if he's still here he'll have a reg job. At least to start the year. I don't think he's going to get slack like an established veteran.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This afternoon, Nolan Reimold started the winning rally in the 10th inning today with his 14th infield single of the season. Of his 52 hits overall this season, 32 of them have been singles ... hence, almost half of his singles have been of the infield variety. He also gives it his best effort when he is on base to get the extra bag if at all possible. One thing that Reimold cannot be accused of is not hustling on the base-paths. :thumbsup1:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reimono01&year=2011&t=b

Nolan ........ We sure missed your infield singles this year.

If I had a nickel for every time that OH fans blew their tops (myself included) in the game threads for all of the double plays that we hit into this year, I'd have quite a few dollars.

Here's to hoping that you are back and healthy in 2013, and may we see you blazing out of the batter's box on every single ground ball that you hit without fail. I'm hard-pressed to think of any right-handed batters that went/go from home plate to first base faster than you do on ground balls.

Infield hit leaders for the 2012 Orioles:

Jones 30

Hardy 16

Wieters 10

Jones's high total is a testament to his speed and hustle, but it's probably not going to be repeated. His previous high was 21.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year the Matt Wieters would have 10 infield hits by years end I'd be doing a jig.:)

As I've said before, I would NOT be upselt with a Reimold/McLouth platoon in left going into 2013.

And Socalbirdfan/Frobby, I laugh every time I see a Wieters infield single. Always wonder if the scorer should call it an error just because.

For shame!!! Of course not, the way he runs he should get a special exemption and GET TWO HITS FOR ONE.;)

Infield hit leaders for the 2012 Orioles:

Jones 30

Hardy 16

Wieters 10

Jones's high total is a testament to his speed and hustle, but it's probably not going to be repeated. His previous high was 21.

How in the world does Matt have ten infield singles? I guess he just played so many games and hit so many ground balls that he got a lot of chances.

Archived