Nolan Reimold and the Infield Single

OFFNY

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems Reimold is not packing it in. He has lots to play for. His whole future. Love to see this kid run out balls.

First, I am not a Reimold hater, but their is one month difference in age between Reimold and Markakis, both nearing 28. Few would call Markakis "kid". I like Reimold, but I would prefer an upgrade in left.

I like Reimold the offensive player. I'm just not that crazy about his defense. He really does get out of the box fast. It's not just a matter of hustle; he has really good "burst" speed and can get there in a hurry, even compared to players who are a little faster than he is overall. The fact that he can manufacture some infield hits really helps him a lot.

I like Reimold the offensive player. I'm just not that crazy about his defense. He really does get out of the box fast. It's not just a matter of hustle; he has really good "burst" speed and can get there in a hurry, even compared to players who are a little faster than he is overall. The fact that he can manufacture some infield hits really helps him a lot.

He's definitely explosive. He's a truck once he gets moving because of his size and speed combo. Can he catch a football? Maybe he is the missing deep threat the Ravens desperately need haha

This is something that puzzles me. I don't understand why he is not better out there. He has all the tools to be a good fielder. Looking at him you would think that he would be much better than what he actual is in the field.

Correct, second fastest time of any RH hitter. That's pretty impressive, and yes, it leads to a lot of infield hits. You have to hand it to Reimold that he has a good eye, good power and can get to 1B in a hurry.
This is something that puzzles me. I don't understand why he is not better out there. He has all the tools to be a good fielder. Looking at him you would think that he would be much better than what he actual is in the field.

The thing that puzzles me is how a guy can be so explosively fast but have so little evidence of it on the ballfield. He has four career triples, and never had more than three in any minor league season. He's a -7 career defender by both TZ and UZR/150. He has 15 career stolen bases and (since 2006 in low A) has never had 10 steals at any stop along the minor league ladder. The only thing that shows him as using that speed is the fact he's 5th in the majors (min 100 PAs) in infield hits as a percentage of ground balls.

The thing that puzzles me is how a guy can be so explosively fast but have so little evidence of it on the ballfield. He has four career triples, and never had more than three in any minor league season. He's a -7 career defender by both TZ and UZR/150. He has 15 career stolen bases and (since 2006 in low A) has never had 10 steals at any stop along the minor league ladder. The only thing that shows him as using that speed is the fact he's 5th in the majors (min 100 PAs) in infield hits as a percentage of ground balls.

To me this just proves what hustle can do for a ballplayer. 90 feet is NOT that far. For those who have played infield, when you have a grounder hit to you and you see a guy chugging down the first baseline, it makes you rush. It makes you hurry your throw sometimes. It makes you deliberate in making sure you field the ball cleanly. I think its not necessarily that Nolan is that "fast." Its more the fact that he hustles to first base inlike any player I can remember in recent memory. Palmer said it best last night..."This guy ALWAYS hustles out grounders."

First, I am not a Reimold hater, but their is one month difference in age between Reimold and Markakis, both nearing 28. Few would call Markakis "kid". I like Reimold, but I would prefer an upgrade in left.

Of course if you look at the numbers you will see Reimold is outproducing Markakis offensively and defensively this season.

He's 15 of 19 career in stolen bases. He had 8 in '09 in 350 ABs and has 7 so far this year in 250 Abs. We know in '09 he was dealing with the Achillies injury. With a near 80 % success rate in stolen bases he probably should be turned loose more often but I'm willing to bet he doesn't have a green light to go when he wants. In the future, if he gets the green light, or quite possibly even if he doesn't, 20+ SBs is real a possibility with a full season worth of ABs.

To me this just proves what hustle can do for a ballplayer. 90 feet is NOT that far. For those who have played infield, when you have a grounder hit to you and you see a guy chugging down the first baseline, it makes you rush. It makes you hurry your throw sometimes. It makes you deliberate in making sure you field the ball cleanly. I think its not necessarily that Nolan is that "fast." Its more the fact that he hustles to first base inlike any player I can remember in recent memory. Palmer said it best last night..."This guy ALWAYS hustles out grounders."

Like I said before, it's not just about the hustle. He's just explosive out of the box. Nick almost always hustles, but he's just not as fast. Jones almost always hustles, and even though I think he's faster than Reimold over a longer stretch, he simply doesn't get to 1B as fast as Nolan can.

Actually, now that I think about it, we really haven't heard many complaints this year about guys not hustling to first base, compared to past seasons.

Like I said before, it's not just about the hustle. He's just explosive out of the box. Nick almost always hustles, but he's just not as fast. Jones almost always hustles, and even though I think he's faster than Reimold over a longer stretch, he simply doesn't get to 1B as fast as Nolan can.

Actually, now that I think about it, we really haven't heard many complaints this year about guys not hustling to first base, compared to past seasons.

#1 culprit has been sidelined with concussion symptoms all year.

Wieters doesn't always bust down the line, but I think he is (and should be) exempt, as his legs need to be as fresh as possible. Dig out a double, not a grounder.

Archived