Rosenthal: Buck Has "Carte Blanche" From Angelos

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true we will be seeing what Buck is all about this offseason. As far as I'm concerned the only way the Orioles will pull out of this 14 year funk is to put all of their eggs in one basket and see what happens. If it's Buck's basket, so be it.

Orioes owner Peter Angelos is willing to give Buck Showalter practically anything he wants.

Angelos, according to multiple sources, has suggested to Showalter that he can remain manager, become GM, or even assume both roles. Whitey Herzog held both posiitions with the cardinals in 1981-82, no one has done it since. Obviously the Orioles must resolve Andy MacPhail's situation before making any moves.

Personally I think this is good news and is probably what Showalter had in mind when he took the position in the first place.

Personally I think this is good news and is probably what Showalter had in mind when he took the position in the first place.

I said there was a reason Buck took this job.

I think it's been said though he'd rather manage as he's not up to speed on negotiations and the transaction part of the game. I expect him to bring in a GM to get him what he wants.

I also expect him to clean out the FO.

I expect a major run at Prince Fielder or Pujols as Buck wants a slugging 1B man in the middle of this lineup. I wouldn't be shocked to see us add some FA pitching as well.

This is shaping up to be the 1995-1996 offseason if things go right.

One aspect of intelligence is knowing personal limitations. Another the other is understanding "systemic" intelligence - born of form and function rather than individual genius.

If Buck is as intelligent as he thinks he is, I suspect he'll decline the opportunity to do both. I'll be sorely disappointed if he doesn't - the GMs job is not just difficult, it requires a kind of thinking about development that managers simply don't share (as Buck's refusal to play young players suggests).

We'll be abandoning any system of checks and balances for a kind of totalitarianism that looks appealing when (i) chaos exists; and (ii) hopelessness exists; and (iii) a seemingly messianic leader presents himself. I'd say "I don't have to explain the problems with totalitarianism," but who knows? Ha.

One aspect of intelligence is knowing personal limitations. Another the other is understanding "systemic" intelligence - born of form and function rather than individual genius.

If Buck is as intelligent as he thinks he is, I suspect he'll decline the opportunity to do both. I'll be sorely disappointed if he doesn't - the GMs job is not just difficult, it requires a kind of thinking about development that managers simply don't share (as Buck's refusal to play young players suggests).

We'll be abandoning any system of checks and balances for a kind of totalitarianism that looks appealing when (i) chaos exists; and (ii) hopelessness exists; and (iii) a seemingly messianic leader presents himself. I'd say "I don't have to explain the problems with totalitarianism," but who knows? Ha.

Are you saying Jesus Christ can't pick the right closer?

Lucky,

The system the last 14 years hasn't worked. Is it possible that things could get worse? The orioles are at a point of no return. Fans are leaving this team, attendance numbers are down. Time for drastic changes. Is the proposed change practical? Probably not, but at this point, the only down side is the O's having the worst record in baseball, instead of being the second worst team in MLB.

Sorry, but Showalter is not a "baseball Einstein." I think a lot of us are seriously questioning even his basic managing ability. IMHO, any manager who keeps bringing Kevin Gregg in to close out a close game.....heck, any game!.... has a serious cognitive disability involving his judgment. Gregg is predictable and Showalter can't, or refuses to, see that. As Mr. Einstein said...."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Lucky,

The system the last 14 years hasn't worked. Is it possible that things could get worse? The orioles are at a point of no return. Fans are leaving this team, attendance numbers are down. Time for drastic changes. Is the proposed change practical? Probably not, but at this point, the only down side is the O's having the worst record in baseball, instead of being the second worst team in MLB.

And it's this logic that explains why it happens. Hey, I get it. I just don't agree, and think it will be a debacle.

Lucky,

The downside would be destroying the farm so that they are the worst team in baseball for the next 5-10 years instead of the 5th worst team in baseball....

Yea I guess it doesn't matter how bad they screw up does it?

Archived