Rosenthal: Buck Has "Carte Blanche" From Angelos

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously this offseason will tell a lot about Buck's autonomy...

Maybe to you. I think the rest of us have a good handle on what "autonomy" means under Angelos.

Of course, history will repeat itself and you'll freak out as usual. So we have that going for us.

I want to make clear, though my memory of the 1980s is far better than my memory of the 1990s, it's still just that, a memory. And it's possible it's the result of reinforcement over the years. I've built a reasonable belief that I remember correctly based upon after-remarks like those in the articles linked. That said, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Even if it's the case, however, I'm not going to hold 25 years of a grudge against someone I don't even know. Rosenthal may be a good guy. As far as second chances go, I'd hope (but certainly not expect) that folks would treat me the same way.

I've met him once and he seemed like a good guy. Most of my thinking on the guy comes from Tim Kurkjian, who told me he both likes and respects him a lot. Carries a lot of weight for me because Tim is a great and really down to earth guy.

It absolutely amazes me how much credit you give Angelos.

I'm just reading the situation.

It amazes me how people ignore all the reports about Buck being trusted by Angelos, Buck taking veiled shots at MacPhail and the way the Orioles do things now, and the fact that Buck Showalter who was Angelos' choice in the first place actually came to work for an owner with a bad reputation and a team with major issues.

The signs point to Buck being allowed to gut this FO, kick MacPhail out the door and start to focus on winning now at the ML level while rebuilding the organization from the FO down.

I think we will see major needed changes this offseason at both the philosophy of this team in the way it approaches FA and the pursuit of talent in general and the organizational structure.

Angelos wants to win now and Buck wants to win now. We will see if those two make the moves necessary to do that.

Really... after it broke several months ago that Andy MacPhail no longer knew his role within this organization you could feel that Peter Angelos and his cronies were back to their meddling way.

We can argue about how relevant and competent Andy MacPhail is - but he is respected around baseball.

Therefore - despite all this chatter that Buck is going to be the Oriole's savior and Peter Angelos is going to relent control - the way this "transition" is occurring is just another example as how disgustingly incompetent and unprofessional this organization is.

And if Buck is going to given some responsibility to bring in a higher quality GM - don't believe for a second that those he approach won't have in the back of their mind how the organization and Buck treated Andy MacPhail (as well as all the others before him) these past few months.

Buck now has the Peter Angelos stink on him. Buck's "things are going to be different" arguement is going to be much more difficult to prove if people think that he is now just a figurehead in the new Oriole Way (wich is the Peter Angelos Way) of treating their GM/Baseball Ops employees with disrespect.

They will see an organization that is moving in the same direction and they will not want to be another victim of the career killing GM role where promises will be made and 3 years later they are out on the streets. They will know that Peter Angelos has not changed and that somehow Buck got sucked into the chaos.

Peter Angelos has played to Buck's ego... it will be just be a matter of time before he realizes it too and wants out.

Davey Johnson "recruited" Pat Gillick 15 years ago when little was known about PA and his fumbling and bumbling management style. Both Davey and Gillick would laugh if they would have known than what we know how. It's irrelevant.

Nothing has changed.

Really... after it broke several months ago that Andy MacPhail no longer knew his role within this organization you could feel that Peter Angelos and his cronies were back to their meddling way.

We can argue about how relevant and competent Andy MacPhail is - but he is respected around baseball.

Therefore - despite all this chatter that Buck is going to be the Oriole's savior and Peter Angelos is going to relent control - the way this "transition" is occurring is just another example as how disgustingly incompetent and unprofessional this organization is.

And if Buck is going to given some responsibility to bring in a higher quality GM - don't believe for a second that those he approach won't have in the back of their mind how the organization and Buck treated Andy MacPhail (as well as all the others before him) these past few months.

Buck now has the Peter Angelos stink on him. Buck's "things are going to be different" arguement is going to be much more difficult to prove if people think that he is now just a figurehead in the new Oriole Way (wich is the Peter Angelos Way) of treating their GM/Baseball Ops employees with disrespect.

They will see an organization that is moving in the same direction and they will not want to be another victim of the career killing GM role where promises will be made and 3 years later they are out on the streets. They will know that Peter Angelos has not changed and that somehow Buck got sucked into the chaos.

Peter Angelos has played to Buck's ego... it will be just be a matter of time before he realizes it too and wants out.

Davey Johnson "recruited" Pat Gillick 15 years ago when little was known about PA and his fumbling and bumbling management style. Both Davey and Gillick would laugh if they would have known than what we know how. It's irrelevant.

Nothing has changed.

Perhaps Peter Angelos was sick of seeing his club losing and being run by an incompetent FO, hence bringing in Buck Showalter as a Plan B.

Angelos has given MacPhail more rope than previous GMs and probably the most power since Pat Gillick who he allowed to fire Frank Robinson after Gillick couldn't find a use for him.

MacPhail was allowed to bring in his nephew to run professional scouting which is among the worst in the majors. Angelos allowed MacPhail to keep Trembley for far too long as Orioles manager when it was clear he shouldn't have been.

IMO PGA gave MacPhail one last chance this offseason, and we saw how he used it and the result afterwards and ultimately Showalter and Angelos have decided enough is enough and the plan isn't working. PGA wants to win now. MacPhail hasn't been treated poorly and he's not a victim. He's the man that's been in charge of baseball operations for four more losing seasons and a change needs to be made to end that losing, so it's time to see what Plan B can do.

I think we can guarantee there is no way Buck pulls double duty, it's just impossible this day and age. If he decides to go the GM route, you'll probably see him promote W. Randolph to manager. If he sticks where he is (and where he should stay) you'll probably see him give PA a couple names to interview, but ultimately it's Angelos' decision because whomever is the GM is going to have to understand that Angelos wears the pants at the end of the day.

Perhaps Peter Angelos was sick of seeing his club losing and being run by an incompetent FO, hence bringing in Buck Showalter as a Plan B.

Angelos has given MacPhail more rope than previous GMs and probably the most power since Pat Gillick who he allowed to fire Frank Robinson after Gillick couldn't find a use for him.

MacPhail was allowed to bring in his nephew to run professional scouting which is among the worst in the majors. Angelos allowed MacPhail to keep Trembley for far too long as Orioles manager when it was clear he shouldn't have been.

IMO PGA gave MacPhail one last chance this offseason, and we saw how he used it and the result afterwards and ultimately Showalter and Angelos have decided enough is enough and the plan isn't working. PGA wants to win now. MacPhail hasn't been treated poorly and he's not a victim. He's the man that's been in charge of baseball operations for four more losing seasons and a change needs to be made to end that losing, so it's time to see what Plan B can do.

You aren't listening. I'm not saying that AM is a victim. I am saying that history continues to repeat itself with Angelos. He did the same thing to Flanny (whom he gave just as long if not longer) as he is now doing to AM. He leaves them out there flapping in the wind without respecting the man and his family's history with the organization. He allows rumors to swirl and he is once again making decisions on how to run his franchise that runs against the grain on how most organizations are run.

And if history continues to repeat itself with how he is handling of AMs last few days - people around the industry are NOT going to trust that they are going to change even if Buck is the best man to play a more influential role in the decisions that need to be made on who to hire for the front office. It's not how solid organizations like the Red Sox, Twins, etc are run and it shows that PA is not going to change.

You aren't listening. I'm not saying that AM is a victim. I am saying that history continues to repeat itself with Angelos. He did the same thing to Flanny (whom he gave just as long if not longer) as he is now doing to AM. He leaves them out there flapping in the wind without respecting the man and his family's history with the organization. He allows rumors to swirl and he is once again making decisions on how to run his franchise that runs against the grain on how most organizations are run.

And if history continues to repeat itself with how he is handling of AMs last few days - people around the industry are NOT going to trust that they are going to change even if Buck is the best man to play a more influential role in the decisions that need to be made on who to hire for the front office. It's not how solid organizations like the Red Sox, Twins, etc are run and it shows that PA is not going to change.

You are saying MacPhail is a victim. You are saying he's leaving MacPhail twisting in the wind. MacPhail has likely told Angelos he's done or the other way around. Either way AM knows his fate, but he is choosing not to say anything. The only thing that's being twisted is who is to blame for the uncertainty in the FO. MacPhail is the one choosing to leave fans hanging on whether he's staying or going, not Peter Angelos and that's the way MacPhail does everything.

Everything is secretive and a game to MacPhail. He loves cloak and dagger stuff.

Archived