John Heyman : Hearing John Hart as a possibility for GM

jamesenoch

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This fascination with youth and inexperience baffles me. John Hart has a track record of knowing what he is doing- like it or not- and in the real world that matters. The asst GM of the Texas Rangers, by definition, has no such track record. But you believe him to be better because he is not "old" (in the bizarro parallel universe where Hart's 60 is "old").

Some of you don't have the slightest idea what corporate culture demands. Those of us who have been around a bit, failed, succeeded, and have a few miles under our belts do. People don't reward you, normally, for what you don't know and have not done.

Hart will get the job if he wants it, imho. And that's not to say he's the only man for the job or anything else. But if one value's track record and stability- Peter clearly does- Hart has to be at or near the top of his wish list.

This fascination with youth and inexperience baffles me. John Hart has a track record of knowing what he is doing- like it or not- and in the real world that matters. The asst GM of the Texas Rangers, by definition, has no such track record. But you believe him to be better because he is not "old" (in the bizarro parallel universe where Hart's 60 is "old").

Some of you don't have the slightest idea what corporate culture demands. Those of us who have been around a bit, failed, succeeded, and have a few miles under our belts do. People don't reward you, normally, for what you don't know and have not done.

Hart will get the job if he wants it, imho. And that's not to say he's the only man for the job or anything else. But if one value's track record and stability- Peter clearly does- Hart has to be at or near the top of his wish list.

Its a shame the owners in the AL East don't agree with you. Would love to have more Harts and AM's going AGAINST us vs what we have to deal with with Friedman, Epstein and AA.

Yep...Could definitely see something where Hart is brought in as a president and Klentak is the GM.

Interesting that Klentak has worked with Levine before.

I highly doubt Klentak stays after the housecleaning...

Hart and Levine however could be a possiblity...

I think you are going to see John Hart in some role with the Orioles no matter what.

Yep...Could definitely see something where Hart is brought in as a president and Klentak is the GM.

Interesting that Klentak has worked with Levine before.

If they are going to promote Klentak I don't think they will bring anyone else in with him. I think the only chance you see Hart come in as prez, is in a package deal with some other TEX people. Maybe I'm just focused on that cause that's what I'd do though ;)

If they are going to promote Klentak I don't think they will bring anyone else in with him. I think the only chance you see Hart come in as prez, is in a package deal with some other TEX people. Maybe I'm just focused on that cause that's what I'd do though ;)
Do you want them to bring Hart in or do you mean this is what you want because you feel its inevitable that he is brought in?

Its a shame the owners in the AL East don't agree with you. Would love to have more Harts and AM's going AGAINST us vs what we have to deal with with Friedman, Epstein and AA.

Sorry...that's real world. Exceptions don't disprove the rule. In the case of the Orioles, a Theo, for instance, would never have worked. Sox, as you may know, have a very hands-on, very intrusive ownership group. Theo works along side them much more than works "for them." If Peter did that (and to a degree, he has tried), many here would deride that as "meddling." For an owner that basically wants to live his life and let his investment appreciate (and that's most of them), a John Hart-type guy is what they are looking for.

Sorry...that's real world. Exceptions don't disprove the rule. In the case of the Orioles, a Theo, for instance, would never have worked. Sox, as you may know, have a very hands-on, very intrusive ownership group. Theo works along side them much more than works "for them." If Peter did that (and to a degree, he has tried), many here would deride that as "meddling." For an owner that basically wants to live his life and let his investment appreciate (and that's most of them), a John Hart-type guy is what they are looking for.
Oh I am sure it is what they are looking for...its just foolish to look for it.

The young GMs are running circles around the "old guys".

Oh I am sure it is what they are looking for...its just foolish to look for it.

The young GMs are running circles around the "old guys".

Every situation is different. And the fact that some GMs are successful when young has little if nothing to do with their age- it speaks to their quality. And well done to the teams that recognize such talent without (much) track record. Most of the business world does not work that way, though...and there is no way in heck Peter would make a move like that again (Frank Wren was an anomoly, I believe).

Every situation is different. And the fact that some GMs are successful when young has little if nothing to do with their age- it speaks to their quality. And well done to the teams that recognize such talent without (much) track record. Most of the business world does not work that way, though...and there is no way in heck Peter would make a move like that again (Frank Wren was an anomoly, I believe).
And its yet another reason why this organization has very little chance at succeeding until that joke of an owner is out of here.

Do you want them to bring Hart in or do you mean this is what you want because you feel its inevitable that he is brought in?

I wouldn't mind if he was brought in as Pres. WITH Levine because they both have the same philosophies and work together already. If you bring him in with someone else you run the risk of having 2 guys not agreeing on things and coming to a headache.

It's like you can't guarantee a certain GM and a certain Manager are going to work together well, it's even more important for a Pres/GM or GM/Asst. GM. Call it a chemistry concern I guess, I'd trust the proven combo.

Archived