John Heyman : Hearing John Hart as a possibility for GM

jamesenoch

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This news doesn't thrill me but I don't think Hart is that bad of a pick, to be honest. He built two strong organizations and did pretty well in the draft. He handed off his positions to Mark Shapiro and Jon Daniels, who both became very good GMs, and Shapiro has now handed off to Chris Antonetti, who we all coveted two or three years ago. I believe Pirates GM Neal Huntington also went through Cleveland. Hart's biggest issue in Texas was spending too much on individual players, and knowing Angelos, he won't have that problem here.

I've always said Hart is the favorite.

Unlike MacPhail, Hart actually has real ties to the organization being part of it as a minor league manager and coach. And I'll bring this quote up again:

“It’s a matter of building a superior development program. I think Tampa Bay holds the secret over there as to what certain markets need to do. The Orioles are not nearly as economically challenged as Tampa. … The key for me is building the steady flow of talent. They need to draft well. They need to be a big player internationally. They have to have top-shelf scouts, a frontline development program … They have got to out-scout and out-coach and out-teach and not be afraid to jump in and take the best player available and compete with other teams when the dollars aren’t that big. … At some point, to sustain success, you have to retain your star players once you get them and … when the right free agent presents itself, if it all works out, you have to do it.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/john_hart_talks_orioles_showal_1.html

You would also think Angelos would respect and listen to a guy like Hart whereas a younger guy may not get that same respect, or autonomy to bring to life their vision for the organization.

IMO Hart will actually be aggressive in whatever he does. And from that quote, he realizes the Orioles have to be among the best at whatever course they choose to take.

Hart could be another Gillick.

I've always said Hart is the favorite.

Unlike MacPhail, Hart actually has real ties to the organization being part of it as a minor league manager and coach. And I'll bring this quote up again:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/john_hart_talks_orioles_showal_1.html

You would also think Angelos would respect and listen to a guy like Hart whereas a younger guy may not get that same respect, or autonomy to bring to life their vision for the organization.

IMO Hart will actually be aggressive in whatever he does. And from that quote, he realizes the Orioles have to be among the best at whatever course they choose to take.

I agree with you on this one, which is why I think for things to work well Hart needs to come in as Prez and Levine as GM. Hart's days of doing this stuff himself are behind him, but I like a lot of his philosophies.

I don't think PA gives a patootie about O's traditions, or organizational history though. I think he cares about the bottom line and that is ALL.

I agree with you on this one, which is why I think for things to work well Hart needs to come in as Prez and Levine as GM. Hart's days of doing this stuff himself are behind him, but I like a lot of his philosophies.

I don't think PA gives a patootie about O's traditions, or organizational history though. I think he cares about the bottom line and that is ALL.

Right...What he will do is pitch that concept to the fans and the casual fan will eat it up. He will talk about how he did well with the Indians in the past, etc....

Basically, the same stuff we heard about AM, just different wording.

Hart as the GM would be pretty bad.

But if Hart brings Levine, they give him a nice raise and a better title and he brings more Rangers execs, then it is a good thing.

Hart by himself does nothing for us.

Why would Hart as the GM be pretty bad? He can't be any worse than MacPhail...

Favorable write up on Hart:

Hart is currently an adviser for the Texas Rangers and a studio analyst for the MLB Network. He enjoyed tremendous success as the Indians GM in the '90s and was also GM of a mediocre Rangers club in the early '00s. Jon Daniels succeeded Hart as Rangers GM before the 2006 season and the franchise is one of the healthiest in baseball. Hart has demonstrated a progressive approach to running an organization, and no, that isn't code for "obsessed with statistics". His background is on-field development -- he managed in the minor leagues throughout the '80s and eventually managed the Indians for one season in 1989. Yet despite an on-the-surface old school mentality, he has been a leader in front office innovation. Nontraditional hires are his trademark. Baseball newbies Mark Shapiro (Princeton University), Chris Antonetti (Georgetown University), Josh Byrnes (Haverford College) and Paul DePodesta (Harvard University) were among his lieutenants in Cleveland. They signed young stars like Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez to team-friendly deals before the practice was fashionable. All available scouting and statistical tools are utilized under Hart regimes, which is all one can ask for as a fan.

This plan entails Hart as an adviser to the GM, a Sandy Alderson/Billy Beane type arrangement. However, Hart as GM is also appealing. Alderson is another of my preferred options for some kind of front office role. Considering he essentially just started his job as MLB envoy to the Dominican Republic it seems unlikely he would jump at a front office position. Hart appears more available

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2010/10/3/1723162/the-hart-hahn-hale-plan?ref=CBS&source=rss_teams_New_York_Mets

He is not at all the same as MacPhail. They may be around the same age, but their philosophy is totally different.

MacPhail is reactive while Hart is proactive.

Perhaps. This isn't the way to go. We need a GM to compete with the young guys in the game.

My hope is, if Hart is brought in, that the plan AS laid out is what happens.

As the link I put up showed, he has groomed other young guys. One of them was Depodesta, so maybe he is brought in with Hart. That would be good too.

Archived