TT: The Orioles must have an impact offseason

Tony-OH

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice analysis and I generally agree with it. I don't think we're winning many more games with the pitching staff you offered as a possibility but then acquiring pitching through trades is a difficult thing to propose as you point out.

I think the pitching is the priority. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to upgrade the offense where we can, but given our limited resources, the bigger portion of it should be to acquire a couple solid SP's. How to do that is where some creativity comes into play.

Per sources to sports radio in Chicago, Buehrle is done with the White Sox. They don't have the money to re-sign him and Chris Sale is going into the rotation next year.

Buehrle is certainly an option. Though, I think he's more of a #3 starter at this stage of his career. His numbers this year were a little inflated by the White Sox going to a 6 man rotation and getting his arm more rest.

Nice analysis and I generally agree with it. I don't think we're winning many more games with the pitching staff you offered as a possibility but then acquiring pitching through trades is a difficult thing to propose as you point out.

I think the pitching is the priority. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to upgrade the offense where we can, but given our limited resources, the bigger portion of it should be to acquire a couple solid SP's. How to do that is where some creativity comes into play.

Good article (one typo in that Wilson pitched in a hitters park not a pitchers park). I appreciate how specific it is.

It does lead us to the frequent discussion as to whether top free agents come to terrible teams even when the money is there. I'm on the side of "highly unlikely" so I don't think CJ Wilson is coming here no matter who we have sitting in the GM chair. I expect Boston, NYY and Tex to be among his suitors.

The Yankees could set Swisher free but they'd want to have a better option and I expect they'll view Swisher for a year as much better than Willingham for 4, as I would.

Your overall point is well taken. We can't go into 2012 with the same roster. Whoever is the GM is going to have to figure out how to lure talent here via free agency or make some creative trades.

Good article (one typo in that Wilson pitched in a hitters park not a pitchers park). I appreciate how specific it is.

It does lead us to the frequent discussion as to whether top free agents come to terrible teams even when the money is there. I'm on the side of "highly unlikely" so I don't think CJ Wilson is coming here no matter who we have sitting in the GM chair. I expect Boston, NYY and Tex to be among his suitors.

The Yankees could set Swisher free but they'd want to have a better option and I expect they'll view Swisher for a year as much better than Willingham for 4, as I would.

Your overall point is well taken. We can't go into 2012 with the same roster. Whoever is the GM is going to have to figure out how to lure talent here via free agency or make some creative trades.

Yep, it's one of the reason why I would prefer MacPhail leave. We need someone who will come in a say to the free agents, "There's a new sheriff in town and we're changing things around here and you are a big part of what we are trying to do!"

Yep, it's one of the reason why I would prefer MacPhail leave. We need someone who will come in a say to the free agents, "There's a new sheriff in town and we're changing things around here and you are a big part of what we are trying to do!"
I agree.

I think we need to get rid of him because we need someone to come in with new ideas.

I don't think its happening though...He is staying IMO.

Per sources to sports radio in Chicago, Buehrle is done with the White Sox. They don't have the money to re-sign him and Chris Sale is going into the rotation next year.

Buehrle is certainly an option. Though, I think he's more of a #3 starter at this stage of his career. His numbers this year were a little inflated by the White Sox going to a 6 man rotation and getting his arm more rest.

Beuhrle is a better option that assuming that two of the young guys can perform at a high level at this point. I would go after him and slot him into the middle of the rotation with Guthrie and Britton. I still Matusz is a middle of the rotation arm and could get back on track. He would be the #5 pitcher and Hunter would be the #4. I still think that the Orioles need a TOR starter to compete in the AL East and CJ Wilson would be a guy that I would try to bring in. I would also try to land Fielder or deal for Tex if we went this route. We need a better MOO bat and while Tex could be a better #3 or #5 hitter, he would be the best #4 we have had in a long time. Anyway you cut it, this team needs to be at $105M to compete at this point and I just do not see them spending that much

No thanks on Nick (1-for-31 in the postseason with RISP) Swisher. Reggie Jackson had to be restrained from going into the Yankee dugout last night and beating the hell out of him.

If Swisher can't hit in the postseason, then doesn't make the Orioles the perfect fit for him? He'd be in no danger of getting to the postseason anytime soon.

But seriously, that's a ridiculously small sample size spread over many years. It means basically nothing.

If Swisher can't hit in the postseason, then doesn't make the Orioles the perfect fit for him? He'd be in no danger of getting to the postseason anytime soon.

But seriously, that's a ridiculously small sample size spread over many years. It means basically nothing.

Swisher is an average fielder at best, and he's a jerk overall. And 1-for-31 with RISP in the postseason is hardly a small sample size, particularly when you combine that with the fact that his career postseason batting average is .169 in 147 plate appearances over 9 postseasons with 3 teams.

I would agree the FA market has been AM's biggest folly. But I wouldn't criticize him for failing to back up the Brink's truck for Lackey, Clemens, Bonds, Cliff Lee, Crawford, Holliday, Teix, CC, AJ, Beltre, etc. The recieved wisdom here seems to be it's a mistake to overspend on top tier FA's when one player no matter how great, won't make a difference because we are so many plyers shy of contendiing. I think AM's mistake has been picking the wrong short term mid level stop gap FA types. Atkins, Eaton, Gonzo, Vlad, Gregg etc. CJ Wilson and Buehrle would be great, but both the Sux and MFY's will be after them. Wilson will be offered at least AJ money from both . To have a shot at getting him the O's will have to offer 5/100 maybe more if the MFY's up their offer. Will you really hold it against AM if he doesn't do that. Buehrle wants to stay in Chicago, go to STL, or retire. I'm sure he would retire before coming to B'more.

Swisher is an average fielder at best, and he's a jerk overall. And 1-for-31 with RISP in the postseason is hardly a small sample size, particularly when you combine that with the fact that his career postseason batting average is .169. In 147 plate appearances over 9 postseasons with 3 teams.
I won't argue that Swisher is a jerk. But criticizing someone because he doesn't hit well in the postseason is silly when you're talking about a team that hasn't been to the postseason-- or even had a winning season-- in 14 years. That's like saying, "I don't want to sign this free agent. He hasn't gotten a single hit in December in his whole career!"

Just reaching the playoffs would be a miracle for the Orioles, and if Swisher can help them get there, he'd be worth his weight in gold.

I agree.

I think we need to get rid of him because we need someone to come in with new ideas.

I don't think its happening though...He is staying IMO.

I would love to hear your new ideas about how you get a Fielder to sign here for the same amount of money he is being offered by Texas, or Washington. You think it makes a difference that Billy Beane is wining and dining him or AM, if the money is the same? And what big name FA have you been advocating they go after this season? Don't say Darvish because he isn't truly a FA, and we all know PA is not going to alwow them to post for him.

Archived