Stockstill Signed for 2012 Per Roch

Rene88

Thus why this is a huge problem. Nothing is changing when in fact, everything MUST change.

Things are changing. Massive change - new GM, new Scouting Director and likely several other new individuals in important positions. Most everything many folks here have been clamoring for for most of this season.

Relax. Some would say, as Tony explained so well, it is prudent to retain at least some knowledgeable carryover folks before they get poached as well.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things are changing. Massive change - new GM, new Scouting Director and likely several other new individuals in important positions. Most everything many folks here have been clamoring for for most of this season.

Relax. Some would say, as Tony explained so well, it is prudent to retain at least some knowledgeable carryover folks before they get poached as well.

Well, when he have knowledgable people to carry over who are doing a great job, then I will agree with this.

And if the new GM is coming in under the same constraints as the old GM, then nothing is really changed but the name on the door.

I don't see the big deal...he was re-signed for one year, but not necessarily to the same job. The GM will choose his new position most likely. He has a lot of knowledge of the players in the minors and can help the GM transition in whatever capacity he serves.

At this point, why even hire someone outside of the organization? It's pretty apparent that Buck is going to have a large influence on the direction of the Orioles. I don't think a new voice is going to come in and have the ability to lay out his road map.

Why not promote a Klentak and have him carry out their plan?

I have been an advocate of this as well. These people are already here and must have some kind of comfort level with Angelos -- which unfortunately is the most important factor these days; whether Angelos trusts someone enough to not block them from doing their job.

So it would get my blessing if it came to that. Especially over some of the GM candidates that have been mentioned.

I actually agree with this.

I mean, I would love for them to hire some of the names being discussed but if you aren't going to let them do what they do best, just stick with what you have and go from there.

Several reasons. First, I think it would just be good to have someone who comes from an organization that has had recent success and who knows what some of the cutting edge thinking is. I'm not talking about stuff you and I read on the internet, but actual, inside professional know-how. Second, there is an art to negotiating trades and negotiating with free agents, and some are better at it than others. Just because Buck knows he wants Player X doesn't mean he knows how to get Player X here under the best terms possible. Third, I'm sure there are many critical things Buck will want to be involved in, but there's probably a lot where he really doesn't have a view or simply doesn't know.

Archived