Epstein's presser...how it relates to the Orioles

Sports Guy

He stated that implementing the new "Cubs Way" will be a lot of work, he consistently referred to "when we attain sustained success" and the actions he stated as leading to that suscess included fringe prospects being willing to put in the work to become a future ML contributor, international scouts taking the time to really get to know a 17-year prospect and helping his transition to ball in the States, an area scout driving an extra six miles to get a last look at an amateur prospect before the draft, ML coachign staff being more prepared than the coaching staff across the field, etc. It sounds to me like a systemic change, and while that doesn't mean tearing everything down it certainly means addressing and making changes at every level.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about when it comes to the things that are not visible to the average fan.

And Crawjo, I also noticed Epstein's reference to OBP in the initial post by SG, and thought, the O's still don't get this, 8 years after Moneyball was published.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about when it comes to the things that are not visible to the average fan.

And Crawjo, I also noticed Epstein's reference to OBP in the initial post by SG, and thought, the O's still don't get this, 8 years after Moneyball was published.

Neither did Jim Hendry. That is why the overhaul of the Cubs is going to take time. Most of their minor league affiliates ranked at the bottom of their leagues in OBP because Hendry didn't make it an organizational philosophy. While they'll still get a few productive players from their system, it will take several drafts for the Cubs to turn around their system to Theo's liking.

What do you have in mind for the Cubs this offseason? If you're thinking Fielder/Pujols, then you need to read my previous post about the state bond issue.

If you read my previous post(s) you'd know the answer to that question and also know it doesn't mean Fielder/Pujols.

Yep..Its another reason this can't be brushed off at "things new GMs always say".

He came in and directly attacked the philosophies of the way the team has been run.

He said the at bats aren't good and that the defense is poor. That is the type of brutal honesty that the Orioles need and its something that I am not sure the egos of Buck and PA are willing to hear.

Yep..Its another reason this can't be brushed off at "things new GMs always say".

He came in and directly attacked the philosophies of the way the team has been run.

He said the at bats aren't good and that the defense is poor. That is the type of brutal honesty that the Orioles need and its something that I am not sure the egos of Buck and PA are willing to hear.

Do you care if the new GM says those things publicly, so long as the correct actions are taken? I don't care very much, though I have to say that hearing it would give me some assurance that the new GM "gets it."

Do you care if the new GM says those things publicly, so long as the correct actions are taken? I don't care very much, though I have to say that hearing it would give me some assurance that the new GM "gets it."
Obviously results are what matters...But, for as awful as this organization is and how awful PA is, I would like to see them hire a guy who can say to PA, you have no idea what you are doing and you need to let us baseball people do what we know needs to happen.

I think that is extremely important and really the only way this organization can be any good with him as the owner.

Of course, I see no chance that happens because PA will not want to hear that type of brutal honesty.

Obviously results are what matters...But, for as awful as this organization is and how awful PA is, I would like to see them hire a guy who can say to PA, you have no idea what you are doing and you need to let us baseball people do what we know needs to happen.

I think that is extremely important and really the only way this organization can be any good with him as the owner.

Of course, I see no chance that happens because PA will not want to hear that type of brutal honesty.

The GM will have to be more diplomatic than that, while still getting the point across that major changes are required.

One reason why Theo can say these things is that the Cubs' current owners aren't responsible for this mess. What he said won't offend them.

With all this Epstein talk of building an organization, what happens to all the Cubs for Pujols, Cubs for Fielder certainty? Would they still be players, or will they be looking to build long term? Are they mutually exclusive?

Pujols no way imo. If they could move Soriano/Zambrano, I could see them going after Fielder (then not needing to re-sign Pena). Theo likes FA's near Fielder's age and with his skills. The fat/body factor of course comes into play.

With all this Epstein talk of building an organization, what happens to all the Cubs for Pujols, Cubs for Fielder certainty? Would they still be players, or will they be looking to build long term? Are they mutually exclusive?

Those in the Cubs organization have never considered themselves to be players for Fielder/Pujols. It has always just been media speculation.

The Cubs need a significant overhaul of Wrigley and the surrounding Wrigleyville. They are going to model it after what the Red Sox did with Fenway in the past decade. They need roughly $300 million in state bonds to get the funding. The Cubs don't have the money for that, much less for Fielder/Pujols.

Plus, if they did make a push for Fielder/Pujols, it would torpedo their push for that public money. Politicians and taxpayers in Illinois won't give the Cubs the money if they're spending hundreds of millions at the same time on free agents.

Ricketts and Epstein know what's more important in this situation:

$300 million in free money >>>>> Pujols/Fielder

That money will lead to the renovations in and around Wrigley, which will significantly increase revenue generation for the club, allowing them to operate at similar levels as the Red Sox and sustain a comparable payroll. That is part of the bottom-up building that Theo was talking about yesterday.

Those in the Cubs organization have never considered themselves to be players for Fielder/Pujols. It has always just been media speculation.

The Cubs need a significant overhaul of Wrigley and the surrounding Wrigleyville. They are going to model it after what the Red Sox did with Fenway in the past decade. They need roughly $300 million in state bonds to get the funding. The Cubs don't have the money for that, much less for Fielder/Pujols.

Plus, if they did make a push for Fielder/Pujols, it would torpedo their push for that public money. Politicians and taxpayers in Illinois won't give the Cubs the money if they're spending hundreds of millions at the same time on free agents.

Ricketts and Epstein know what's more important in this situation:

$300 million in free money >>>>> Pujols/Fielder

That money will lead to the renovations in and around Wrigley, which will significantly increase revenue generation for the club, allowing them to operate at similar levels as the Red Sox and sustain a comparable payroll. That is part of the bottom-up building that Theo was talking about yesterday.

This has always been my take as well, but a lot of folks here seem to take what the media says as gospel.

After my coup, when I take over the country, I'm passing a constitutional amendment banning all government subsidies to professional sports teams. Although I guess if I'm already running the country by fiat, an amendment isn't really necessary...

This has always been my take as well, but a lot of folks here seem to take what the media says as gospel.

To be honest, my take is actually a media take as well--it just isn't widely reported. I listen to a Chicago sports radio show daily and the hosts have contacts with organizations all over the city. They have consistently said that priority #1 for the Cubs is the public funding and that the organization can't (not won't) make a run at Fielder/Pujols given their debt situation and the impact signing a $100 million+ contract would have on priority #1.

In fact, something that isn't being reported is the impact that Theo's hire will have on the Cubs receiving that public funding. Hiring a charming, good-looking, highly accomplished guy like Theo will make it a MUCH easier sell for politicians.

After my coup, when I take over the country, I'm passing a constitutional amendment banning all government subsidies to professional sports teams. Although I guess if I'm already running the country by fiat, an amendment isn't really necessary...

It really isn't that outrageous to give the Cubs money. Wrigley Field is one of the Top 5 tourist attractions in the state of Illinois and it is in dire need of renovations.

The reason their first proposal failed was because of how it was framed. The Cubs simply asked for the money. Now they're building an argument centered around economics and how the money will be repaid rather quickly through the generation of more taxable revenue.

Archived