Geoff Baker echos my thoughts on FA and the standard cliches (excuses) for a non-contending team

JTrea81

Of course you do, and you give up every real piece you have to surround Fielder with by the time you could be ready to compete. You can't replace those 4-5 pieces you are going to trade for Votto (who won't extend), with FA, it's too costly, and once again you are ignoring that you need to find positive WAR from low salaried players in order to realistically contend.

This point will be selectively ignored, as it always is.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm bashing people who have a defeatist attitude and don't demand better.

These apathetic people and pity-parties are really starting to tick me off...

What can we possibly demand? Peter Angelos controls the budget and that's all there is to it. We can't change his mind. This isn't a democracy.

Its amazing to me that you don't see how dumb it is to go after Votto.

But remember, this is the same guy who wanted to go hard after Fielder when he had 1 1/2, then one, then two months left on his contract. Trading multiple good, young players for a season or a season and a half of Fielder. 'cause you know, when you've seen Baltimore from the inside you definitely want to sign a below-market extension.

Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

Trea.

I have an honest question for you. If Duquette had autonomy to do his plan and he could build (in 1.5 years, so we would be surging in 2013) a team that was sort of like the Jays and the Rays. We'd be a bit better since we have more money than they do and wouldn't ALWAYS have to trade guys. But what if we built a team like that and then boom we had long term success and long term contention. Would that make you happy?

Or do you only want to go all in and try it that way, realism be damned. Personally, I don't make excuses for why we can't get these FAs. I think that if the Orioles wrote the checks they could sign Reyes, Fielder, Wilson, Darvish, and call it a day. I just think it would be extremely stupid and might get us a small spike but we'd still be the fast sinking ship that we are.

That's my question, if the first method made us successful would you be happy with it?

I'm bashing people who have a defeatist attitude and don't demand better.

These apathetic people and pity-parties are really starting to tick me off...

And the rest of us will continue to call you out for your naive, absurdist viewpoint that it's the Orioles responsibility to shortcut reality and win right now by any means necessary.

Archived