Per Roch: Bench depth being addressed...

BilboBaggins

It just seems a little backwards to be signing bench guys and spare parts when there are still so many holes in the starting lineup and rotation. The O's should be prioritizing the starting players first-- you can always add backups later in the offseason.

I'm guessing Duke agrees with you, and he's talking to other GM's about the parts that we really need. I think the message from Roch might be a little off target. I think/hope that Duke is suggesting that we might obtain the bench players first, because they're easier to acquire / more willing to sign quickly. The stuff we really need is a little more difficult to obtain quickly.

At least that's what I hope.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Signing bench guys now could free up a Reynolds or Reimold to be traded for a SP, like Floyd or Danks.

That's a reasonable thought I guess. I guess that assumes a "bench guy" becomes a starter/platoon player of some sort or that an existing bench guy becomes a starter. It would make more sense to me if a bench guy was qualified as minor league depth. That would give us some more flexibility.

Due to the labor deal that's about to break, teams don't know the 'compensation' status for some of the potential starters. The labor deal will affect teams' decisions on whether to offer arbitration to certain players. The compensation system will also affect the value of certain players who hit the market. And the value of those players who are directly affected by the changes in the compensation system will subtly influence the value of the other players on the market.

Has anyone seen anything on the type of bench that Buck wants ? I think he wants a veteran bench. Ray Adams seemed to have sat on the bench for 2 weeks, Fox didn't play much, Tatum was so good that he had 87 AB's in 31 games, Reimold sat while Pie played. The bench has to be Buck's bench. So I will help Buck out some and pick his bench.

Ryan Doumit.....Bats S..D/H-C-1B-LF-RF (super sub)

Robert Andino...Bats R..2B-SS-3B-OF

Bill Hall............Bats R..3B-SS-2B-CF

Corey Patterson..Bats L..OF (speed off the bench)

Wilken Castillo...Bats S..C-3B-OF-2b-SS (he is the 25th man on the roster and should get more than 87 AB's)

Note: Doumit is signed to be the D/H and backup C. Castillo (limited Ab's) batted .313 for the Reds in 08/09.

This flexibility would allow Buck to mix and match better depending on the pitching matchup and or to give a player some rest. Also Sundays does not have be be a B squad game (all reserves in). Castillo/Patterson and or Hall could be signed as minor league F/A agents and invited to S/T or added to the 40 man roster after the rule 5 draft.

Who is Ray Adams?

Due to the labor deal that's about to break, teams don't know the 'compensation' status for some of the potential starters. The labor deal will affect teams' decisions on whether to offer arbitration to certain players. The compensation system will also affect the value of certain players who hit the market. And the value of those players who are directly affected by the changes in the compensation system will subtly influence the value of the other players on the market.

Great point.

Roch says the O's have not reached out to Doumit. I am not sure that is true. I think his price is a little too high. People say you don't need to move fast on backup catcher but look at the list and who is left. A couple of guys are signing today.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/11/still-trying-to-reel-in-a-catcher.html

Roch says the O's have not reached out to Doumit. I am not sure that is true. I think his price is a little too high. People say you don't need to move fast on backup catcher but look at the list and who is left. A couple of guys are signing today.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/11/still-trying-to-reel-in-a-catcher.html

Here's the list:

Josh Bard (34)

Ramon Castro (36)

Ryan Doumit (31) - Type B

Jake Fox (29)

Ramon Hernandez (36) - Type A

Rob Johnson (28)

Jason Kendall (38)

Gerald Laird (32)

Jose Molina (36) - Type B

Dioner Navarro (28)

Ivan Rodriguez (40)

Brian Schneider (35)

Kelly Shoppach (32)

Chris Snyder (31) - Type B

J.R. Towles (28)

Jason Varitek (40) - Type B

Roch likes Molina.

What about Shoppach or Bard for just one year?

We should have 2 players capable of playing SS and/or second because of BRob and Hardy's injury history.

I'm assuming that the front office is discounting BRob to near nil and they're looking for a starting 2B. If BRob's healthy enough to start the year then they'll just have to find AB's for this player X. I expect that he'd end up starting the majority of games at 2nd next year, however.

Here's the list:

Josh Bard (34)

Ramon Castro (36)

Ryan Doumit (31) - Type B

Jake Fox (29)

Ramon Hernandez (36) - Type A

Rob Johnson (28)

Jason Kendall (38)

Gerald Laird (32)

Jose Molina (36) - Type B

Dioner Navarro (28)

Ivan Rodriguez (40)

Brian Schneider (35)

Kelly Shoppach (32)

Chris Snyder (31) - Type B

J.R. Towles (28)

Jason Varitek (40) - Type B

Roch likes Molina.

What about Shoppach or Bard for just one year?

You can put me in this camp as well. Definitely a Buck kinda guy. Solid at everything but running and abdominal exercises. You're not going to get a better "backup" catcher.

Archived