Duquette not a big Markakis fan?

Going Underground

Wow! I just love this. Markakis cannot be a sacred cow. Look at how he compares to RF in the division last year:

Kakes: .284/.351/.406/.756

Swisher: .260/.374/.449/.822

Reddick: .280/.327/.457/.784

Joyce: .277/.347/.478/.825

Bautista: .302/.447/.608/1.056

It is not hard to make a case that Nick was EASILY the worst RF in the division last year. And it isn't particularly close. RF is an offensive position.

Nick had a down year, yes. But he was probably a better player than Reddick. And you don't have to beat your opponents position-by-position, it's the sum of all the parts.

But the amount of money he's being paid - who wanted to sign him to such a contract? MacPhail or Angelos?

All of us. It's the process, not the results. I take a good process any day, over dithering and refusing to take on any risk of failure. You almost always lock up your good, young talent when you can buy out arb and free agency years and have a reasonable chance at a discount. It's how resource-limited teams like the O's can afford talent. If you wait later to lock them up there's a good chance they cost more, or decide to walk.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....maybe we can get a MOO to help better protect him and Jones, then perhaps his numbers will go up.

Be cheaper to get a Voo Doo doctor ..... and have the same effect. It just doesn't work that way. Like Tony said, if the protection argument had any merit, he'd have a lot of walks/IBB's and a great OBP. That "problem" would seem a lot less severe.

We know he's a big hunter and likes to disappear for most of the offseason. But does he do any offseason workouts? Is he just sitting in a treestand all winter?

He should definitely beef up some.

He does offseason workouts, the question is how much.

From February 2010:

Markakis, who was a frequent visitor to offseason workouts at Camden Yards, said he traditionally has not felt comfortable with his swing early in spring training.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-02-21/sports/bal-sp.osnotes21feb21_1_bullpen-spots-nick-markakis-spring-training

From last February:
Over the last month, as some of the organization's minor league players took part in drills under the stands at Camden Yards, B.J. Surhoff and Mike Bordick have been among those lending a hand.

Players like Tyler Townsend, L.J. Hoes and Tyler Henson have taken part in the three-day-a-week voluntary workouts.

The group was led by O's strength and conditioning coach Joe Hogarty and Gary Kendall, who will manage at Double-A Bowie this year. Orioles trainers Richie Bancells and Brian Ebel were at the workouts, along with Short Season Single-A Aberdeen pitching coach Scott McGregor. O's scout Dean Albany was there for some of the work along with some minor league trainers.

O's outfielder Nick Markakis was also on hand for a few of the workouts, along with pitchers Brandon Erbe, Chorye Spoone, Jesse Beal, Kenny Moreland and Steve Johnson.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/02/bordick-and-surhoff-lend-a-hand-to-os-minor-leaguers.html

So, what is "a few?" And what else did he do besides these voluntary workouts? How intense are these workouts, and how do they compare to what might be done at API or under Brady Andersen's regimen? We can only speculate.

He does offseason workouts, the question is how much.

From February 2010:

From last February:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/02/bordick-and-surhoff-lend-a-hand-to-os-minor-leaguers.html

So, what is "a few?" And what else did he do besides these voluntary workouts? How intense are these workouts, and how do they compare to what might be done at API or under Brady Andersen's regimen? We can only speculate.

I can't speak for nick, but if I lived within 30 minutes (I do) of Camden Yards, I would certainly use their workout room and equipment during the offseason. Just sayin.

I can't speak for nick, but if I lived within 30 minutes (I do) of Camden Yards, I would certainly use their workout room and equipment during the offseason. Just sayin.

Well, we don't know what else he does. Maybe he has a great home gym. Maybe he works out with a personal trainer somewhere. I am not saying he does these things, or he doesn't. I don't think we really know much.

I promise, if I go to Fanfest this year and Nick is on a panel, I will try to ask him what his offseason workout routine is.

It's how resource-limited teams like the O's can afford talent. If you wait later to lock them up there's a good chance they cost more, or decide to walk.

Resource limited teams also need to learn to let their guys walk. We did just fine letting BJ Ryan walk, should have let Mora walk and would likely be better off if BRob walked. Nick is still up in the air, but if the Rays can let their guys walk and still have success, so can we.

The Os do not need to act like a small market team, but the BoSox re-cycle players as well.

Resource limited teams also need to learn to let their guys walk. We did just fine letting BJ Ryan walk, should have let Mora walk and would likely be better off if BRob walked. Nick is still up in the air, but if the Rays can let their guys walk and still have success, so can we.

The Os do not need to act like a small market team, but the BoSox re-cycle players as well.

There's a huge difference between buying out the arb and some free agency years from a good, young player and extending guys through their mid-30s. They did fine letting Ryan walk, especially given the price. They certainly signed Mora to an ill-advised deal, and the Roberts contract was defensible but somewhat risky.

I think obtaining a measure of cost certainty and discount by signing deals like Markakis' are less risky than the other deals you reference.

If you have somebody ready to replace them. The Rays do, the Orioles do not.

Right, but they get compensated with draft picks for all the guys they let walk. That's a good part of the reason why they have players ready to replace the ones they let go.

Big fan of Nick but I'm alright with these comments. The lack of power is an issue. A few years back we all thought we were getting a guy with 23+ homer power year in, year out. Some people here thought he'd be in the low 30's at his peak.

Not sure if it's been brought up here, but he apparently was playing through a tough injury at the end of last season but didn't say a word. Buck let that one slide out after the final Sox game, IIRC.

I guess your "if" is something we disagree with.

It may be a chicken and egg thing to some, but I'll take the draft picks 80% of the time - even without a replacement. When the Os and Rangers exchanged Palmeiro and Clark, I believe we both netted picks at the end of the day. You have to be willing to re-cycle players and let some walk without sufficient replacements as long as there are long term benefits to the organization as a whole (i.e. through more draft picks and a stronger farm system).

Archived