Morosi: O's and Angels Have Discussed Guthrie Trade

Os84

So...a staff has one pitcher who can touch 200 innings which results in an overused and battered bullpen. Let's add this information that the plan for "pitching, pitching, pitching" is to not spend and take a ton of risks on international and 'come back' type players. What we have is a room full of crappy pitchers without an anchor to give the bullpen a rest.

Unless we're replacing Guthrie with Buerle, let's not do a trade. Not sure I understand the reasoning here...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You hearing something there big guy??

The adorably optimistic (i.e., naive) part of me wants to say "oh boy, I hope so." But the pessimistic (i.e., the one that's followed the Orioles for years) part realizes that the only way Guthrie nets someone like Morales is if Morales' health is a legitimately unanswered, open question (i.e., he might play in 2012, and he might not...that's the gamble).

I remember reading reports months and months ago that assessing the impact of Morales' injury wasn't so simple as adding up the time he was likely to miss; rather, there was a chance he'd never play again. Is that not the case now?

At any rate, I'm extremely leery.

The adorably optimistic (i.e., naive) part of me wants to say "oh boy, I hope so." But the pessimistic (i.e., the one that's followed the Orioles for years) part realizes that the only way Guthrie nets someone like Morales is if Morales' health is a legitimately unanswered, open question (i.e., he might play in 2012, and he might not...that's the gamble).

I remember reading reports months and months ago that assessing the impact of Morales' injury wasn't so simple as adding up the time he was likely to miss; rather, there was a chance he'd never play again. Is that not the case now?

At any rate, I'm extremely leery.

Well I think this franchise as a whole has done a pretty good job of finding players with potential, in the last several years. I would think DD would do his due diligence on any potential injuries and use that information to his advantage. For instance, maybe he is an injury risk but because of that he is able to get another player with a nice upside. But I believe Matthew W has hit on a couple of free agent signings/trades over the last season so I was hoping he had some more inside information to pass along. Just fishing really :)

How does not playing baseball for 2 years affect your playing? How do we know he has kept up with conditioning...that he can maintain bat speed...that he remembers there are three outs in an inning?? But seriously...count me as a nonsupporter of attaining Morales.

I dont know who said that Callaspo was a superb defender, because his fielding % was .959 at 3B...15 errors in 129 games.

OTOH

Reynolds fielding % at 3B was .897 and at 1B it was .987

OTOOH fielding % is a very limited stat and shouldn't be used as a sole determiner of a player's defensive ability particularly in small sample sizes.

How does not playing baseball for 2 years affect your playing? How do we know he has kept up with conditioning...that he can maintain bat speed...that he remembers there are three outs in an inning?? But seriously...count me as a nonsupporter of attaining Morales.
Supposedly, he "looks fat." Reportedly, he is walking well and will begin full workouts in January. He likely will miss the start of the season.

Supposedly, he "looks fat." Reportedly, he is walking well and will begin full workouts in January. He likely will miss the start of the season.

Did his bone graft take well then? I am not worried about him being a bit heavy. At least he is not not Prince size.

Did his bone graft take well then? I am not worried about him being a bit heavy. At least he is not not Prince size.
The Orange County Register had a story saying he is healthy and anxious to train but the Angels are not commenting. Sorry I can't find a link.

Archived