Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

I think this is the most informative interview Duquette has given to date. He's told us exactly what he's thinking -- backup catcher, another outfielder, and pitching.

Two things I found very interesting. The first is, Duquette has brought Antonelli in for more than just a look-see.

The follow up part about Davis also was interesting:

I don't know whether to be impressed that Duquette can cite Bill James' projections, or worried that he's citing them as evidence for something.

Overall, I am totally supportive for the approach Duquette is taking. He clearly plans to give some opportunities to young players to show what they can do with extended playing time. He also said he doesn't want to bring in a DH, but let Buck rotate guys in that spot, which I think is the right approach with the makeup of this particular team. We still need to see how he fills the holes, but I think the overall approach makes a lot of sense.[/quote

Anyone who thinks that Chris Davis is any kind of answer at EITHER corner infield spot hasnt been watching Chris Davis very carefully. He's another strikeout prone, feast or famine guy.

The LAST thing the Orioles need is more K's in their offense, and Davis, like Reynolds is a K machine.

Of course the Orioles need pitching, maybe a couple or three..but to suggest that the Orioles are "set " with Reynolds and Davis on one or the other corner spots is preposterous. Antonelli is NOT

considered to be an everyday starter. When will this team realize it needs a major game changer bat at first base?

DD is right. Oriole fans arent going to be happy with this philosophy in the short run..or the long run either.

I hope the Orioles have something else up their sleeve to excite the fan base. Maybe Darvish or another import..but definately not more bargain basement re-treads.

Roy, would you have thought Carlos Pena, Ortiz or J Bautista would be answers?

Davis represents a guy with tremendous power who has performed well in the minors.

He has a chance at being our reclamation project and because of that, you have to give him sufficient at bats to prove he can't be that player.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said numerous times that Reynolds shouldn't have a glove on his hand. He is a butcher, period. IMO, he looked good at first after he first made the move but eventually you saw his deficiencies start to creep in again over there. Balls were getting under his glove, I mean literally under his glove on balls hit one to two steps away. I saw him at least once drop a ball thrown to him at his chest by either Hardy or Andino on a relay. People were somehow impressed because he had a knack for picking balls that every ML 1B should pick regularly and making some diving plays. The problem was too often the routine balls. I mean is he better at 1st than 3rd?? Yeah, because one of his biggest issues at 3rd was coming in on balls which he was horrible at and you eliminate so many more potential throwing errors by playing 1st. He's a DH, but DD seem content to "hide" him at first so they can have average offensive production at the position and have flexibility at DH.

Fair assessment. What I think is missing here is the question of whether Davis is any better at 3B than Reynolds. His MiL and major league record there suggests that he's not, and I was not very impressed with what I saw last year. Reynolds had his worst defensive season at 3B last year, but if he had his average defensive season (which is well below major league average), he would be better there than Davis, IMO, and Davis is the better defender at 1B.

Anyone who thinks that Chris Davis is any kind of answer at EITHER corner infield spot hasnt been watching Chris Davis very carefully. He's another strikeout prone, feast or famine guy.

The LAST thing the Orioles need is more K's in their offense, and Davis, like Reynolds is a K machine.

Of course the Orioles need pitching, maybe a couple or three..but to suggest that the Orioles are "set " with Reynolds and Davis on one or the other corner spots is preposterous. Antonelli is NOT

considered to be an everyday starter. When will this team realize it needs a major game changer bat at first base?

DD is right. Oriole fans arent going to be happy with this philosophy in the short run..or the long run either.

I hope the Orioles have something else up their sleeve to excite the fan base. Maybe Darvish or another import..but definately not more bargain basement re-treads.

I don't think DD is thrilled with what he has at 3B. It's just what he has at the moment. That said, there aren't really any options available via FA and making a trade is no sure thing (given the other teams value of said player plays a part). I'd love to get a guy like Headley from SD or maybe Stewart from COL but short of those 2 guys (who have been rumored at some point to potentially be available), how are you filling that hole? ARam? I hope not. Betemit? Maybe. There just aren't many "good" options out there. Not ones I'd prefer to seeing what Davis/ Antonelli can do...

Fair assessment. What I think is missing here is the question of whether Davis is any better at 3B than Reynolds. His MiL and major league record there suggests that he's not, and I was not very impressed with what I saw last year. Reynolds had his worst defensive season at 3B last year, but if he had his average defensive season (which is well below major league average), he would be better there than Davis, IMO, and Davis is the better defender at 1B.

I agree again. I think it's unlikely Davis has the bat to hold down a starting 1B job, but if we're committed to having Davis and Reynolds at the corners then Davis at 1B and Reynolds at 3B will save us some runs. I think Reynolds' defense was somewhat anomalous. He's not a good defender, but he's not -30 either. I was not all that impressed with Reynolds' defense at 1B. He seemed okay, but nothing special. Davis seemed much more comfortable there, and I think he might actually be worse at 3B than Reynolds.

Im suprised that DD said Davis was a legit option at 3b. I really expected 3rd to be a position we looked to upgrade in FA or through a trade and I still think we could and should.

Im suprised that DD said Davis was a legit option at 3b. I really expected 3rd to be a position we looked to upgrade in FA or through a trade and I still think we could and should.

Sounds like Antonelli will rotate with Davis at third. Antonelli would be the fallback.

Andino the fallback to Antonelli. If we get a FA then Antonelli and Davis don't get enough AB's. Why not let them play them and test their upside instead of a more expensive/mediocre FA at third with no real upside.

Roy, would you have thought Carlos Pena, Ortiz or J Bautista would be answers?

Davis represents a guy with tremendous power who has performed well in the minors.

He has a chance at being our reclamation project and because of that, you have to give him sufficient at bats to prove he can't be that player.

The big difference between Davis and those guys is that they all had at least some idea of how to control the strike zone. I think it's much less likely a guy busts out when he has a K:BB ratio of 5:1 and walks in less than 7% of his PAs.

But right now they have little choice but to see if he can break out of that mold.

It's kinda like I said earlier this year to Trea. This isn't a one year fix kind of situation. You don't HAVE to find a perm. answer at 1st or 3rd this season. You can play your options that still have some questions, so you know once and for all, and then fix one or both next offseason. It's better to be completely sure of the options you have than to rush to bring in another option and give something up to do it. We are going to be terrible this year regardless of who is at first or third, so unfortunately, once again, we have to sit back and hope some silver lining unfolds during this season for the future.

It's kinda like I said earlier this year to Trea. This isn't a one year fix kind of situation. You don't HAVE to find a perm. answer at 1st or 3rd this season. You can play your options that still have some questions, so you know once and for all, and then fix one or both next offseason. It's better to be completely sure of the options you have than to rush to bring in another option and give something up to do it. We are going to be terrible this year regardless of who is at first or third, so unfortunately, once again, we have to sit back and hope some silver lining unfolds during this season for the future.

Yep. I'd rather see Davis/Antonelli go at than sign Aram or Wilson Betemit.

I agree with you Drungo...That's the biggest issue.

Its also why I am so high on the Antonelli signing.

I don't think Davis WILL become that player for us but at this point, with how the team is constructed, he should get the chance.

That's where I am, as well. I'm not convinced Davis is going to make it, as he seems to have some pretty big holes in his swing. But the power is certainly legit, and his major league playing time has been sufficiently sporadic that I'd like to see if he can improve if given regular time. And Antonelli seems like a decent Plan B.

I'd like an upgrade, too, but it's a pretty weak position league-wide.

Archived