Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, much ado about DD thinking Davis is the clear answer at 3B, yet that is not what he said:

He started by mentioning he knows improvement has to be made in the field:

"He's a good athlete. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to improve."

And then followed up by stating he had to change his approach at the plate:

"Obviously, he'd have to mature and his approach would have to be consistent for him to do that, but he's got that kind of capability."

Frobby, would you also agree that just because Davis is here doesn't mean we should just be satisfied with him and not look to upgrade over him?

Or do you think he should just be handed the job?

No, we can look for an upgrade, but you also have to look at what we have to give up to upgrade and decide if it is worth it.

Duquette indicated during his introductory press conference that the Orioles wouldn't pursue the big-ticket items on the free agent market. That means no Prince Fielder, right?

"I kind of poured water on that one, didn't I?" he said.

:vader::vader::vader::vader::vader::vader::vader:

No, we can look for an upgrade, but you also have to look at what we have to give up to upgrade and decide if it is worth it.

Ian Stewart is available according to MLBTR. If he gets non tendered I expect that O's to make a run at him. I don't think they trade two minor leaguers for the right to pay him 3M+. But if they can get him cheap, I believe DD would go after him.

I see that JTrea's Orioles Anonymous site has been shut down. I guess he's really done.

Orioles Anonymous is alive and well and on a brand new host.

I'm not going anywhere as far as being a Site Admin...

As for Duquette, he's never come out and said he will not pursue Fielder. He's said that premium FAs are not his first choice, but he did not rule them out. Nor did he in this entry of Roch's. He never said anything like that. Couple that with StrawDawg's post about the meeting with Boras for Fielder and I think he's just keeping things on the down low.

He said he would not talk about the Orioles FA strategy and he still hasn't really.

Roch is just making an assumption IMO.

Reynolds could very well be traded as he doesn't really have a position were the Orioles to acquire a 1B man, and he can be a FA after 2012 if the Orioles don't pick up his option. And the 1B solutions look worse after this year and the organization has no good internal options for the position.

A LT solution at 1B is needed, and Duquette would be doing himself and the Orioles a disservice not to go after Fielder. Which is why I think he will, but just wants to keep everybody thinking he won't.

Remember also the Yankees ruled out Teixeira when they got Nick Swisher...

Archived