I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade the pitching. But there is no TOR we are going to find for less than 15 million per season for 3 years or less in this FA market.

Wilson and Buerhle are your top options and Wilson already has a 6 year offer.

This is the time to get pitching that will improve your club, but to put all your resources into it would be foolish when the quality and quantity will improve next offseason while elite hitting like Fielder and Pujols will be nowhere to be found.

Mark Reynolds is not a permanent solution for 1B and there is nobody behind him.

Ditto for Chris Davis/Matt Antonelli at 3B. We have no LT solutions at our corner IF positions where you typically get a good chunk of your offense. That needs to be addressed.

So you're admitting that, to your knowledge, in the entire history of the game no major league team has made it to the playoffs (i.e., been competitive for a WS title) when its pitching finished dead last in all of baseball?

Moreover, you're admitting that the Orioles cannot acquire the pitching they need this winter, which means that, even if the O's sign Fielder, they CANNOT be competitive next year. Accordingly, that's one "prime" year wasted for Fielder at the front end, which would leave approximately 3 more years after that within which the O's could "win" with Fielder.

In short, you want the O's to give 6-7 years for a player who MIGHT be useful to the O's for half of that ridiculously gigantic contract based on the OFF CHANCE that the Orioles MIGHT be able to sign the pitching they so desperately need to stand a chance of winning a year or more from now?

That's what you're saying?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're admitting that, to your knowledge, in the entire history of the game no major league team has made it to the playoffs (i.e., been competitive for a WS title) when its pitching finished dead last in all of baseball?

Moreover, you're admitting that the Orioles cannot acquire the pitching they need this winter, which means that, even if the O's sign Fielder, they CANNOT be competitive next year. Accordingly, that's one "prime" year wasted for Fielder at the front end, which would leave approximately 3 more years after that within which the O's could "win" with Fielder.

In short, you want the O's to give 6-7 years for a player who MIGHT be useful to the O's for half of that ridiculously gigantic contract based on the OFF CHANCE that the Orioles MIGHT be able to sign the pitching they so desperately need to stand a chance of winning a year or more from now?

That's what you're saying?

Of course, that's always been the plan.

Are people really talking about playoffs? I'm hoping for a 4th place finish, maybe an 80 win season, a meaningful game in June, some sort of excitement on the field. Give me Prince this off-season and maybe it's a stepping stone for other above average players to come here in the future.

Since the Orioles have recently brought in Gregg, Gonzales, Atkins etc., I don't care if his contract prevents more of those tier of players coming here.

I think the Orioles can add the parts they get this year and then add the parts next year that are available..... No sense to press to fill a position that cant be filled. Why not get Fielder this season and when there are better free agent pitchers and more of them next year then get a really goood one then. It seems to make sense.

Improved run support will help the teams pitching IMO...Too many times last season the Orioles picthing pitched from behind or with little or no run support.

I think the Orioles can add the parts they get this year and then add the parts next year that are available..... No sense to press to fill a position that cant be filled. Why not get Fielder this season and when there are better free agent pitchers and more of them next year then get a really goood one then. It seems to make sense.

Improved run support will help the teams pitching IMO...Too many times last season the Orioles picthing pitched from behind or with little or no run support.

They pitched from behind because they suck as pitchers. Look at the Team ERA.

They pitched from behind because they suck as pitchers. Look at the Team ERA.

Come on Dude Seriously ....OK your right :rolleyes:

Guts run support is among the worst in the league.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/9/7/2411582/major-league-baseball-run-support-for-qualified-sp-as-of-9-6-2011

How many times did Orioles pitchers get little or nos ... In addition how many saves did Gregg blow ?

The Orioles definately need starting pitching help and the bullpen has been terrible especially at closer . The pitching isnt the only problem ...They havent had a feared middle of the order hittersince Palmeiro the 1st time.

I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade the pitching. But there is no TOR we are going to find for less than 15 million per season for 3 years or less in this FA market.

Wilson and Buerhle are your top options and Wilson already has a 6 year offer.

This is the time to get pitching that will improve your club, but to put all your resources into it would be foolish when the quality and quantity will improve next offseason while elite hitting like Fielder and Pujols will be nowhere to be found.

Mark Reynolds is not a permanent solution for 1B and there is nobody behind him.

Ditto for Chris Davis/Matt Antonelli at 3B. We have no LT solutions at our corner IF positions where you typically get a good chunk of your offense. That needs to be addressed.

FWIW, I don't entirely disagree with some of what you are saying here. The big difference is your perception that we can spend an unlimited amount on Fielder, and then still go out later and spend an unlimited amount on a couple of pitchers, and yet keep relatively intact the core of good players who are here already. I simply don't believe the team will spend that kind of money, and once you put a roof on spending, then you have to make choices, and realize that signing one guy may preclude your from doing other things.

FWIW, I don't entirely disagree with some of what you are saying here. The big difference is your perception that we can spend an unlimited amount on Fielder, and then still go out later and spend an unlimited amount on a couple of pitchers, and yet keep relatively intact the core of good players who are here already. I simply don't believe the team will spend that kind of money, and once you put a roof on spending, then you have to make choices, and realize that signing one guy may preclude your from doing other things.

Well we lose even more money next offseason. We don't have to pick up Reynolds' option or Gregg's. There's some money for a SP.

And if we add Fielder this offseason, and we can win 85+ games, the Orioles can always hike the price of tickets to generate more revenue for better players.

Oh, so Albert Belle wasn't feared when he had 37 HR and 117 RBI for us, and Miguel Tejada wasn't feared when he knocked in 150?

We have not consistently had a feared middle of the order hitter nor have we had a 1B man that has broke 3.0 fWAR in 13 seasons.

Duquette's Boston teams had Mo Vaughn. We have no Mo Vaughn.

Well we lose even more money next offseason. We dont' have to pick up Reynolds' option or Gregg's. There's some money for a SP.

I would say not picking up Gregg's option is a definite.

I see no reason why we would not pick up Reynolds'. If they aren't planning on keeping him then they should trade him rather than just let him walk.

Well we lose even more money next offseason. We don't have to pick up Reynolds' option or Gregg's. There's some money for a SP.

And if we add Fielder this offseason, and we can win 85+ games, the Orioles can always hike the price of tickets to generate more revenue for better players.

Yea you're optimistic.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but isn't this team's problem more with pitching and defense than it is a MOO bat? Granted, I'd love to see a true #4 hitter in this lineup, but I'd rather see DD address the rotation and BP first and foremost. That, to me anyway, should be the first order of business.

Just read Duq's words:

Here's what Duquette had to say regarding their interest in Prince Fielder:

"We have interest in a lot of free agents. People want to talk about Fielder because they think he's a good matchup with the city because of his left-handed swing and the short porch beneath the warehouse, right? So, they're talking about it. We do have an interest in a number of free agents. I'm not sure why it keeps coming back to Prince Fielder.

"We've got a lot of work to do to build our pitching staff. We were in the middle of the pack as far as runs scored. If we're going to be a championship team, we're going to have to increase our offense. But I'm going to tell you right now, we're probably going to direct more of our resources into pitching this time around than we are other positions, because of the need of the team."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/12/hearing-more-from-duquette.html

You remind me of the guy who always hears "yes" when the girl says "no." Duq wants to upgrade the offense, but pitching is clearly his priority and I mean now, not next year.

Archived