And this isn't happening overnight. I'd rather see DD go out and acquire a Jurrjens or Minor via trade, and roll the dice on someone like Edwin Jackson via FA. Maybe bring Bedard back.

Not arguing with the incremental approach. Am arguing with the idea that 82 wins is within reach by virtue of "a little" improvement on the part of the pitching staff.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to take more than one year to turn this team into a championship team but by adding a piece here and thier this offseason and along with a little luck we could at least be competitive!!! I look at all the freeagents available and the one that sticks out to me the most that would improve our ballclub as it sets today is fielder none of the freeagent pitchers are game changers. I also think the best way for us to improve our pitching is through trade and the guy that could net us the best pitching is Jones imo. If we traded Jones for pitching then I say we go hard after fielder or even Cespedes or heck why not both.

Well, they were prepared to pay Tex that.
They were prepared to offer that because; a) they knew it was a non-starter. Before the Yankees, we had the lowest of four bids on the table, and, b) it was as close as we would get to the Ripken storybook; the hometown kid playing for the Orioles.

ETA: Is this definitive enough for some of you?

One of the names who can almost assuredly be crossed off the list is free-agent slugger Prince Fielder. While Duquette said earlier in the day that he wouldn't completely rule out Fielder, manager Buck Showalter flat-out said no in his media session Monday afternoon, stating that the Orioles would prefer to leave that kind of high-priced signing to "the big boys." Duquette seemed to echo more of that sentiment a few hours later, stressing that Baltimore will allocate most of its resources to upgrade the pitching staff.
source - Britt Ghiroli

Yes baseball is entertainment to a degree. And I don't think they need " elite " pitching to win. But they damn sure need at least league average pitching and they have been far, far away from that for a long time.

Improving the pitching would provide the most bang for the buck.

This team has been "growing arms" for seemingly forever.

It's time to go and "buy a bat."

The Orioles seem much more vocal post-McPhail. With DD, the O's seem more back and forth on certain questions and we really shouldn't put too much stock into specific answers, since a majority of their answers still depend on who they acquire and with what. In a perfect world = Fielder.....and we are not in that world (unless they work some serious magic in the trade market).

Betcha it's us. ;)
Don't laugh but Steve Phillips on XM just said he always thought the O's would get in on Pujols. I can't imagine why he thinks that, and of course he didn't elaborate. XM where failed and possibly felonious GM's go to die.:rolleyestf:

Archived