Dan Duquette to be on ESPN Radio with Jim Bowden @2pm.

andrewrickli

Na, that was fueled by some insider balderdash. He'll take this like a man. You watch.

Yep, there's no definite like I thought there was with Tex. That I thought was a sure thing based on the info I heard both in this forum and elsewhere.

I've said this is 50/50 and Duquette's done nothing to lead me to believe otherwise on either end of the spectrum.

So we'll just wait and see...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sounded to me that DD was suggesting (I have xm) that Matusz lack of time at AA failed to allow him to fully mature as a pitcher. So, while he had success at the ML level (he mentioned his 7 straight wins in 2010), he wasn't able to adjust once the league adjusted to him. Not saying that's a completely accurate assessment, but as someone else already mentioned, he seemed adamant that pitchers coming up from here on out will get a full season at AA before going any further.

I don't buy it. Matusz wasn't himself last year, simple as that.

Yep, there's no definite like I thought there was with Tex. That I thought was a sure thing based on the info I heard both in this forum and elsewhere.

I've said this is 50/50 and Duquette's done nothing to lead me to believe otherwise on either end of the spectrum.

So we'll just wait and see...

50/50? REALLY, in your world I have a 50/50 chance of waking up with the Olsen twins in the morning and having the opportunity to dump them for the cast of the SI swimsuit edition.

DD on the core:

Jones - good

Wieters -terrific

Hardy- really good

Reynolds - good

Markakis - very popular

It's official: DD is not a Markakis fan.

I have noticed that Duquette has characterized Markakis as "popular" several times, while calling other players "good" or something similar. Whatever. Unless he trades Markakis this winter, he will watch Nick play every day next year and then begin to understand why he is popular.

I have noticed that Duquette has characterized Markakis as "popular" several times, while calling other players "good" or something similar. Whatever. Unless he trades Markakis this winter, he will watch Nick play every day next year and then begin to understand why he is popular.

I'll be honest, I won't be surprised if we attempt to trade Nick to the Braves. He's hit great in that park, he's from the area, and I think he would thrive playing in a competitive environment.

I'll be honest, I won't be surprised if we attempt to trade Nick to the Braves. He's hit great in that park, he's from the area, and I think he would thrive playing in a competitive environment.

In that scenario, the O's could add Quentin and Scott for < Markakis$ and play both full-time (when healthy). Luke/Carlos Q. = DH (when healthy); RF Reimold/Carlos Q.; LF Luke/Reimold/Chavez. The problem is significant drop in OF defense with Nick gone. I think Reimold could minimize that loss in RF with his gun of an arm....but Luke/Carlos starting everyday in the OF? Plus Reimold's injury history in the MiL, Carlos' injury history & Lukes age/injury recovery. It does not bode well, unless the O's have near replacement hitters & +defenders waiting in the wings. Can any of the defensive utility IF guys play good D(D)?

I would trade Nick to ATL, but it'd have to be a 3 or 4 for 1 with some real players coming back, not some random low level filler.

I would trade Nick to ATL, but it'd have to be a 3 or 4 for 1 with some real players coming back, not some random low level filler.

Would you make the trade:

Nick to ATL

and

Jurrjens, Prado, and a prospect to BAL?

Basically same Joens trade except its Markakis instead

Would you make the trade:

Nick to ATL

and

Jurrjens, Prado, and a prospect to BAL?

Basically same Joens trade except its Markakis instead

I don't want Prado, and I want a decent prospect. I'm very interested in shedding his contract, but I'm not sold on Jair's health. I'd like Brandon Drury back in the deal.

His cousin was on the air this morning saying it was a mistake to only have two guys in major league scouting and every team in baseball has a lot more. Pretty bad when even your cousin is trashing you. From what I have heard from DD he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the shed but whatever. He will be judged by the teams record.

Really? He is a GM for a MLB team and built a team into a World Series Champion and he is not the sharpest tool in the shed? What did Jim Duquette win? Jim Duquette is famous for trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano while serving as the Mets GM in 2004 before being replaced by Omar Minaya. Dan Duquette was the GM for the Expos from 1991 through 1994 and the Red Sox from 1994 through 2002. Duquette was the farm director for the Expos from 1987 through 1991. Duquette is credited for leading the turn around for both the Expos and Red Sox.

Here is a list of players that Dan Duquette drafted and signed while serving as a GM.

Marquis Grissom

Cliff Floyd

Rondell White

Vlad Guerrero

Javier Vasquez

Orlando Cabrera

With the Expos Duquette traded for John Wetteland and Pedro Martinez. While with the Red Sox Duquette traded for Tim Wakefield, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, Jason Varitek. He also signed Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon. He also traded Jorge De La Rosa for Curt Schiling. He also drafted Garciaparra, Youkilis, David Eckstein, Adam Everett, Freddy Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez.

Are we still putting more stock into Jim Duquette opinion than Dan Duquette? I am glad that we have this idiot based on his track record as a quality baseball guy and our track record as a crap organization.

Archived