#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps,the O's are not that high on Jurjjens and want a different package or better prospects with him..

Hopefully we're holding out for a JJ/Minor/Salcedo type of trade.

If we can get a real quality third player, I'd be well on-board.

I like Jurrjens, I just don't like him enough to put him with Prado and be happy with that trade for Jones. I think he is too big of a risk to have him be the biggest trade piece. I have loudly been against trading Jones unless it's a great trade. I think the Braves have the pieces to give what it would take to get Jones.

I like Jurrjens, I just don't like him enough to put him with Prado and be happy with that trade for Jones. I think he is too big of a risk to have him be the biggest trade piece. I have loudly been against trading Jones unless it's a great trade. I think the Braves have the pieces to give what it would take to get Jones.

The Braves have the pieces to pretty much get anyone in baseball. That's how many top notch pitching prospects are in their system.

Meh, not as high on Smyly as most, and don't really like Voss much. For me it's Turner/Castellanos or bust.

So, my question is what do we have that Detroit would need to add to a deal that would get us Turner + Costellanos? Bullpen? Maybe a guy like Prado? Guthrie too much? Does a trade where they get JJ but give up Turner really make any sense for Detroit? I have my doubts, but I'll entertain the discussion.

I do like where SG's going with the idea of getting JJ, Minor, + and then flipping JJ.

In theory, Jones could net us something like Minor, Turner, Castellanos and maybe Salcedo. I'm guessing we'd have to add to both trades to get those four, but not with people that I'd necessarily really care about losing.

I really hope DD is shooting for upside talent like this and offering up our pieces that would help other teams to get that talent.

Perhaps that's why we're pushing to sign a veteran starter this week? I could see three trades.

1. Jones + Hoes to Atlanta for JJ, Minor (or other P) and Salcedo.

2. Guthrie to Anaheim/Cin/whoever for prospect.

3. JJ + prospect to Detroit for Turner and Castellanos or to another team

What doens't add up to me is JJ's value if we try to flip him.

A few thoughts...... First, now that the cat is out of the bag with our willingness to deal Jones, why wouldn't we slow play this just a little to see if someone else wants to raise the stakes? Second, given that he's two years from free agency, is it wrong to assume that it's more Atlanta pushing Jurrgens than us desiring him? I would rather have Prado (only because they have to move him t make room for Jones and we could use him at 2B) and a group of their top prospects. Ideally, we wouldn't have to deal for Prado at all and we could truly focus on maximizing young talent as our return for one of our few trading pieces. I have a hard time believing that a deal for AJ that returns Jurrjens/Prado/other is the best long term return we can get for Jones......unless as has been mentioned in this thread (SG?), we have a second deal in place to spin Jurrjens for prospects. Third, it's nice to see the O's being proactive. If this comes out right in the end, I'll feel better about our longer term chances to make changes. Right about now is where I am conditioned to expect Angelos to step in.

This post reflects my feelings as well. I suspect that AJ's been discussed in several scenarios since the GM meetings and not just with the Braves, so I don't think the cat is exactly "out of the bag" at this point. I think Atlanta is definitely pushing Jurrjens. He's going to get expensive soon, they've got a ton of good pitchers standing by, and his performance after the AS break last year should be at least a small red flag.

My hope is that Jones to Atlanta won't happen. I still think that Jones is going to explode offensively and will be a cornerstone for the Orioles. Rather than trading him, I would hope they are trying to lock him up with a long-term contract.

My hope is that Jones to Atlanta won't happen. I still think that Jones is going to explode offensively and will be a cornerstone for the Orioles. Rather than trading him, I would hope they are trying to lock him up with a long-term contract.

He doesn't walk and has a relatively poor approach at the plate...Why do you think he will explode?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/orioles-rumors-adam-jones-tommy-hanson-fielder.html

The Orioles are fairly confident they will add another outfielder, though that wouldn't necessarily portend an Adam Jones trade. The Orioles were not overly intrigued by the Braves' offer of Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, and a minor league pitcher. Connolly doesn't see Jurrjens as a centerpiece for a Jones trade. Instead, the Orioles are intrigued by Tommy Hanson.

drool

The Orioles are fairly confident they will add another outfielder, though that wouldn't necessarily portend an Adam Jones trade. The Orioles were not overly intrigued by the Braves' offer of Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, and a minor league pitcher. Connolly doesn't see Jurrjens as a centerpiece for a Jones trade. Instead, the Orioles are intrigued by Tommy Hanson.

drool

RmxYJ.jpg

Archived