MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jan. 17. I think they can wait 9 more days.

I think something gets done this week, I think Boras will have enough confidence in whether he can get the Rangers into the bidding by sometime this week and will get a deal done. Just my opinion, just don't think either he or Fielder would want this to drag out into the 3rd week of Jan...

I think something gets done this week, I think Boras will have enough confidence in whether he can get the Rangers into the bidding by sometime this week and will get a deal done. Just my opinion, just don't think either he or Fielder would want this to drag out into the 3rd week of Jan...
How would Boras have any idea about the negotiations with Darvish. If they fall through, TEX could well be serious players, or at least potential for driving up the price. Boras will wait until the very last minute if he has to. That's his MO.

How would Boras have any idea about the negotiations with Darvish. If they fall through, TEX could well be serious players, or at least potential for driving up the price. Boras will wait until the very last minute if he has to. That's his MO.

A last I saw Darvish wanted drastically more than Texas was offering. I'll see if I can find the link

Saturday morning I went to the gym in my Orioles shirt and hat, and one of the girls asked me how many days til Spring Training started? I laughed it off at first, but then as I sat at the bench press machine, I thought, holy crap, we're like 5 weeks away.

I can't imagine too many teams want to have a hole at first as we near ST, and I can't imagine Fielder wanting to wait too much longer either. I predict that before we know the Super Bowl matchup, we'll know where Fielder will be playing. In other words, it'll be known before January 22.

In any event, he won't be in an Orioles uniform unless he has a photo similar to Coco Crisp somewhere in a photo album in his closet.

All of you " We're not close" and "it would be a wasted use of resource" or" the money needs to be spent in development" people need to look at the simple fact if the Nats do indeed sign Prince.

This Washington franchise will be much closer to competing after moving into D.C. in 2007 than the Orioles have in 14 years. They are

a better franchise not merely because they drafted and scouted better, but also because they took risks and were willing to spend

money and it will surely end up showing in the standings.Period.

This is true with or without Fielder in a Nats uniform.

All of you " We're not close" and "it would be a wasted use of resource" or" the money needs to be spent in development" people need to look at the simple fact if the Nats do indeed sign Prince.

This Washington franchise will be much closer to competing after moving into D.C. in 2007 than the Orioles have in 14 years. They are

a better franchise not merely because they drafted and scouted better, but also because they took risks and were willing to spend

On what "risk" has Washington spent money that has gotten them closer to competing?

The Expos had a good farm system when they moved to DC...The Orioles farm system has stunk since it produced Ripken. You can count the star players that went through this organization on one hand. Subtract the pitchers and you almost dont need have a hand to count on.

Saturday morning I went to the gym in my Orioles shirt and hat, and one of the girls asked me how many days til Spring Training started? I laughed it off at first, but then as I sat at the bench press machine, I thought, holy crap, we're like 5 weeks away.

Every now and then something makes me regret moving out of Florida. Usually, it is Spring Training related.

If I had some cash, I would buy a condo in Sarasota lickity splickity. Planning to retire when I 30, because spring training is that awesome.

I am sure it was hard drafting Strasburgh and Harper. They must have had to do a ton of research and scouting on that one...

I will never understand the Werth signing.

I am sure it was hard drafting Strasburgh and Harper. They must have had to do a ton of research and scouting on that one...

Sorry but this means nothing. Harper has yet to play in the majors and Strasburg made 5 starts last year. They went .500 with the rest of the talent they drafted and developed. Getting Strasburg back this year will be huge, and the same thing can be said of Harper when he is ready. But they haven't really even factored in to where the Nationals are today.

I will never understand the Werth signing.

I won't either. Maybe they thought that $100 million was the going rate for solid FA's? But it shows that the Nationals are willing to spend money on FA's.

Their signing of Werth has shown the world that they're willing do whatever it takes to win, and as you know wanting it badly enough is half the battle. The half MacPhail never had.

Sarcasm? Because otherwise it's a sidestepping of Stotle's question (willingness to do whatever it takes in the abstract may bring a team closer to winning, but that doesn't speak at all to what Werth's contract accomplished, specifically).

And regardless, the Werth contract can only be ameliorated by winning. It doesn't provide a direct benefit to Washington. Knowing that to be true only requires looking back at the host of bad contracts that have been handed out by good and bad teams alike (e.g., what did Carlos Lee's contract earn the Astros? How about Mike Hampton's for the Rockies?). Can the Nats win despite the Werth contract? Maybe...but that doesn't mean the contract itself was anything other than all-over stupid.

Archived