MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

Sarcasm? Because otherwise it's a sidestepping of Stotle's question (willingness to do whatever it takes in the abstract may bring a team closer to winning, but that doesn't speak at all to what Werth's contract accomplished, specifically).

And regardless, the Werth contract can only be ameliorated by winning. It doesn't provide a direct benefit to Washington. Knowing that to be true only requires looking back at the host of bad contracts that have been handed out by good and bad teams alike (e.g., what did Carlos Lee's contract earn the Astros? How about Mike Hampton's for the Rockies?). Can the Nats win despite the Werth contract? Maybe...but that doesn't mean the contract itself was anything other than all-over stupid.

Yes, of course it's sarcasm. I've been outspoken in my criticism of handing out huge overpays to get players to sign with otherwise undesirable franchises.

The Nats actually have done a bang-up job rebuilding their farm system and development efforts after the Expos mess eviscerated them. That's what's getting them back to relevancy, not giving declining 30-something outfielders 7/120 deals. If the Nats make the postseason it'll almost certainly be in spite of Werth and those efforts. If they sign someone like Fielder to really put them in the sweet spot it won't have much of anything to do with the effort and show they put forth with Werth.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, of course it's sarcasm. I've been outspoken in my criticism of handing out huge overpays to get players to sign with otherwise undesirable franchises.

The Nats actually have done a bang-up job rebuilding their farm system and development efforts after the Expos mess eviscerated them. That's what's getting them back to relevancy, not giving declining 30-something outfielders 7/120 deals. If the Nats make the postseason it'll almost certainly be in spite of Werth and those efforts. If they sign someone like Fielder to really put them in the sweet spot it won't have much of anything to do with the effort and show they put forth with Werth.

I stand relieved. Sorry, but your last post was just dry enough to make me wonder (clearly).

I will never understand the Werth signing.

The rumors were that the Nats put in a substantial bid for almost every major free agent for several years running, but Werth was the first one they overpaid by so much he actually took them up on it. Guess they wanted to prove they were capable of buying some wins. Now they'll have to win despite him.

This is a great question. I wonder why it hasn't been answered?

Fielder makes a lot of sense for the Nationals, especially sinced they traded away part of their future for Gio. They are in the "sweet spot" of the go for it by filling in gaps with expensive free agents once you get close and have a window.

It makes some sense but I think they would be better off waiting on Votto.

Actually, the Expos farms system was horrible when the team moved to D.C.

And I mean HORRIBLE. :(

In fact, I'm surprised the Nats were able to build it up as quickly as they did.

Well they got there by having the first pick in the last couple of VERY deep drafts. Strasburg looks to be a once in a generation type arm; Harper is a little more common but still an amazing get.

The Orioles have drafted very poorly over the last decade -plus and really only started to turn that around the last six years or so. They have had some unfortunate busts, Snyder/Rowell even if they weren't bad picks at the time.

For all we know Harper could come up to the majors and fall apart completely. Strasburg might be more human after surgery and being exposed to ML-level talent year-after-year.

Well they got there by having the first pick in the last couple of VERY deep drafts. Strasburg looks to be a once in a generation type arm; Harper is a little more common but still an amazing get.

The Orioles have drafted very poorly over the last decade -plus and really only started to turn that around the last six years or so. They have had some unfortunate busts, Snyder/Rowell even if they weren't bad picks at the time.

For all we know Harper could come up to the majors and fall apart completely. Strasburg might be more human after surgery and being exposed to ML-level talent year-after-year.

They did hit the draft powerball with sucking the best two years to suck in recent history.

But they also spent like a serious team in the post-first rounds as well. We are a first round spender and a couple of overslots sprinkled in. But this last draft was an absolute joke. I mean we were what 11th in spend? I'm guessing the warehouse guys knew the draft would be revamped with the CBA, and instead of going out with a bang they went out with their tails between their legs.

Same with international. I'm sure it was pretty understood an international cap was in play in the CBA and what did we do this offseason? Barely a whisper before DD came on board.

The Nats aimed to build through the draft and they actually did it. We talked about building through the draft and didn't follow through. And the results speak for themselves.

I'm hoping that changes with DD.

Fielder as a free agent, at this point of the off season, is a perfect storm for the Orioles. The big boys (NY,Boston, LAA, LAD,Cubs........) are not interested. An impact player like this with almost no suitors will not come along again for some time. I have never had one tiny bit of hope that the Oriole FO would attempt to sign him, but this is a chance that won't come along again anytime soon. Go ahead and look ahead to future FA's like Votto and dream, but keep in mind, it will always just be a dream.

Fielder as a free agent' date=' at this point of the off season, is a perfect storm for the Orioles. The big boys (NY,Boston, LAA, LAD,Cubs........) are not interested. An impact player like this with almost no suitors will not come along again for some time. I have never had one tiny bit of hope that the Oriole FO would attempt to sign him, but this is a chance that won't come along again anytime soon. Go ahead and look ahead to future FA's like Votto and dream, but keep in mind, it will always just be a dream.[/quote']

Angelos wants to build a .500+ team on a ~$70MM payroll.

You have to face the facts, we will never sign a top FA to long a term deal.

But Washington was essentially a .500 team last year without any significant contribution from Harper or Strasburg. Their rebuild is wholly independent of those two, or the luck associated with picking 1:1 in those two draft years.

I do think Fielder is holding things up.

For example, let's say he signs with Seattle...Well, that opens up a lot of trade possibilities with the Mariners, specifically Smoak.

Or if he signs with Baltimore, Seattle can move on to other options...

Archived