MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

Actually I wasn't trying to discredit His post at all. It certainly was a plausible story. I was just referencing a comment I think Weams made in a thread the other day about the sources from whom he got his best "insider" information. I guess you had to be there. I certainly apologize if I offended anyone.

I didn't think you were getting snarky. I was actually agreed with you and understood what you were saying. I think a lot of people get slack for being insiders, but when someone starts the post with "I am not an insider, but my Dad has some contacts and those contacts had opinions" than they are good to go in my book.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't think you were getting snarky. I was actually agreed with you and understood what you were saying. I think a lot of people get slack for being insiders, but when someone starts the post with "I am not an insider, but my Dad has some contacts and those contacts had opinions" than they are good to go in my book.

Thank you. Sometimes it's hard for me to post in here without getting slammed. So I simply don't. I just saw an opportunity to throw the Indians in the mix, which I know is weird. But Boras always finds another surprise team so I can definitely see Prince going to the Indians for 7 years. By the way if you want to find my source (my father) you can google and find out who negotiates MLB's television contracts with ESPN. But if you do... please don't post that name to this forum. Thanks!

I could see the Yankees all over this. And would also sign EJax too.

I go back and forth with Edwin Jackson because I kind of want him, but not at the deal that the Yankees are likely to give him. In New York 5/60M has to feel like a bargain. I think the Orioles have a ton of pitchers who COULD fill the middle parts of the rotation, but I do not see anyone for the top. Jackson isn't elite, but he is capable and capable in Baltimore equates to ace. I heard on the radio today that the Orioles might decide to keep Guthrie to net a possible draft pick, but I would think that the Orioles could get a single B- type prospect in exchange for Guthrie if they signed Jackson to a deal. Who knows, maybe Guthrie to the Red Sox could make some sense if a package like Raul Alcantera (P, 22nd rated Sox prospect) and Cody Kukuk (23rd rated Sox prospect) was coming back in the deal. I would ask for lower level guys with good ability and hope that they could eventually contribute verses spending $9M for Guthrie in 2012 and not netting a pick in 2013.

Thank you. Sometimes it's hard for me to post in here without getting slammed. So I simply don't. I just saw an opportunity to throw the Indians in the mix, which I know is weird. But Boras always finds another surprise team so I can definitely see Prince going to the Indians for 7 years. By the way if you want to find my source (my father) you can google and find out who negotiates MLB's television contracts with ESPN. But if you do... please don't post that name to this forum. Thanks!

I will not post it on the forum, but if I can find it than a lot of other can now find it too. I don't need your Dad's name to trust you for three reasons. First, you information is not vital enough to the Orioles to leave people on the board disappointed, you have given me no reason not to trust you and I can not vouch for the guy negotiating the ESPN deal to be your Father. I trust everyone until they give me a reason not to. Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing you on here more often.

I honestly would not be the least bit surprised to see Prince wind up with the Yankees. I know they were looking at DH to rotate ARod and others, but the Yankees could afford to keep ARod playing third for 110 games and letting him get frequent rest. They could sign Prince to be DH and let him play 1st a couple of times of month.
The Yankees don't even want to pay EJax 4/44 M because they want to get the payroll down to 180 by 2014 and avoid the huge luxory tax. There is no way they are shelling out 25 M per for a DH they don't need.

I go back and forth with Edwin Jackson because I kind of want him, but not at the deal that the Yankees are likely to give him. In New York 5/60M has to feel like a bargain. I think the Orioles have a ton of pitchers who COULD fill the middle parts of the rotation, but I do not see anyone for the top. Jackson isn't elite, but he is capable and capable in Baltimore equates to ace. I heard on the radio today that the Orioles might decide to keep Guthrie to net a possible draft pick, but I would think that the Orioles could get a single B- type prospect in exchange for Guthrie if they signed Jackson to a deal. Who knows, maybe Guthrie to the Red Sox could make some sense if a package like Raul Alcantera (P, 22nd rated Sox prospect) and Cody Kukuk (23rd rated Sox prospect) was coming back in the deal. I would ask for lower level guys with good ability and hope that they could eventually contribute verses spending $9M for Guthrie in 2012 and not netting a pick in 2013.

While I don't have too much of a problem with dealing Guthrie at this point I do find myself hesitant. Out of everyone we have he is the only sure lock to give us 180 IP if not more. Since DD is innings-oriented I'd imagine he'd want the moon for Guthrie (the same way he does with Atlanta with the supposed Jones rumors). I respect him for that but I don't think anyone will bite. At least not until the deadline. I think DD is gearing up for many trades in July, rather than doing them now. I know that's a gamble but I agree with this line of thinking.

As for EJax... I'd love him. He'd be our #1`and would surely save our bullpen. But with EJax, Guthrie, Chen at the top of the rotation I think we'd actually lose out by not guaranteeing someone like Britton and Hunter a spot. That leaves us with what.... Matusz, Eveland, Wada and the rest. I don't see any of those guys giving us 150 innings unless we kept with them through their ups and downs. So with that said... I would rather us hang on to Guthrie. He is a great clubhouse presence and will certainly save our bullpen in the long run. I don't think we'd get fair value for him now compared to the trade deadline when teams are more desperate to add a #4 starter to their rotation whether it be due to lack of talent or injuries.

I will not post it on the forum, but if I can find it than a lot of other can now find it too. I don't need your Dad's name to trust you for three reasons. First, you information is not vital enough to the Orioles to leave people on the board disappointed, you have given me no reason not to trust you and I can not vouch for the guy negotiating the ESPN deal to be your Father. I trust everyone until they give me a reason not to. Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing you on here more often.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. When Melvin Mora retired I posted "inside" information saying he was a terrible clubhouse presence. I got that information from my Dad, who worked with his agent at the time. Lon Babby. I'm not afraid to post his name. I grew up with the Babby's and played baseball with their son and my Dad used to play tennis every Sunday morning with Lon. And he'd feed him information about a troublesome client of his. Many on the board chastised me saying that an agent would never reveal this information but the fact is is that he did. Now it's on my for posting his name but anyone with google could have put two and two together. Lon used to work for the O's back in the 80s and 90s I believe before becoming a great agent, aided by his close relationship with Grant Hill's father. After Grant turned pro he signed him, and later Tim Duncan as well as players from every sport. He is now the GM for the Phoenix Suns and has left the area so I no longer get "insider" tips because he doesn't talk to my dad anymore =) I hope this clears things up but I have many things to offer but I simply don't after the Tex fiasco a few years ago on this board.

I'm sorry... my error.. it was not the Tex fiasco. It was the apparent Derrek Lee signing back in what... '04? When we were close to signing Lee for his first free agency. And there was someone on hear that worked in the Warehouse who maybe got fired for leaking information. I can't remember it was such a long time ago but I remember those threads and people going nuts. And then the poster just vanished.

I'm sorry... my error.. it was not the Tex fiasco. It was the apparent Derrek Lee signing back in what... '04? When we were close to signing Lee for his first free agency. And there was someone on hear that worked in the Warehouse who maybe got fired for leaking information. I can't remember it was such a long time ago but I remember those threads and people going nuts. And then the poster just vanished.

The Orioles should have signed Lee in 2004. We wouldn't have made the playoffs, but the 2004 Lee would have been a bargain compared to the 2011 Lee that we actually signed for a little less than what he was asking for in his prime (Per year dollars). The Roberts trade that almost went down with the Angels. We could have had Kendrick IIRC and Kendrick for Roberts straight up would have been a better deal for the O's. I think it was Kendrick and Santana IIRC and that would have saved us dollars while upgrading the team. Angelos did shoot down the Cubs deal that looked like a bust, but even Sean Marshall was a good player and he might have been included in a deal. Sometimes it is hard to part with capable players for prospects, but the gamble can really open things up for a team IMO.

Prince to the Rangers if Darvish demands too high...

The Texas Rangers won the bidding for Yu Darvish late last month and have been negotiating a contract for the right-hander. There were reports that Darvish visited Arlington recently, too, but no deal has been struck to date.

The Rangers, reports Jon Heyman, have offered Darvish a similar deal to the one the Red Sox gave Daisuke Matsuzaka five years ago -- six years, $52 million. It's difficult to believe that will be enough, as Darvish is considered a better pitcher and over athlete, and inflation serves, as well.

If the Rangers do not sign Darvish by January 18, Darvish heads back to Japan and the Rangers will not have to surrender the bidding fee. It also likely means the club will look harder at Matt Garza and perhaps Hiroki Kuroda in order to shore up their starting rotation.

Meanwhile, Phil Rogers wrote over the weekend that the Rangers are studying a late run at Prince Fielder as a contingency if it deems Darvish's demands too high. Rogers adds some in Japan have said it's not a lock Darvish will come to the United States this season.

- Jason A. Churchill

Archived