MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

Didn't the Nats sign Werth and now are on the verge of signing Fielder?

You don't have to add $100 million in payroll during one off season, but you need to put the pieces together over time. This concept is completely lost on the "never spend anything ever again" crowd.

How's that looking already? Let's see if the Nats actually do sign Fielder and where it puts them in 4 years or so. I'd be willing to bet they are both albatrosses at that point.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to add $100 million in payroll during one off season, but you need to put the pieces together over time. This concept is completely lost on the "never spend anything ever again" crowd.

And lost on you is the fact that the Nats payroll last season was $21,447,110 lower then the O's. In 2010 it was $20,212,500 less.

The Nats have a lot more room to add payroll.

I don't know who these people are. I have never seen anyone express that notion since I have been here. Our current payroll as of now including estiimated arbitration, is about 75 M. Adding 8 W's from a TOR and Fielder is 45 M. That puts us at 120 M this season. To get another 8-10 W's the following year we would need to add another 30- 40 M upping the 2013 payroll to 150-160 M. Unlike the Gnats, we don't have Harper or Renden on the way, nor do we have a Gio and a Strasberg or two Zimmermans, on our current payroll.

I don't know who these people are. I have never seen anyone express that notion since I have been here. Our current payroll as of now including estiimated arbitration, is about 75 M. Adding 8 W's from a TOR and Fielder is 45 M. That puts us at 120 M this season. To get another 8-10 W's the following year we would need to add another 30- 40 M upping the 2013 payroll to 150-160 M. Unlike the Gnats, we don't have Harper or Renden on the way, nor do we have a Gio and a Strasberg or two Zimmermans, on our current payroll.

Because we didn't do the right thing when we had the chance 4 years ago.

We stayed in the "not quite rebuilding, not quite contending" mode that we're STILL in. Something has got to change.

I also am so glad that we haven't spent $126 Million on Jayson Werth. The Nationals will learn what Allowing Scott Boras to be their GM gets them.

We stayed in the "not quite rebuilding, not quite contending" mode that we're STILL in. Something has got to change.

I agree, I hope they rip it apart and trade everyone that won't be on the team by 2014.

This has got nothing to do with trying to win now by upping the payroll. It does argue that we should try to tighten our belts and get more out of what we are spending now, as the Gnat's seem to have done, Werth notwithstanding.

Shortstop J.J. Hardy said yesterday on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Report that he thinks former teammate Prince Fielder would "help [the Orioles] out a lot," according to Kubatko.

Here some wind for Trea's sails ...Im sure its been posted ...But didnt want to look through pages & pages to try & find it .... Sorry in advance if its a duplicate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/for-the-nationals-prince-fielder-or-ryan-zimmerman-is-only-a-choice-if-they-make-it-one/2012/01/04/gIQAo0KlcP_blog.htm

For the Nationals, Prince Fielder or Ryan Zimmerman is only a choice if they make it one

The Nationals, if they?re inclined, do not have to choose between Ryan Zimmerman and Prince Fielder. They have the means to sign the face of their franchise to a contract extension and to land the game-changing free agent slugger.

But for the Nationals to acquire Fielder and extend Zimmerman, it would require a fundamental change in how the team?s ownership operates.

Since the Lerner family purchased the team from Major League Baseball in 2006, the perception has been that ownership has run the team more as a bottom-line business than as a competitive outlet.

As one baseball insider put it, when asked about the possibility of the team extending big offers to both Fielder and Zimmerman, ?That?s not who Ted Lerner is.? Or, at least, that?s not how he has acted since taking over the Nationals.

I get that but the Nationals have never been in the situation they are now in with the talent they have at the MLB level and a legit shot at the postseason.

They opened up the check book for Werth. A mistake, but they showed they were willing to spend top dollar to bring in FA's.

Whether they can sign Fielder and extend Zimmerman is another issue.

I must have missed where the Nats were on the verge of signing Fielder. However, their payroll is ~$20 mm lower than the Orioles,, and they have spent about $150 mm less than the Orioles over the last 5 years, so they arguably have more room to do it.

How is adding payroll in giant chunks going to help a team that has no player development system, crappy scouts, crappy analysts, and no help on the farm above A ball? The Werth deal is an obvious point of evidence in the case against a mediocre team spending big just to get a pretty good player on board. Can you imagine the situation the O's would be in if they had no farm, a 69-win major league team, Angelos' $90M payroll cap, AND they were paying $17M a year through age 37 for a .718 OPS guy?

You mean like flushing out the scouting organization, reassigning the Stockstills, bringing in Peterson and others to fix pitching development, and basically taking a bunch of initial steps to fix a broken organization?

Or do you just mean flashy, expensive, potentially destructive in a Jayson Werth way, short term stuff that'll get the O's up in the mid-70s in wins and you can brag to your Yankee and Red Sox fan friends about at the bar?

How is adding payroll in giant chunks going to help a team that has no player development system, crappy scouts, crappy analysts, and no help on the farm above A ball? The Werth deal is an obvious point of evidence in the case against a mediocre team spending big just to get a pretty good player on board. Can you imagine the situation the O's would be in if they had no farm, a 69-win major league team, Angelos' $90M payroll cap, AND they were paying $17M a year through age 37 for a .718 OPS guy?

You mean like flushing out the scouting organization, reassigning the Stockstills, bringing in Peterson and others to fix pitching development, and basically taking a bunch of initial steps to fix a broken organization?

Or do you just mean flashy, expensive, potentially destructive in a Jayson Werth way, short term stuff that'll get the O's up in the mid-70s in wins and you can brag to your Yankee and Red Sox fan friends about at the bar?

Except you can't even do that, because they'll just laugh at you (and you'll deserve it) :P

While our Nationals insider Mark Zuckerman was on Geico SportsNet Central, I asked him if there’s any truth to Fielder's coming to Washington. He told me as far as he knows, the team’s stance on Fielder has not changed. Fielder will not be in D.C. unless he comes cheap, and considering Scott Boras is his agent, we can forget that happening.

A recent article basically says that the Nationals really arent a player on Fielder.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/nationals-talk/post/Fielder-to-DC-Julie-gets-the-scoop?blockID=625702&feedID=6358

I'd assume someone is going to be in on Fielder for less than the above definition.

A recent article basically says that the Nationals really arent a player on Fielder.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/nationals-talk/post/Fielder-to-DC-Julie-gets-the-scoop?blockID=625702&feedID=6358

I'd assume someone is going to be in on Fielder for less than the above definition.

Let's see. DC is Out. Seattle is Out. Texas is waiting. Where else is the big fella gonna get his cashly due?

Archived