(Update) Orioles reach agreement w/ Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen

Greg

While I don't advocate signing Jackson, I wouldn't be 100% opposed if you were able to get him at the lower end of your range 3/30 or even 3/33, but no way I want a 4th year.

That said, I like the depth we have in our rotation:

1. Jeremy Guthrie (solid middle of the rotation arm)

2. Zach Britton (good potential to be #2/3 type arm)

3. Jake Arrieta (solid back of the rotation option with good upside)

4. Tsuyoshi Wada (potential back of the rotation arm, swing man)

5. Tommy Hunter (viable back of the rotation arm, swingman)

6. Dana Eveland (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

7. Brian Matusz (start at AAA, great upside)

8. Chris Tillman (start at AAA, could still be servicable)

9. Brad Bergesen (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

10. Alfredo Simon (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

11. Wei-Yin Chen (potential middle of the rotation option)

That is 11 guys for 5 spots. That's good depth, and some will spill over the bullpen with Jim Johnson (another starting option), Pedro Strop, Troy Patton, Darren O'Day, Zach Phillips, Kevin Gregg (ugh), Jason Berken and others.

The only problem I have with our arms is that nobody looks to be a guy I want heading my rotation.

I'm fine with Guthrie in the #2 slot, Britton in the #3 spot, Chen in the #4, and some combination of the rest of the guys in the #5 spot. It seems we have tons of options for the #3-5 slots, but lack any for the top 2.

Jackson is 28 ...not 35 ... Not much difference between 3 & 4 at this point ...Plus the difference is what it will take to get him. The years he's under contract should be his prime years.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I don't advocate signing Jackson, I wouldn't be 100% opposed if you were able to get him at the lower end of your range 3/30 or even 3/33, but no way I want a 4th year.

That said, I like the depth we have in our rotation:

1. Jeremy Guthrie (solid middle of the rotation arm)

2. Zach Britton (good potential to be #2/3 type arm)

3. Jake Arrieta (solid back of the rotation option with good upside)

4. Tsuyoshi Wada (potential back of the rotation arm, swing man)

5. Tommy Hunter (viable back of the rotation arm, swingman)

6. Dana Eveland (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

7. Brian Matusz (start at AAA, great upside)

8. Chris Tillman (start at AAA, could still be servicable)

9. Brad Bergesen (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

10. Alfredo Simon (bullpen arm, could start in a pinch)

11. Wei-Yin Chen (potential middle of the rotation option)

That is 11 guys for 5 spots. That's good depth, and some will spill over the bullpen with Jim Johnson (another starting option), Pedro Strop, Troy Patton, Darren O'Day, Zach Phillips, Kevin Gregg (ugh), Jason Berken and others.

The only problem I have with our arms is that nobody looks to be a guy I want heading my rotation.

I'm fine with Guthrie in the #2 slot, Britton in the #3 spot, Chen in the #4, and some combination of the rest of the guys in the #5 spot. It seems we have tons of options for the #3-5 slots, but lack any for the top 2.

We need to fix thatnext year. Matt Cain, Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Anibal Sanchez, Brandon McCarthy, http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/deep-positions-for-the-2013-free-agent-class.html

The one thing that I like in this signing is that it gives us two Asian players on the 25 man roster. They can help each other in the transition both on the field and off.

The interesting thing though is that one is Japanese, and one is Taiwanese - they may not be able to communicate any better.

And is it weird that I want Koji back just, well, just because?

This is nice to see. I like that Matusz isn't a sure bet to make the rotation. Never really was high on Tillman, I don't expect much from him at all.

Me too, I think this biggest problem with the starting pitching has been the lack of depth and competition, totally relying on unproven talent with no recourse isn't very smart.

His strikeout numbers were down last year. They were pretty good the 3 prior seasons. I'm not sure how strikeouts translate from Japan. The talent certainly isn't as good but I bet most of the hitters over there are more contact oriented than many ML hitters.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=chen--001wei

The Japanese hitters do seem very capable of contact hitting when they need to; I'll never forget how they chipped and blooped their way to the World Baseball championship against the more free-swinging S. Korean team. Chen's K numbers were down, but so were his Walks. Nice WHIP and home run stats, too.

Archived