Lincecum Free Agent

OrangeJerseys

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His hip might the key. Albert Belle all over again.

If you're talking strictly about the hip injury to the two respective players, OK.

But in regard to all of the other surrounding circumstances, the two situations are not close to each other.

Belle signed a 5-year, $65 Million contract (the equivalent to about $93 Million today) with the Orioles in 1998. After 2 solid seasons, Belle was forced to retire due to an injury.

The most that the Orioles would give Lincecum would be a 1-year deal for perhaps a few million, plus incentives should he stay healthy enough give the Orioles at least 15 or more starts.

I just don't see it.

He was not all that great for a couple years prior to the surgery on the hip. I would have to see him throw and have some indication that he looks like the surgery actually may have helped.

Last but not least, if I am Lincecum, OPACY is not exactly what I have in mind for a locale to reestablish my career post surgery. Given the choice of OPACY or nothing, well sure. It would be a short list of places though that would be less attractive though.

If you're talking strictly about the hip injury to the two respective players, OK.

But in regard to all of the other surrounding circumstances, the two situations are not close to each other.

Belle signed a 5-year, $65 Million contract (the equivalent to about $93 Million today) with the Orioles in 1998. After 2 solid seasons, Belle was forced to retire due to an injury.

The most that the Orioles would give Lincecum would be a 1-year deal for perhaps a few million, plus incentives should he stay healthy enough give the Orioles at least 15 or more starts.

I'm fully aware of all that but thank you. I'm referring to the idea that Belle could not continue to play. It was degenerative, the Giants say the same about Tim L. Bottom line, an offer may not pass an Orioles Physical, so they might not even try considering the history.

I'm fully aware of all that but thank you. I'm referring to the idea that Belle could not continue to play. It was degenerative, the Giants say the same about Tim L. Bottom line, an offer may not pass an Orioles Physical, so they might not even try considering the history.

Given the Orioles pretty stringent physical standards (not a bad thing) and the fact that OPACY does not really scream come establish your value here, I would guess that Orioles are pretty far down his and his agents wish list. Personally I am glad if that's the case.

Justin Duchscherer is a relevant name. Former Duquette reclamation project, coming off hip problems. that didn't work out.

If you want to sign him as a bullpen arm, fine, but I don't think there's room there. Perhaps you deal an arm out of the pen as part of a package to LAA for Either and/or Wood (or another team) and then add Lincecum to the pen, but I don't think he'll ever be an effective starter again.

His hip might the key. Albert Belle all over again.

Justin Duchscherer is a relevant name. Former Duquette reclamation project, coming off hip problems. that didn't work out.

Duchscherer was signed by MacPhail, not Duquette.

And yes, Duchscherer is relevant in comparison to Lincecum, but so what? Both Duchscherer and Lincecum were/are essentially little or no risk, unlike what occurred with Albert Belle.

The Orioles wasted $700,000 on Duchscherer, and the worst that could happen with Lincecum is that they waste another $1 Million or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Duchscherer was signed by MacPhail, not Duquette.

And yes, Duchscherer is relevant in comparison to Lincecum, but so what? Both Duchscherer and Lincecum were/are essentially little or no risk, unlike what occurred with Albert Belle.

The Orioles wasted $700,000 on Duchscherer, and the worst that could happen with Lincecum is that they waste another $1 Million or so.

#voiceofreason

Those types of guys are scratch off tickets, a little more than league minimum, sure, but with a track record that beckons one to gamble a few bucks on catching the mythical lightning in a bottle.

And if you whiff, DFA, good luck and farewell, who's doing well at Norfolk?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived