HHP: Duquette's Risky Plan

SilentJames

From listening to DD on the radio I would say he is an idiot. And it is pretty obvious why no one has hired him over the past 10 years. I think the moves were made because they didn't cost much money individually.

What is it exactly that makes him sound like an idiot? He may be arrogant and a little self-assured but most people would disagree with you here.

In fact, from his Wikipedia page:

Duquette was twice honored as the Major League Baseball Executive of the Year, first by The Sporting News in 1992 with the Expos, and later by the Boston Baseball Writers Association in 1995 with the Red Sox.

Do you just think he's duped everyone or something? :scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Expectations are for a team above .500 this year as it's been stated several times by Duquette himself. They may not be the majority of the fanbase's expectations, but they certainly are Duquette's and most likely what he's communicated to Peter Angelos as well...

And the guy at the used car lot down the street has expectations that the '88 Corolla on his lot is worth $6000 and is really going to last you 4-5 more years.

I've never seen anyone more willing to take a GM's word at face value than you. You really can't be that naive, can you?

And the guy at the used car lot down the street has expectations that the '88 Corolla on his lot is worth $6000 and is really going to last you 4-5 more years.

I've never seen anyone more willing to take a GM's word at face value than you. You really can't be that naive, can you?

If he believes it and keeps saying it, I'll hold him accountable to it just like I held MacPhail accountable for his statements.

As a GM you have to back up your words with actions.

One of these days one of these GMs will do that. I'm hoping it's Duquette.

He spent 24 M this off season so far. Since you feel you are a superior baseball intellect, why not show us how you would improve the team spending 24 M. You can be sure the flat payroll was not his idea.

Well I would have traded Reynolds so that would have given me 31 million. How about A Ramirez and E Jackson. And I would still have money left over for Chen. There you go. Or my first choice would be to sign fielder. At 23 mill a season we could have had him. They should have stepped up before Detroit had injury problems and got the deal done.

What is it exactly that makes him sound like an idiot? He may be arrogant and a little self-assured but most people would disagree with you here.

In fact, from his Wikipedia page:

Do you just think he's duped everyone or something? :scratchchinhmm:

By the "Boston Baseball writers association"????? Really you think that is impressive as the Red Sox GM he gets an award from the Boston press. And that was 16 years ago. the other one was in 1992.

Why do you think he wasn't hired for any position in professional baseball for 10 years? It isn't a mystery to me. I can't say because evidently you aren't allowed to say what you think about Orioles management on here. I guess until they are canned. Which I am sure Dan will be in 3 years. And then all his supporters on here will turn on him.

By the "Boston Baseball writers association"????? Really you think that is impressive as the Red Sox GM he gets an award from the Boston press. And that was 16 years ago. the other one was in 1992.

Why do you think he wasn't hired for any position in professional baseball for 10 years? It isn't a mystery to me. I can't say because evidently you aren't allowed to say what you think about Orioles management on here. I guess until they are canned. Which I am sure Dan will be in 3 years. And then all his supporters on here will turn on him.

Instead of getting upset, answer the question. I know I would like to know why you believe the man to be an idiot. What was it he said? You say it is no mystery to you but you reasoning is a mystery to me. I am not wanting or trying to be a smart butt just interested in your point of view.

You obviously haven't been around here long if you think you get canned for being critical of the management. That is just ignorant.

DD isn't dumb. He is a very respected baseball guy, they all are it is a very small fraternity in the grand scheme of things.

If he believes it and keeps saying it, I'll hold him accountable to it just like I held MacPhail accountable for his statements.

As a GM you have to back up your words with actions.

One of these days one of these GMs will do that. I'm hoping it's Duquette.

This coming from the poster who swore he was done with the team if they didn't sign Fielder.

Dan Duquette has a plan. It is not the plan that many wanted. Prince Fielder is not part of that plan, neither is trading Adam Jones or Jeremy Guthrie. No, but Duquette has a plan.

And it is very risky.

Looking at the moves Duquette has made this offseason I think it is pretty clear, he still believes in the talent that is on this roster. I made this comment at fanfest: "If Brian Matusz [et al] played at the level we expected them to play, then MacPhail would still be here..."; etc etc. I only now realize how true those words are, because I think the O's GM feels the same way.

Duquette has spent all offseason augmenting a bench, flooding the minor leagues and plumbing the depths of South Korea and even New Zealand for fresh talent. The biggest acquisition so far, the Taiwanese starter Chen Wei-Yin, is seen by many to be little more than a middle of the rotation starter. Duquette obviously believes that the Orioles true elite pitcher is currently on the roster in the form of either Matusz, Zack Britton or Jake Arrieta.

Duquette isn't dumb, he knows what the team's problems were last year, pitching and defense. If you believe, as I think he does, that those three pitchers mentioned above still have the elite-level talent that was advertised in the Winter of 2011 then you don't need ot break the bank on a guy like CJ Wilson. Instead, what did Duquette do? He filled in the support roles around them. He went out and hired Rick Peterson to act as some kind of system-wide pitching guru; he hired Brady Anderson to be his apparent second-in-command bringing all of the pitchers to focus on strength, conditioning and endurance. Duquette has brought in a seemingly endless stream of middling starter/ reliever type pitchers to provide support and hopefully cobble together a stronger bullpen than last year.

The defense was awful last year. What does Duquette do? Brings in defensive players in Matt Antonelli, Jai Miller, Endy Chavez and Taylor Teagarden. On-base percentage was among the lowest in the league? Signs Wilson Betemit in an almost Beane-like move to be a primary DH with a high OBP. The power on this team will be coming from Reynolds, Jones, Matt Weiters and JJ Hardy. Chris Davis and Nolan Reimold both have a lot of power potential and both will get their chances as they will be the likely starters at first base and left field going into the season.

Yeah, its from my blog - not trying to drum up traffic here but I genuinely want to get a sense of how people feel about this.

Let's assume that this is what Duquette is doing, does this theory hold any water? Is Duquette crazy? How long do you think Duquette will wait to see if this plan works? What do you think his next step will be?

DD may believe in the young starters but if that then makes defense a priority, his moves make no sense. You don't improve your D much by adding a good glove backup catcher and 5th outfielder. It's likely that our starting 9 are the same as our 9 in September. That was a poor defensive unit.

Sorry but the theory falls apart.

DD may believe in the young starters but if that then makes defense a priority, his moves make no sense. You don't improve your D much by adding a good glove backup catcher and 5th outfielder. It's likely that our starting 9 are the same as our 9 in September. That was a poor defensive unit.

Sorry but the theory falls apart.

Miller and Chavez are both considered to be very good fielders that can cover any OF position between them. Teagarden is a defensive and offensive upgrade over Tatum which allows Wieters to get more time off from behind the plate. Antonelli is a very solid defender for IF.

The team will live or die by the starters, but for a change they seem to have a supporting staff that can actually contribute. Remember looking at Sunday lineups and thinking there was no chance of winning?

Dan Duquette has a plan. It is not the plan that many wanted. Prince Fielder is not part of that plan, neither is trading Adam Jones or Jeremy Guthrie. No, but Duquette has a plan.

And it is very risky.

Looking at the moves Duquette has made this offseason I think it is pretty clear, he still believes in the talent that is on this roster. I made this comment at fanfest: "If Brian Matusz [et al] played at the level we expected them to play, then MacPhail would still be here..."; etc etc. I only now realize how true those words are, because I think the O's GM feels the same way.

Duquette has spent all offseason augmenting a bench, flooding the minor leagues and plumbing the depths of South Korea and even New Zealand for fresh talent. The biggest acquisition so far, the Taiwanese starter Chen Wei-Yin, is seen by many to be little more than a middle of the rotation starter. Duquette obviously believes that the Orioles true elite pitcher is currently on the roster in the form of either Matusz, Zack Britton or Jake Arrieta.

Duquette isn't dumb, he knows what the team's problems were last year, pitching and defense. If you believe, as I think he does, that those three pitchers mentioned above still have the elite-level talent that was advertised in the Winter of 2011 then you don't need ot break the bank on a guy like CJ Wilson. Instead, what did Duquette do? He filled in the support roles around them. He went out and hired Rick Peterson to act as some kind of system-wide pitching guru; he hired Brady Anderson to be his apparent second-in-command bringing all of the pitchers to focus on strength, conditioning and endurance. Duquette has brought in a seemingly endless stream of middling starter/ reliever type pitchers to provide support and hopefully cobble together a stronger bullpen than last year.

The defense was awful last year. What does Duquette do? Brings in defensive players in Matt Antonelli, Jai Miller, Endy Chavez and Taylor Teagarden. On-base percentage was among the lowest in the league? Signs Wilson Betemit in an almost Beane-like move to be a primary DH with a high OBP. The power on this team will be coming from Reynolds, Jones, Matt Weiters and JJ Hardy. Chris Davis and Nolan Reimold both have a lot of power potential and both will get their chances as they will be the likely starters at first base and left field going into the season.

Yeah, its from my blog - not trying to drum up traffic here but I genuinely want to get a sense of how people feel about this.

Let's assume that this is what Duquette is doing, does this theory hold any water? Is Duquette crazy? How long do you think Duquette will wait to see if this plan works? What do you think his next step will be?

Here's how I see it - Dan Duquette can't lose. Since the Orioles more than likely can't do any worse, in three years at age 57 he'll go on the market for his next job as someone who came in, dealt within the parameters of cheap ownership, corrected a bunch of organizational problems, strove to utilize a modern approach (mining international markets, identifying and addressing weaknesses like OBP, defense, depth, and did it decisively. And if somehow the team shows improvement without major increases in payroll - that to me will be very attractive to prospective employers.

Dan Duquette wanted to get back in the game after a long break. He's back and he has a great opportunity to rebuild his resume here, even without the big free agent signing. He's here because it's a stepping stone to better things.

Furthermore, Orioles ownership can't lose. They're not spending more, as has been the norm, yet as best we can tell happy with their ROI. Angelos obviously views the team as a business first, and I can't recall ever hearing a peep from any other team shareholders.

No, the only ones who lose are the hard core Orioles faithful fans like us here. And we don't matter to the Orioles no matter what is said. The "suits" are happy and getting what they want. The fans, whether they be for the home team or the visitor, show up enough to keep the business in the black.

You obviously haven't been around here long if you think you get canned for being critical of the management. That is just ignorant.

DD isn't dumb. He is a very respected baseball guy, they all are it is a very small fraternity in the grand scheme of things.

That is why he couldn't get a job as much as a part-time scout for ten years. And he wouldn't have one now except everyone in basball turned the Orioles down for GM. Even his own cousin knocks him on the radio.

You think Dan is so smart. He drafted five guys in boston in the first round who never played a single game in the big leagues.

That is why he couldn't get a job as much as a part-time scout for ten years. And he wouldn't have one now except everyone in basball turned the Orioles down for GM. Even his own cousin knocks him on the radio.

You think Dan is so smart. He drafted five guys in boston in the first round who never played a single game in the big leagues.

Dan was building his own programs. Just because he wasn't in an FO doesn't mean he was sitting around doing nothing. People have different passions and different careers all of the time.

As for the draft thing, that happens to a lot of GMs, God knows it has happened to ours.

Miller and Chavez are both considered to be very good fielders that can cover any OF position between them. Teagarden is a defensive and offensive upgrade over Tatum which allows Wieters to get more time off from behind the plate. Antonelli is a very solid defender for IF.

The team will live or die by the starters, but for a change they seem to have a supporting staff that can actually contribute. Remember looking at Sunday lineups and thinking there was no chance of winning?

None of the players you mention will get more than 60 starts unless there are injuries. Antonelli and Miller probably don't even make the MLB roster without injuries to others. If defense was the priority, we wouldn't be preparing to start the season with Reynolds at 3rd, Reimold in left, etc.

Archived