HHP: Duquette's Risky Plan

SilentJames

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it would be a much bigger risk to assume that Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta are busts, and blow the team up. now. I think his plan is to see if they make significant progress this season, especially Matusz. If they do, then we are most likely a .500 team that some FA spending next fall will bring close to contention. If they don't, we have risked postponing the firesale/rebuild by 4-5 months. There are other thing s we need to find out this year. Can Davis be a productive 1B? Can Reynolds bring his 3B defense to an acceptable level? Can Chen and Wada make the transition from NPB to MLB and be at least serviceable? Can Markakis give us his 2011 June 10 - on, numbers for a whole season? Has Jones rached his ceiling? It would be a huge risk, IMO to assume the answers to these questions are no, at this point in time, and proceed from there.

I agree with your perspective here Gordo. It makes sense.

Severe budget constraints could also account for a lot of Duquette's strategy so far.
Really. Does anyone truly think the flat payroll was his idea? Also trading Jones, our current frachise player, at least in PA's mind, would be more difficult than trading BRob a few years ago. PA would demand a haul that no sane team would begin to give up.

He was obviously in on Fielder...was obviously shopping Jones.

Those are 2 examples.

Now, I am not saying he is in the wrong for failing...Obviously we shouldn't have beaten the Fielder deal and at this point, we don't know what happened with Jones but still, he obviously tried, so that means that SJ's theory isn't really correct.

Sure he was...your source has zero credibility.

He wasn't in on Fielder at all and what is your source that he tried to deal Jones? Jackson is the only big move that he has tried to make if we're to believe that he offered a three year deal.

He was only in on Fielder if the price was not outrageous (it was) so I'm not sure how you can say he failed there. If he was actively shopping Jones, and I'm not convinced he was, he was looking for a certain type of take. If that wasn't there, I'm not sure how you can call it a failure.

Duquette's plan all along has been to fix the core of the organization through scouting development and I think he made some significant strides considering he got the job late and not everyone I'm sure he wanted was available. He spent money on the international market and got the top top Asian pitcher (Chen) not named Darvish.

At the end of the day, he feels this team has the ability to win more games than it loses. Honestly, coming off a 69-win season and 14 losing seasons, I'm pretty sure all of us will take that. He wants to build a core and then spend. Once the core is established I think the Orioles will become players in the high end free agency market, but they're not there yet.

Failure as in, he didn't get it accomplished.

Again, not saying its his fault.

To be honest with you, I think this theory is more on Buck than DD. If DD could do whatever he wanted with the ML team, I think a lot more changes would have been made.

To be honest with you, I think this theory is more on Buck than DD. If DD could do whatever he wanted with the ML team, I think a lot more changes would have been made.

Based on what? What other changes would he have made if he could do whatever he wanted? Are you still taking into account whatever restraints he may have from ownership?

Even if Duquette was serious about trading Jones, the offer the Braves had put out for him arguably would have made the team better in 2012.

The Braves never put out an offer, just interest. Duquette said the price was Prado, Jurrjens and two minor league pitchers and the Braves never agreed to that.

Why not? He had been out of the game for 10 years...He takes the job, no doubt about it.

Why go to work somewhere where you can't do what you want to do?

Look at all the changes he was able to make to the front office. Yeah the Stockstills are still around, but Fred Ferreira, not David Stockstill is leading our international scouting.

I think you'll see the blow up you want if this team fails again. Duquette is giving this talent one last shot to prove they belong in the majors.

Why go to work somewhere where you can't do what you want to do?

Look at all the changes he was able to make to the front office. Yeah the Stockstills are still around, but Fred Ferreira, not David Stockstill is leading our international scouting.

I think you'll see the blow up you want if this team fails again. Duquette is giving this talent one last shot to prove they belong in the majors.

Because you have been out of the loop for 10 years and they are allowing you to build the infrastructure and do things that you want in that regard.

This has always seemed to be a shared GM job..with Buck doing a lot of the ML stuff and Duq handling everything else.

Archived