Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

No...and its not likely it ends up going to arbitration anyway.

I don't know why people ar ehung up on that 10M number...They would have likely settled on it and even if not, I would rather have Guthrie at 10M than Lindstron at 3.5M.

It's already been reported that Guthrie accepted an $8.25mm contract to show good faith with his new team.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back when $10MM was real money. :)

Would it surprise you if Pete still held that thought process? It sure as hell wouldn't for me. Besides, back when he made that statement was when we were actually fill the yard. Now that we aren't, I can't see him okaying a pitcher making 8 figures

Not discounting what you are saying, but Garza did file his number above $12M.

All I am saying is that Guthrie filing at an 8 figure salary surely ruffled Pete's feathers. Ultimately, he signed off on the deal, so you have to imagine he didn't want to pay him what he requested, or what he got.

Would it surprise you if Pete still held that thought process? It sure as hell wouldn't for me. Besides, back when he made that statement was when we were actually fill the yard. Now that we aren't, I can't see him okaying a pitcher making 8 figures

I wouldn't be surprised at all. And in fact, anytime I see reputable critiques of various processes by our FO, I think Angelos.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. And in fact, anytime I see reputable critiques of various processes by our FO, I think Angelos.

And to me, this furthers my thought process that while Angelos runs this team, he will never spend enough to make this team competitive again.

All I am saying is that Guthrie filing at an 8 figure salary surely ruffled Pete's feathers. Ultimately, he signed off on the deal, so you have to imagine he didn't want to pay him what he requested, or what he got.

I agree....my Gut reaction to the news this morning was along your thinking. Not attending fanfest, filing a high arbitration amount and other factors probably made JG's arbitration hold-out the last straw. When was the last time a player was traded over SB weekend right before an arbitration hearing?

I think Duquette needs to place and infiltrator here on the Hangout to get the FO version of things articulated in a way that may persuade the masses. SG?

It's time for da' Infiltrator.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_UlhLd76IzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see them problem other than it being an incremental change when everyone wants the big sexy moves. You've traded one guy that needed to be traded sooner or later for two younger guys who could be traded sooner or later. Both have done well away from Coors btw and both are likely to be more valuable than Guthrie combined.

I just listened to Duquette on XM with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden. He said he thinks Hammel essentially replaces Guthrie (he acknowledged that Hammels 2011 season was down, but feels that a return to his 09 and 10 years is what they are counting on (this is my paraphrase)), and he said that Lindstrom throws around 96 and gives Buck a second power arm in the bullpen to complement Johnson.

I think you guys are all missing the point of this trade. If you take a look at Hammel's 3 year splits... During pitches 31-45, opponents are hitting a measly .255 with an OPS of .699.

Even further, the #9 batter over the same 3 year period is hitting .208 against Hammel with an OPS of .510.

If you want a winning ball club, it starts with dominating those 2 statistics.

I think you guys are all missing the point of this trade. If you take a look at Hammel's 3 year splits... During pitches 31-45, opponents are hitting a measly .255 with an OPS of .699.

Even further, the #9 batter over the same 3 year period is hitting .208 against Hammel with an OPS of .510.

If you want a winning ball club, it starts with dominating those 2 statistics.

And how does that compare with Guthrie and the pitchers presently on the club?

Archived