Law's Top 100

Birdfan21

4 Manny Machado

Bats: Right Throws: Right

Position: SS Organization: Baltimore Orioles

Top '11 Level: A (Fredricksburg)

2011 ranking: 26

Machado showed he was much more advanced at the plate than even his biggest fans (myself included) thought, jumping to a full-season club and showing strong plate discipline in his first year in pro ball.

At the plate, Machado has strong, quick wrists and has mostly eliminated the slight bat wrap he had in high school, although he's started to drift a little early, which might cut off a little of his power. He has great hip rotation and really extends his arm well through his finish, so if he keeps his weight back a little better, he'll have above-average to plus power when he matures physically.

The biggest risk for Machado will be that he outgrows shortstop as his body fills out, but that likely would come with a major increase in power that could carry his bat at third base. He has the arm, the hands and the athleticism to handle short, and the faster pro game didn't faze him on defense or offense. At third, he'd still be an All-Star, but as a shortstop, when he reaches his mid-20s, he could be among the best players in the game.

11 Dylan Bundy

Bats: Both Throws: Right

Position: Pitcher Organization: Baltimore Orioles

Top '11 Level: DNP

2011 ranking: IE

How advanced is Bundy, a high school pitcher from Oklahoma taken fourth overall in the 2011 Rule 4 draft? One very senior front-office executive who saw him suggested the only reason Bundy wouldn't make Baltimore's opening day roster this year was his height. Aside from being "just" 6 feet tall, Bundy is about as perfect a high school right-hander as you'll find, boasting plus velocity, plus off-speed stuff, outstanding feel for pitching and a great delivery boosted by a legendary conditioning regimen.

He will sit 93-96 mph and touched 98-99 last spring, with a big, sharp upper-70s curveball and a vicious out-pitch cutter at 86-88 that he uses in lieu of his changeup to left-handed batters. The negatives are few; even his lack of height isn't a major concern, since he gets on top of the ball well and works down in the zone. He was worked extremely hard in high school, including a 180-pitch outing his junior year that earned some criticism on the national level, and no matter how well your arm works, an outing of that length includes some pitching while fatigued, especially for an 18-year-old. I'd like to see Baltimore handle Bundy aggressively, getting him to at least Double-A this year if his performance in the low minors follows our

56 Jonathan Schoop

Bats: Right Throws: Right

Position: Infield Organization: Baltimore Orioles

Top '11 Level: A (Frederick)

2011 ranking: UR

Schoop (pronounced "skope," which rhymes with "Knope 2012") is a future power hitter in search of a permanent position, spending time last year at third base, shortstop and eventually second base after a surprise promotion to high Class A at age 19.

He gets great extension through the zone, controlling the bat head well, with a balanced, rotational swing that should produce power as he matures. He's a below-average runner who was signed as a shortstop but is likely to outgrow the position; he has the arm for third base and the bat profiles there, so the question is whether the Orioles want to push him to second base for more upside while risking injury. I'd leave him at third and let him focus on hitting, which he does quite well.

An interesting quirk in his stats after the promotion to high-A: He went homerless and hit just .218/.290/.259 in his first 38 games there, but hit .322/.368/.487 with five homers afterwards. That's a sign he knows how to make adjustments.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How advanced is Bundy, a high school pitcher from Oklahoma taken fourth overall in the 2011 Rule 4 draft? One very senior front-office executive who saw him suggested the only reason Bundy wouldn't make Baltimore's opening day roster this year was his height.

That seems like a nonsensical comment. Are we expecting Bundy to get taller?

Also, what do "IE" and "UR" mean (2011 ranking)? I'm guessing "UR" means "unranked."

Am I the only one who didn't know about Bundy throwing 180 pitches in a single game? I'm sure it happens but it's absolutely criminal to put a kid at severe risk like that and jeopardize his dream and a paycheck that could set him up for life.

Am I the only one who didn't know about Bundy throwing 180 pitches in a single game? I'm sure it happens but it's absolutely criminal to put a kid at severe risk like that and jeopardize his dream and a paycheck that could set him up for life.

Prior workload was a concern for many. Definitely dropped him down my pref list.

I agree that's crazy. It happened in his junior year, so presumably that particular game should not affect anything that happens now. However, if his regular workload was too high, there could be issues down the road.

Ok, thanks guys.

BTW, this proves that Law hates the Orioles.

MLB.com left Schoop off the list, that's what you are thinking of. I will bet BA (and Goldstein of BP) has Schoop in the top 100, but maybe not as high as 56. Law clearly likes him a lot.

To be exact, it was actually 181 pitches - and he threw 112 pitches in a start 3 days earlier, so make that a total of 293 pitches within 4 days.

Pitchers used to regularly throw 350+ IP in a season with 40+ CG. Strength and conditioning is the key to keeping pitchers healthy, babying arms is misguided and possibly even dangerous.

Bundy has fluid, repeatable mechanics and he rarely throws at max effort. His workout regime is tailored to strengthening the specific muscles stressed in pitching. He completed his entire high school career without a single major injury. Bundy will single-handedly refute all of the false assumptions about pitching injuries which have ruined so many careers.

The baseball world has much to learn from young Mr. Bundy. :)

Archived