Mike Bordick?

Going Underground

Thorne has really grown on me (a sentence I never thought I'd write,either:)) Listening to Mel Proctor on the 2131 game last night gave me a greater appreciation of Gary. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I never liked Proctor. Too "Brent Musberger" for my taste.

The only Thorne needs to stay away from is calling pitches. He's pretty terrible at it. Nothing worse then when a guy throws a straight pitch at 90 MPH and is says, "A nice slider in for a strike."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Palmer has more baseball knowledge in the tip of his crooked nose than you will ever have. And a vast majority of viewers enjoy hearing him "babble" his knowledge and expertise. If it bothers you, turn the volume down and enjoy just watching the game. Maybe add a background tape of crowd noise and it would be just like being at Camden Yards.

As for Bordick....give him some time to develop.....and add some inflection in his voice.

I can not be in anymore agreeance :)

The only thing that Buck Martinez did was really make me miss Mike Flanagan....and before him, John Lowenstein.

I can't believe anyone has fond memories of Buck Martinez. The voice/hair combination was just too much.

Pretty funny moment last night during Nick's last at bat. Bordick was raving about Nick's strike zone judgment and was in mid-sentence just as Nick took a called strike three and Bordick just kind of trailed off and didn't finish his sentence or comment on the pitch. Pitch f/x shows the pitch was well off the plate, but frankly, I thought it was too close to take considering the way the strike zone has been called lately. (See the pitch labeled "6" to the left of the strike zone.)

numlocation.php-pitchSel=445163&game=gid_2012_04_24_tormlb_balmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

I loved Bordick as a player. But he's almost unlistenable in the booth, IMO. Just absolutely boring. Very few real insights, monotone voice. And here's the terrible part. If he doesn't have any insights to offer now, he never will. I mean, that's just his level of thinking. I suspect you can teach delivery, but you cannot teach insightfulness.

He and Hunter remind me of each other in that they both deliver very surface analysis - just with opposite styles.

That said, I will root for Bordick to get better, if possible. He's seems like a really nice guy, and... yeah. That's about it.

Except this: Palmer rules. Accept it.

I love him...he just mistook Mark Reynolds for Adam Jones...naturally, because they look like twin brothers right...ha!

Actually he was referring to Adam Jones's hard slide into second earlier in the game, and saying it might've affected Escobar on the most recent DP.

Actually he was referring to Adam Jones's hard slide into second earlier in the game, and saying it might've affected Escobar on the most recent DP.

Paul, I honestly did not catch that inning, but at the time of the comment, it seemed quite funny to me...I honestly like him on the mic. It's different than Palmer, but it's been good I think honestly considering.

Totally agree with you, Tony. Thorne's not good at identifying pitch type and I think he's even worse on pitch location, which is kind of a curious issue. He must not look at the monitor. That said, I like him.

Agreed. Thorne has a great voice for sports...he even good at pro bowling...however last week, during a telecast he said one of the bowlers "threw a sharp slider..." I was a bit confused. ;-)

Archived