Adam Jones - For Real or Overrated?

Rell

These numbers fit nicely with Buck's emotional AB theory.

From limited observation, I tend to agree with Buck's emotional AB theory. Adam really seems to press in critical situations and the selectivity he shows in normal ABs seems to go out the window. He becomes much more aggressive, overly agressive, and good pitchers get him to swing at their pitches.

He has improved so much in many regards, I expect he will soon learn to control his emotions in these situations. Especially with Buck quietly working him on this.

Tremendous talent that is blossoming more each year. Extending him is the right call.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From limited observation, I tend to agree with Buck's emotional AB theory. Adam really seems to press in critical situations and the selectivity he shows in normal ABs seems to go out the window. He becomes much more aggressive, overly agressive, and good pitchers get him to swing at their pitches.

He has improved so much in many regards, I expect he will soon learn to control his emotions in these situations. Especially with Buck quietly working him on this.

And I think Jones is very aware of his own weaknesses.

Jones is 26, and has continued to mature and get better every year. IMO is on the brink of becoming a super star. Adam is exactly the kind of player you keep and build around, and in the last 12-14 years, the Orioles have had very few such players. Matt Wieters is another one that should be locked up long term in the next year or two.

Jones is 26, and has continued to mature and get better every year. IMO is on the brink of becoming a super star. Adam is exactly the kind of player you keep and build around, and in the last 12-14 years, the Orioles have had very few such players. Matt Wieters is another one that should be locked up long term in the next year or two.

With this organization, at this time, with this talent level, I think this is the approach.

At some point, we have to grow talent and then pay them to stay. Hopefully, there's enough of them that come of age at the right time to create a great team.

I agree with this. Putting all the stats aside, the guy wants to be an Oriole. He likes the city and the team. Did anyone catch him and Andino running around NYC the other putting Oriole Birds stickers everywhere? He's still young enough and talented enough to improve. I am officially and AJ fan!

I am against trading him. Last year I liked the idea, but now I think we should continue to build around him. I feel he has really turnt into a leader on our team, along with Matt. Unless we could get some top prospects, a SP, and get rid of Gregg as part of the deal, I would be against it.

Loathe as I am to admit it, Gordo is right here. I think Jones is better than his UZR, but Bourjos is clearly better as a defender. And manager polls aren't value-less, but they're problematized by their very design.

I don't understand -- could you please expand this thought?

Hah, sorry. Why would a polling of managers be problematized by their very design?

Because it's a (i) tiny sample of views, (ii) from a skewed perspective (the dugout), (iii) based on individual small samples (games v. opponent), of (iv) problematic eyewitness accounts (which are decontextualized and likely prone to bias).

Because it's a (i) tiny sample of views, (ii) from a skewed perspective (the dugout), (iii) based on individual small samples (games v. opponent), of (iv) problematic eyewitness accounts (which are decontextualized and likely prone to bias).

Why wouldn't we be operating under the assumption that, with the big binder/iPad full of advance scouting reports and splits that managers receive, they are given the fielding stats publicly available to us (as well as any additional proprietary work that the organizations are doing)?

I understand why manager polls are flawed for, say, Baseball America's Minor League Top 20 Prospect lists, but MLB managers get an awful lot of info on all of their opponents, and they get it updated throughout the year. I'd think they are generally pretty well informed.

Why wouldn't we be operating under the assumption that, with the big binder/iPad full of advance scouting reports and splits that managers receive, they are given the fielding stats publicly available to us (as well as any additional proprietary work that the organizations are doing)?

I understand why manager polls are flawed for, say, Baseball America's Minor League Top 20 Prospect lists, but MLB managers get an awful lot of info on all of their opponents, and they get it updated throughout the year. I'd think they are generally pretty well informed.

Then why do they foul up the Gold Glove voting? (And how is it different?)

This poll specified "defensive outfielder" and had other categories for best offensive players. Although the gold glove is supposed to be defensive, it has a long history of basically being the best all-rounder at that position, and managers may take that into account. IMO the gold gloves actually been getting a little better in recent years in terms of reflecting true defensive play.

Well, it's clearly different. The gold glove winners don't match the manager poll quoted in the BA piece. I guess we can make make guesses as to how it's different, but I'm not sure that would get us anywhere.

I agree that subjective is generally not preferable to objective. I also think that the fielding metrics we have to measure outfield defense is potentially quite flawed. If not in the manner in which it compares defensive abilities among players, than certainly in how it assigns "win shares" to players.

Archived