vs. RED SOX 5/04

OFFNY

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Unnecessarily Socratic response, FRobby. There is no position more important to the Orioles right now than backup catcher as crazy as that sounds.  The incumbent is hurting the team with his bat.  Basallo will some day soon create a great split responsibility with Adley and another big bat at least vs RHP. 2B?  All eggs are in the Holliday basket, but if he can't stay healthy this year and Mateo falls off as in the past, 2 great backup options exist 1) Norby or 2) Westburg moves back to 2B and Mayo is promoted to play 3B. CF? Of all CFs in the game I'd trade him for Judge (if I could be sure the contract would not screw up the chance to sign Gunnar) and I'd trade him even up for Jackson Merrill who is 21, from Baltimore area, and hitting well for the Padres, but is another LHB.  I wouldn't trade him for Duran, for example, who is 2nd in WAR among CFs at 1.4, has good OPS, but is approaching age 28 despite 4 years of team control.  No way I trade him for Robert as I have detailed elsewhere.  I think the Orioles are better off for now, using some combination of Cowser, Mullins, and Hays in CF rather than trading Basallo for anyone else not named above that comes with a significant price tag. Corner OF spots, DH, 1B are jammed now with players/prospects who can hit (Cowser, Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Santander, O'Hearn, Stowers).  No additions needed. 3B?  Westburg is having a great year and Mayo is ready and should be promoted which puts pressure either on 3B to move Westy to 2nd or the already jammed corner OF/1B/DH group, but he is a much-needed RHB.
    • I think you have to add Grayson to this list. 
    • Scherzer doesn’t carry injury risk?  Surely you haven’t followed his last couple of seasons very closely.
    • The minute Boras, or any agent, successfully does an end-around of any Orioles GM the the minute I start looking for a more rewarding obsession.
    • I generally thought Boras was off his rails earlier in my life, but as the sport's finances have become more transparent I think it's become clear that he has some valid points and there seems to be a concerted effort by MLB ownership groups to make sure his clients don't get paid to reduce his influence in the sport.  MLB player salaries as a percentage of publicly known revenue has been shrinking for a while, and are quite a bit less than the NFL right now.  This is something that could have gotten fixed in the last CBA but the players unwilling to strike, and they're also toeing a hard line against a salary cap (even though the luxury tax has effectively capped salaries for the richest teams) and simultaneously aren't advocating for a salary floor (which allows teams like the A's and 2019-2021 Orioles to field major league teams for peanuts.)  I agree with the take that Shohei's deal was a pretty stark underpay given the amount of money deferred.  It's possible that the players don't really care about getting richer at the top end, so they're just content taking below-market deals like this one.   Based on what we know about MLB teams, pretty much every team can support a payroll in the 120 million range strictly on revenue sharing money and national TV deals, so the fact that 11 teams are south of that number would be concerning if I were a sports agent looking to maximize my client's paychecks.
    • Mayo made his 11th error of the season tonight.   Sorry, On the Verge didn’t tweet a highlight so I can’t embed it here.   
  • Popular Contributors