vs. RED SOX 5/22

OFFNY

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theyre going to go back to Matusz again in the 7th..he's been great..but he doesnt have much of a margin for mistake. Even if he doesnt get the win, this

guy showed he has the stuff and guile to win big ball games. Tonight was a big up for him..win or lose.

My guess is Matusz will face the lefty Gonzalez to start the 7th, then the O's will bring in a righty reliever with Youkilis up.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Agreed, but it just seems a little more pronounced with Jorge.
    • That can be said about most hitters in the major leagues. 
    • If you execute your slider, you are in good shape against Mateo. If you hang your slider, RIP.
    • Yes - see Tony’s top 75 prospect ratings for last offseason. Miguel was ranked 35th. Strong defensive catcher with plus contact skills. Power was absent last year but emerged yesterday. I’d expect he’ll be top 15 by end of year. 
    • Baseball will change, there's almost no doubt about that. But it's very unlikely to change back to the ways of 50 or 100 years ago because there's no competitive advantage to do so. It will probably change in ways that we don't fully expect, and that haven't happened before. Unless the powers-that-be change the rules and conditions, which they've always been very reluctant to do, the strategies of today are the strategies of today because they win a lot more games than the strategies of 1970. I think it's more likely that we see individual pitchers pitch even less in each outing (although possibly more frequently) than it is we go back to complete games. Even if the rules are changed, say you can only have nine pitchers on the roster like was common 50 years ago, today's GMs and managers would just use each pitcher for three innings every three games instead of a four-man rotation with lots of complete games.
    • I try to not get too caught up in Mateo but I have to be honest. Watching him in person is just a treat. Love that he is playing so well and continue to be happy he is still an Oriole. 
    • Isn't is just weird that it took 100+ years to figure that out? Hey, that guy hits a bunch of balls right through the box, maybe we should have the second baseman move over that direction a little? Nah, if we do it so will everybody, and we like .350 hitters even when they're on the other team. It would be like a football game where there's a formation where a WR keeps getting completely open downfield and busting 40 yard plays, and it takes 35 years for defenses to adjust. "It's just how it is! If we cover that guy, then the running back might average five yards a carry!"
  • Popular Contributors