For what it's worth......

Belkast

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some interesting notes from St. Louis...

Link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9E04A758BD1CF235862573AC0018F0A8?OpenDocument

...maybe the Cardinals are a darkhorse for Bedard? Although I don't know that they have enough.

Also, it looks like Arizona is offering 5 for 1 in a potential deal for Haren. Seems to me they are a good alternative for Bedard, or at least as a 'comp' for level of talent in return...

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/12092007/sports/yankees/athletics_haren_on_yanks_radar_460547.htm

I'm kinda surprised this hasn't been commented on...

20 years old at AA hitting 29 ding dongs and putting up a .932 OPS. I know the rest of their system isn't overwhelming, but getting Rasmus back makes it worth considering.

I wouldn't put it up there with the Dodgers or Seattle's........... but I still would have to consider an offer of :

Rasmus

Duncan

Perez

If the Cards are going to part with Rasmus, it would be interesting what the remainder of the package would. The first three prospects look pretty competitive with the young catcher in AA. We'd have to flip the catching prospect, but he looks like a good one.

If Kershaw, Rasmus and Jones are being made available by their teams, I'd tell the Reds to go pound sand and stop calling until Bruce is part of the deal. I don't know how Krivsky considers his efforts aggressive if a division rival offers up a player like Rasmus, but Bruce is off-limits.

For those who have been crying for a deal just to get something done, this is Exhibit A about having some patience. Some teams might be reconsidering the prospects being offered.

If the Cards are going to part with Rasmus, it would be interesting what the remainder of the package would. The first three prospects look pretty competitive with the young catcher in AA. We'd have to flip the catching prospect, but he looks like a good one.

If Kershaw, Rasmus and Jones are being made available by their teams, I'd tell the Reds to go pound sand and stop calling until Bruce is part of the deal. I don't know how Krivsky considers his efforts aggressive if a division rival offers up a player like Rasmus, but Bruce is off-limits.

For those who have been crying for a deal just to get something done, this is Exhibit A about having some patience. Some teams might be reconsidering the prospects being offered.

Good point.

And just to add on to your last thought, we really don't know for certain what's being bandied about, here. When the media is speculating what's being offered back to us, it sends us into orbit... but none of this can be confirmed at this point. One would assume we're going to ask for the moon. and meet somewhere in the middle. IMO, the deals we talk about on here are "the moon."

The most important thing for us at this point is to hear that there are 8-10 teams interested in putting a package together for Bedard, IMO.

Even with Rasmus and without Bruce, the Reds can kill any offer from the Cards.

If the Dodgers are willing to trade Kemp and 2-3 other top guys, that is when the Reds may have to trade Bruce.

I don't know her but I like your wife already. :D

She's worth it but when she went to Charlotte on a business trip and brought home a duke shirt for our 2 yo at the time it was the closest we came to a divorce. ;) The shirt disappeared shortly after...hmmm?

Atleast she could handle the rock back in the day and doesn't just like them for the uniform.

Three years later my five yo knows not to root for Duke, NYY, RSox, Pittsburgh and the Skins. The kid's an NFL junkie. We're working on baseball. He knows how to read the count.

Even with Rasmus and without Bruce, the Reds can kill any offer from the Cards.

If the Dodgers are willing to trade Kemp and 2-3 other top guys, that is when the Reds may have to trade Bruce.

I agree.

Although, if Rasmus is on the table, that alone puts STL in the game.

I also like Barton. I know there are knee concerns, and we could of had him at Rule 5 but an OF of Barton / Rasmus / Markakis is pretty high on potential.

Jaime Garcia also looks good. Not a whole lot more unless I am missing something.

Safest because he is closest to his ceiling. Unfortunately the ceiling is not all that high.

I certainly am not saying Ethier is Nick Markakis but you are cutting him short here:

Markakis Career:

1128 AB's 68 2B's 39 HR's 174 RBI .296 Avg .357 OBP .469 Slg%= .826 OPS

Ethier Career:

843 AB's 52 2b's 24 HR's 119 RBI .295 Avg .357 OBP .464 Slg%= .821 OPS

I certainly am not saying Ethier is Nick Markakis but you are cutting him short here:

Markakis Career:

1128 AB's 68 2B's 39 HR's 174 RBI .296 Avg .357 OBP .469 Slg%= .826 OPS

Ethier Career:

843 AB's 52 2b's 24 HR's 119 RBI .295 Avg .357 OBP .464 Slg%= .821 OPS

Yeah people on here definately don't give Ethier enough credit.

The main difference between them is Markakis has 300 more ML AB's and he is 2 years younger.

The one stat that concerns me about Ethier is 24 HR in over 800 AB's. I'm not sure he has enough power for a corner OF.

The one stat that concerns me about Ethier is 24 HR in over 800 AB's. I'm not sure he has enough power for a corner OF.

Don't know a thing about him except what you said. Based on that, what he's lacking in dingers, he's seems to making up for in doubles.

Although, if Rasmus is on the table, that alone puts STL in the game.

He was still in AA last year. I would think that the Orioles would rather get guys they can comfortably play in the major leagues every day without worrying that they're rushing somebody.

Kershaw can't play up here yet, but I wouldn't mind having him.:D

Agree that, if we can't get much for Tejada, hang onto him and tell him to play like hades.That w/drive up his value.

Color me unimpressed on Andre Ethier. He's 26 this year, played left, and managed all of 13 homers, 64 RBI and playing over 150 games. when Markakis is 26, he'll be a steady 30-100 man, and possibly a consistent .300 hitter, too. Ethier's slugging % was .452, and that's nothing to write home about. There were 78 outfielders who did it better.

Archived