For what it's worth......

Belkast

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also said we are in very "deep conversations" with the Cubs about Roberts and feels like that deal will eventually get done as well.

I was told to relay this message from my wife:

Tell them I'm not going to watch the Orioles this year. Seriously.

She's somewhat less understanding than most here about the long-term goals of the franchise, and a bit more concerned that her favorite player will be gone. We're not exactly eye-to-eye on all sports matters. :)

My preference has always been to deal with the Dodgers.

It is my preference as well....as long as they put the right players out there...Certain guys need to be added if others are included in the deal.

In other words, if we get Ethier instead of Kemp, another player must be added to the deal.

I would take Votto, Bailey and Hamilton over Kershaw, LaRoche and Ethier I think.

But, it is basically an even deal.....I take the Reds because the Reds guys have less questions around them.

It is my preference as well....as long as they put the right players out there...Certain guys need to be added if others are included in the deal.

In other words, if we get Ethier instead of Kemp, another player must be added to the deal.

I would take Votto, Bailey and Hamilton over Kershaw, LaRoche and Ethier I think.

But, it is basically an even deal.....I take the Reds because the Reds guys have less questions around them.

Prefer Cueto or Hamilton in this deal (Votto, Bailey, and ?)

21 SP or 26 OF?

I really like Cueto, but think we need the positional player if Bailey is coming. Up and down with Hamilton, seems like it is only a matter of time before he falls off the bus again.

Surprised to see Cueto rated higher than Bailey.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/12/7/16485/6608

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2008.

By John Sickels

Posted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 03:48:05 PM CDT

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2008

All grades are EXTREMELY PRELIMINARY and subject to change.

1. Jay Bruce, OF, Grade A (I'm not worried about the strikeouts given his age and performance)

2. Johnny Cueto, RHP, Grade A-

3. Joey Votto, 1B, Grade A-

4. Homer Bailey, RHP, Grade B+

5. Todd Frazier, SS-3B, Grade B+

6. Matthew Maloney, LHP, Grade B (I have always liked him, has component marks of a power pitcher not a finesse guy even though he doesn't throw hard)

7. Devin Mesoraco, C, Grade B

8. Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-

9. Neftali Soto, SS-3B, Grade B-

10. Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B- (a long way off but a good intuitive feeling)

11. Daniel Dorn, OF, Grade B- (major sleeper)

12. Jared Burton, RHP, Grade C+

13. Tyler Pelland, LHP, Grade C+

14. Pedro Viola, LHP, Grade C+ (sleeper!)

15. Travis Wood, LHP, Grade C+ (health??)

16. Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade C+

17. Scott Carroll, RHP, Grade C+

18. Chris Valaika, INF, Grade C+

19. Adam Rosales, 1B, Grade C+

20. Sean Watson, RHP, Grade C+

21. Brandon Waring, 3B, Grade C+ (the strikeouts scare me)

Prefer Cueto or Hamilton in this deal (Votto, Bailey, and ?)

21 SP or 26 OF?

I really like Cueto, but think we need the positional player if Bailey is coming. Up and down with Hamilton, seems like it is only a matter of time before he falls off the bus again.

Surprised to see Cueto rated higher than Bailey.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/12/7/16485/6608

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2008.

By John Sickels

Posted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 03:48:05 PM CDT

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2008

All grades are EXTREMELY PRELIMINARY and subject to change.

1. Jay Bruce, OF, Grade A (I'm not worried about the strikeouts given his age and performance)

2. Johnny Cueto, RHP, Grade A-

3. Joey Votto, 1B, Grade A-

4. Homer Bailey, RHP, Grade B+

5. Todd Frazier, SS-3B, Grade B+

6. Matthew Maloney, LHP, Grade B (I have always liked him, has component marks of a power pitcher not a finesse guy even though he doesn't throw hard)

7. Devin Mesoraco, C, Grade B

8. Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-

9. Neftali Soto, SS-3B, Grade B-

10. Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B- (a long way off but a good intuitive feeling)

11. Daniel Dorn, OF, Grade B- (major sleeper)

12. Jared Burton, RHP, Grade C+

13. Tyler Pelland, LHP, Grade C+

14. Pedro Viola, LHP, Grade C+ (sleeper!)

15. Travis Wood, LHP, Grade C+ (health??)

16. Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade C+

17. Scott Carroll, RHP, Grade C+

18. Chris Valaika, INF, Grade C+

19. Adam Rosales, 1B, Grade C+

20. Sean Watson, RHP, Grade C+

21. Brandon Waring, 3B, Grade C+ (the strikeouts scare me)

I prefer the position guy as well but in this case, I probably take Cueto over Hamilton.

My preference is Cueto(less value than Bailey), Votto, Bruce and Encarnacion.

Those are the 4 guys I want to get back if at all possible.

Several questions come to mind about that deal:

1) What else has to go with Bedard to get it done? I don't think the Reds would hesitate to trade the rest of the package but what about Bruce?

2) How bad do the Reds want Bedard and how stupid is Krivsky willing to be?

3) Do the Reds think they could contend with Bedard?

If all of those things can be answered favorably towards the Orioles, then we have a chance at that package IMO.

I would offer the Reds Bedard, Bradford and Millar for those 4...I would also offer to take back Stanton and his contract after his subpar year this past year.

Bradford becomes another good arm for them and Millar platoons with Hatteberg with Votto being gone. Bradford's salary is negated by us taking Stanton.

Some interesting notes from St. Louis...

Club sources indicated by week's end that Rasmus could lose his "untouchable" label in a potential deal for Baltimore Orioles starting pitcher Erik Bedard. Such a deal would have to include at least another prominent Cardinals prospect such as Bryan Anderson or Chris Perez.

Link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9E04A758BD1CF235862573AC0018F0A8?OpenDocument

...maybe the Cardinals are a darkhorse for Bedard? Although I don't know that they have enough.

Also, it looks like Arizona is offering 5 for 1 in a potential deal for Haren. Seems to me they are a good alternative for Bedard, or at least as a 'comp' for level of talent in return...

With Arizona willing to part with up to five talented prospects, the Yankees probably would have to add Kennedy to Hughes and at least another piece. Because the Yankees balked at including Kennedy in the Santana talks, they aren't likely to deal him to the A's, who supposedly aren't interested in Cabrera.

The Diamondbacks' package starts with pitchers Brett Anderson and Max Scherzer and includes outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, who is the only one of the three to play at Triple-A so far. Because Scherzer, Arizona's first-round pick in 2006, didn't sign until May 31 of this year, he can't be traded until May 15.

If the deal is made with a player to be named, Scherzer can be included on a list of players the A's can select from.

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/12092007/sports/yankees/athletics_haren_on_yanks_radar_460547.htm

Less questions? Hamilton is one relapse away from being out of baseball altogether. Ethier is probably the safest guy in the two packages.

Safest because he is closest to his ceiling. Unfortunately the ceiling is not all that high.

She's somewhat less understanding than most here about the long-term goals of the franchise, and a bit more concerned that her favorite player will be gone. We're not exactly eye-to-eye on all sports matters. :)

Try having a wife that's a Duke Basketball fan. We don't talk BB or politics for the sake of our marriage.

Uh oh, trouble in Drungo land!

The Cardinal's wouldn't be able to give us a good enough deal, I just don't see them with the pieces to add to Rasmus. Ideally I would want to trade with the Dodgers because more holes could be filled if we get a Laroche, Hu, Kemp, and Elbert/McDonald package. The M's are interesting, especially if we add both Balentien and Jones. Jones could possibly move to SS if we are able to get Pie, and our OF would be the best young OF in the MLB.

Archived