Some New Information About The Draft

I've been checking other teams sites the last few days and hours and it appears the top 3 teams are leaning towards pitching but still undecided. If not pitching Minnesota might take Correa and Seattle possibly Zunino which has been rumored for quite awhile. I still think we will have Buxton or Correa available to choose from on June 4th and will take whichever one is available. Minnesota and Houston have both worked out Correa recently. Houston could pull a major surprise and take Correa or Zunino. Nothing would surprise me with this draft. It seems eveybody likes the top six of Appel, Correa, Buxton, Gausman and Zunino with Zimmer ranked right at the top by some teams. One mlb.com writer thinks he should be the #1 pick. I just read that Houston also likes Zunino and he could go #1 to Houston (huge surprise if it happens) or #3 to Seattle.

One pick that could surprise;

Albert Almora - Of the general managers with top-10 picks in next month's First-Year Player Draft, Mater Academy coach Eddie Gorriz estimates that seven of them (including the Orioles) have come to his Miami-area school to watch Albert Almora. As a senior, he hit .606 with six homers and 35 RBIs for an 18-5 team. Making those numbers even more impressive was the pitching he faced from teams who were determined not to let Almora beat them. "Out of the 12 [or so] pitches he got a game, there were probably eight breaking balls, a fastball up at his head and a fastball way outside," Gorriz said. "He got very little to hit. "I can't wait to see what happens at the next level, where teams will challenge him with fastballs." Almora has a scholarship to the University of Miami, should he choose to delay the start of his pro career. But his advisor, Scott Boras, is the most famous agent in baseball, and the money that is expected to be offered to Almora may be too great to pass up.

The big question is whether Houston takes Appel or Zunino and whether Seattle takes Buxton, Zimmer or Zunino. Zunino calls his own pitches and is at the head of the class for catchers. Appel has finished strong and I believe will go #1 or #3. It's also possible if Houston pulls the surprise and takes Zunino, the Twins take Correa and Seattle takes Appel we could be choosing Buxton at #4. Houston is ranked #22 offensively and Seattle #27. They should be looking at adding offense not pitching and I hope they go for pitching. Houston needs a catcher more than a shortstop as Jason Castro a former #1 pick who was injured last year has not hit as expected and I think they will surprise by picking Zunino. They have drafted outfielders the last two years and will not take another outfielder. Correa, Zunino or Appel will be their choice. The Twins need a shortstop and will take Correa. Seattle needs offense and pitching and if Appel is there at #3 will take him leaving Buxton for the Orioles. If Seattle takes Buxton would Appel be our next Mike Mussina coming out of Stanford? Appel's advisor is Scott Boras.

As of 12:20 AM I see the following happening:

Zunino - Houston

Correa - Minnesota

Appel- Seattle

Buxton - Baltimore

There were too many sites to list for the above information and they were sites in each city of the first three picks ahead of us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the insight, but Correa is not expected to stay at short, he is already 6'4 and 190 and is expected to add mass to his frame. He is projected as a corner infielder most likely 3rd base. His best tools are his bat and his arm, and the fact that he is only 17.

I wouldn't consider Almora a surprise (though generally he hasn't gotten the attention he deserves in the media). Lots of evaluators (myself included) have loved the kid for a while.

I previously saw that you had him highly ranked. Do you think he's a good pick at 4?

Do you know what his potential college situation is? I know you have mentioned that Giolito was leaning to going to school at UCLA. Does Almora seem like he would prefer to go to college?

I previously saw that you had him highly ranked. Do you think he's a good pick at 4?

Do you know what his potential college situation is? I know you have mentioned that Giolito was leaning to going to school at UCLA. Does Almora seem like he would prefer to go to college?

Almora is signable. Not sure how hard he and his advisor will play it, though. He has a commitment to Univ. of Miami.

My comments about Almora surprising were not that he isn't a top talent but were more about him moving up from the top 7 picks by many to possibly a top 5 pick.

Does anyone know why Houston's GM has to make this draft more difficult than it needs to be? Jeff Lunhow says their pick needs to be an All-Star and the face of their franchise in the coming years. So who fits that description the best? Appel, Gausman, Buxton, Correa or Zunino? It appears these five players and Zimmer and Almora make up the top 7 picks on Monday. At this late date and time Houston has not said who they are going to pick? This is crazy. they have to know at 9 am this morning who they are picking tomorrow. The GM says they will decide tonight. Really! They control the draft. I think they see what Strasburg is doing with the Nationals and lean towards Appel or Gausman. Who would you take?

Appel grew up in Houston and lived there until he was 12. His father's company had season tickets. The possiblilty of Stanford producing the two #1 picks in the NFL (Andrew Luck) and MLB would be impressive. He's a nice looking guy from their town and could be a marquee type player their GM says he is looking for in the draft. They should go public tonight and tell the media they are picking him tomorrow.

#2 Minnesota - Everything I am reading lately says the Twins have to take apitcher because their team ERA is terrible and they can't wait several years for a high school player. I think they will take Gausman although many in their organization like Zimmer. I think they will take Gausman.

#3 Seattle - Nothing has really changed here. They will take the best hitter according to reports. Who fits that description? Buxton, Correa or Zunino? The ESPN guys say Zunino is ready to go right now or in another year and hit against top pitching in the tough SEC where he hit 16 HR'S. He is a quality catcher and would be hard to pass on even though they think Buxton is the best player in the draft skills wise. It's either Zunino or Buxton. I think they will go with Zunino.

#4 Baltimore - Wow!! The Orioles have to choose from Buxton, Correa, Almora and Zimmer. I don't see Duquette gambling and passing on the player most think is the best player in the draft. There are reports the O's really like Almora and have him in mind as a fall back if Buxton is gone. I would like to know how the team rates Buxton, Correa and Almora? I am guessing they would rate them 1,2 and 3 as I just listed them. We can't make a mistake here. Buxton is our pick if the first three go as I just listed them.

If Seattle takes Buxton we will pass on Zunino and choose between Correa and Almora and take Correa.

My comments about Almora surprising were not that he isn't a top talent but were more about him moving up from the top 7 picks by many to possibly a top 5 pick.

Does anyone know why Houston's GM has to make this draft more difficult than it needs to be? Jeff Lunhow says their pick needs to be an All-Star and the face of their franchise in the coming years. So who fits that description the best? Appel, Gausman, Buxton, Correa or Zunino? It appears these five players and Zimmer and Almora make up the top 7 picks on Monday. At this late date and time Houston has not said who they are going to pick? This is crazy. they have to know at 9 am this morning who they are picking tomorrow. The GM says they will decide tonight. Really! They control the draft. I think they see what Strasburg is doing with the Nationals and lean towards Appel or Gausman. Who would you take?

Appel grew up in Houston and lived there until he was 12. His father's company had season tickets. The possiblilty of Stanford producing the two #1 picks in the NFL (Andrew Luck) and MLB would be impressive. He's a nice looking guy from their town and could be a marquee type player their GM says he is looking for in the draft. They should go public tonight and tell the media they are picking him tomorrow.

#2 Minnesota - Everything I am reading lately says the Twins have to take apitcher because their team ERA is terrible and they can't wait several years for a high school player. I think they will take Gausman although many in their organization like Zimmer. I think they will take Gausman.

#3 Seattle - Nothing has really changed here. They will take the best hitter according to reports. Who fits that description? Buxton, Correa or Zunino? The ESPN guys say Zunino is ready to go right now or in another year and hit against top pitching in the tough SEC where he hit 16 HR'S. He is a quality catcher and would be hard to pass on even though they think Buxton is the best player in the draft skills wise. It's either Zunino or Buxton. I think they will go with Zunino.

#4 Baltimore - Wow!! The Orioles have to choose from Buxton, Correa, Almora and Zimmer. I don't see Duquette gambling and passing on the player most think is the best player in the draft. There are reports the O's really like Almora and have him in mind as a fall back if Buxton is gone. I would like to know how the team rates Buxton, Correa and Almora? I am guessing they would rate them 1,2 and 3 as I just listed them. We can't make a mistake here. Buxton is our pick if the first three go as I just listed them.

If Seattle takes Buxton we will pass on Zunino and choose between Correa and Almora and take Correa.

Few things:

1) Why would Houston publicly announce who they are going to pick? By not announcing, they force the other teams to keep in contact with multiple kids and flesh out multiple scenario responses.

2) Zunino did not hit against SEC pitching -- it's one of the big dings against him.

3) I definitely agree it's possible Buxton gets to Baltimore, though unlikely if Callis and Law are at all plugged in and getting good info.

Is there any buzz at all about Almora to Baltimore? All I've heard has been Gausman, Correa, or Zimmer, with Buxton a possibility if he falls. Nothing about Almora, Zunino, or Appel. That doesn't mean they won't be the pick, of course, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the four we've heard mentioned.

Is there any buzz at all about Almora to Baltimore? All I've heard has been Gausman, Correa, or Zimmer, with Buxton a possibility if he falls. Nothing about Almora, Zunino, or Appel. That doesn't mean they won't be the pick, of course, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the four we've heard mentioned.

Keith Law has heard Almora to Baltimore.

Houston's GM said they want their #1 pick to be the face of the franchise and Appel fits this perfectly being from Houston originally. There is a video up with him saying it would be a dream come true to play for the Astros. Most say he is the best pitcher in the draft. Almora will not go to the Orioles even though they like him. The top 4 players currently appear to be Appel, Gausman, Correa and Buxton with Zunino moving up from 5-7 to #3 if Seattle wants a catcher. If Buxton goes with Appel and Gausman in the top 3 then we will have to decide between Correa and a pitcher probably Zimmer. Most teams have Almora between 7-10.

If Buxton goes in the top 3 with Gausman and Correa then Appel will be available. The top 3 could change at anytime and as i said earlier the top three picks could be hitters or pitchers. You could have Appel, Gausman and Zimmer going 1, 2 and 3. You could also have Buxton, Correa and Zunino going 1, 2 and 3 and the Orioles would have to decide between Appel and Gausman. I would be happy with either of these pitchers.

I'm staying with my last post. Appel, Gausman and Zunino 1, 2 and 3 with Buxton to the Orioles.

Houston's GM said they want their #1 pick to be the face of the franchise and Appel fits this perfectly being from Houston originally. There is a video up with him saying it would be a dream come true to play for the Astros. Most say he is the best pitcher in the draft. Almora will not go to the Orioles even though they like him. The top 4 players currently appear to be Appel, Gausman, Correa and Buxton with Zunino moving up from 5-7 to #3 if Seattle wants a catcher. If Buxton goes with Appel and Gausman in the top 3 then we will have to decide between Correa and a pitcher probably Zimmer. Most teams have Almora between 7-10.

If Buxton goes in the top 3 with Gausman and Correa then Appel will be available. The top 3 could change at anytime and as i said earlier the top three picks could be hitters or pitchers. You could have Appel, Gausman and Zimmer going 1, 2 and 3. You could also have Buxton, Correa and Zunino going 1, 2 and 3 and the Orioles would have to decide between Appel and Gausman. I would be happy with either of these pitchers.

I'm staying with my last post. Appel, Gausman and Zunino 1, 2 and 3 with Buxton to the Orioles.

You are relying on websites for this info, right? Because I don't think it is accurate.

Archived