Matt Wieters needs to be benched for a few days

bmoreosfan

I know there is an unwritten rule that Orioles fans and Baltimore sports writers/reporters are not allowed to criticize Matt Wieters, but I have rarely seen anything more painful in baseball than watching Wieters at the plate right now. Psychologically he is a mess and needs more than just one day off to turn things around. I am concerned that this is more than just a slump with his average possibly falling below .200 on this road trip. Yes, his defense is great, although the impact of his plate struggles are beginning to impact his overall performance.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is killing this team batting so low in the order. That, compounded by pretty much all of the hitters, except AJ, JJ, and Davis, aren't doing anything with the bat, makes for some ugly baseball to watch on the offensive side.

I know there is an unwritten rule that Orioles fans and Baltimore sports writers/reporters are not allowed to criticize Matt Wieters, but I have rarely seen anything more painful in baseball than watching Wieters at the plate right now. Psychologically he is a mess and needs more than just one day off to turn things around. I am concerned that this is more than just a slump with his average possibly falling below .200 on this road trip. Yes, his defense is great, although the impact of his plate struggles are beginning to impact his overall performance.

This is complete and utter garbage. Clearly you haven't read much of the posts around here for the last three years, because people have been more than quick to criticize Matt Wieters.

I was just thinking the same thing, and also thinking what heresy it would be to post it... Thanks for being braver than I. The depths of his slump are killing this team offensively. A solid two day benching is merited and Buck should do it.

I was just thinking the same thing, and also thinking what heresy it would be to post it... Thanks for being braver than I. The depths of his slump are killing this team offensively. A solid two day benching is merited and Buck should do it.

Amen. Either bench him for two or three days or drop him into number eight, the position for a good defensive catcher whom you don't expect to provide any offense. Move him back up in the order only when he merits it!

but he's the best catcher in baseball

Not by a long shot. But if he could avoid prolonged hitting slumps and average .260, 3-4 home runs, and 10-12 runs a month, then he most certainly would be. And those are fairly modest goals for a "can't miss" first round draft pick. The ability to be consistent haunts not only Matt, but this entire team.

Not by a long shot. But if he could avoid prolonged hitting slumps and average .260, 3-4 home runs, and 10-12 runs a month, then he most certainly would be. And those are fairly modest goals for a "can't miss" first round draft pick. The ability to be consistent haunts not only Matt, but this entire team.

I think he was being sarcastic towards those who echoed similar sentiments early on in the season.

The fact that he's above criticism is absurd. He is awful right now. And you're right, he is inconsistent...probably even more inconsistent than Markakis, which is saying a lot.

I think he was being sarcastic towards those who echoed similar sentiments early on in the season.

The fact that he's above criticism is absurd. He is awful right now. And you're right, he is inconsistent...probably even more inconsistent than Markakis, which is saying a lot.

Nice point, MM, I did miss the sarcasm. BTW, I meant "RBIs" not "runs." And what the hell, toss in 2-3 SBs a month, too... :)

Since the starters have also collectively decided to s the bed a couple days of rest/work in the cage seems warranted for Weiters. Just so disappointing how this team frays, then injuries mount, and they slowly implode. Fortunately, Tampa has been losing too, so they haven't dropped any but it's unavoidable for one of the two in this next series.

More bunting, more demotions, more benching. :drek:

Your emoticon is hysterical, LJ. I'd like to use it in half my emails to my boss. But just for once I'd like to see Buck make a very public point by benching one of his best but underperforming players. It's not an over-reaction at all, it's just a philosophy, and maybe one you don't subscribe to. But Weaver, Martin, Lasorda, Tanner, Leyland and others didn't hesitate to do it. Too many times these days it gets called "getting a rest," so as not to embarrass a player. Maybe that's ok. But two days off in a row makes a statement that no one misses. Part of being good means not accepting BS performances. Matt's performance for the last three weeks has been nothing but BS.

And situationally, we should definitely bunt more. I wish there was a "bunting" emoticon...

Your emoticon is hysterical, LJ. I'd like to use it in half my emails to my boss. But just for once I'd like to see Buck make a very public point by benching one of his best but underperforming players. It's not an over-reaction at all, it's just a philosophy, and maybe one you don't subscribe to. But Weaver, Martin, Lasorda, Tanner, Leyland and others didn't hesitate to do it. Too many times these days it gets called "getting a rest," so as not to embarrass a player. Maybe that's ok. But two days off in a row makes a statement that no one misses. Part of being good means not accepting BS performances. Matt's performance for the last three weeks has been nothing but BS.

And situationally, we should definitely bunt more. I wish there was a "bunting" emoticon...

Epic stupid post. Weiters primary contribution to the team, whether he is hitting or not, is what he does behind the plate. You don't bench one of the best defensive catchers in baseball because he is in a slump. If he was a DH or a 1B maybe. But his glove is too valuable.

More bunting, more demotions, more benching. :drek:
:drek:

Seriously, we are about to go play a 3 game series with the team we are tied for 1st with and people want to bench Wieters for 2 of the games. For defensive hack Ronny Paulino against the best running team in the league.

Oh BTW.... Wieters numbers against Price, pretty good. The best of the projected starters tomorrow with at least 5 ABs. I mean do people actually think before they post.

Archived