Markakis broke Hamate bone

xian4

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait...why is this, exactly? As far as I can tell, he was never a high-flying prospect. Yes, a relatively high draft pick, but he never set the world on fire in the minors. And (again, from what I can tell) he played "age appropriate" for the MiL teams to which he was assigned. Apart from showing some power, his numbers were just...pretty good.

We're talking about a guy who's turning 26 in July and who never even hit higher than .280 in three MiL seasons above low-A. IMO, he hasn't really shown much of anything that we should be worried about losing.

EDIT: for clarity's sake, I responded to the quoted post having read "he has some kind of future in baseball" as something akin to "oh boy howdy, that kid's got some kinda future in baseball, you betcha," which was clearly not the poster's intent. Still, I don't think what I wrote above completely fails to address his statement as it was actually intended to be read.

Thanks, I appreciate the belittlement.

Anyways...

Comparatively, who has a brighter future in baseball? 35 year old Lew Ford who is a superstar in independant ball or a younger player with a golden opportunity (has to stay on the 25-man roster or be returned). I don't think its as stupid a statement as you decided to spin it.

That's an interesting idea. Isn't he playing independent ball?

If he is interesting, then you must have much fonder memories of the man than I do, aside from chasing batting helmets that is.

But, as mentioned, he is in the Braves' system

Look in the MLB forum. He played in independent ball (saw him against York, PA), but he was signed several weeks ago and is now in AAA.

Edit: here are his current stats:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=429712

Thanks. And he's tearing it up! More of a hitter right now than Avery is. I like Avery, don't get me wrong! But he's been used and abused at the ML level. He "needs to get his mind right." To quote Strother Martin.

Pie is the same (and more) than when Avery was first brought up and was so impressive. Plus Pie's btdt. Plus the helmets...

I hope DD makes a BOLD move! Brings in a solid MLer, but Pie is not a bad fallback position. It wouldn't take much to get him from Atlanta. And it might be just what we need for a month.

To start, no current option is optimal. Flaherty would be an experiment...get the kid some regular at bats and see what happens. Yes, he is hitting .150 but he hasn't had any extended playing time. Plus, he has some kind future in baseball. Ford was last ditch effort at extra depth...good move but really just a plug to fill the leaks and that's his peak value.

I'm with oriole here, give him a chance. Get him some consistent ABs. He's BEEN decent all over the field! Let's see if he can hit. And adjust. And adjust to the adjustments. The argument that has bee used against Flaherty... he's too old at each level... let's give him a chance to see if maybe he has learned something at all those levels and with his experience. ;)

Flaherty is here til the bitter end! Good as we have been, and as fortunate as we still have been... we are extremely borderline contenders this year. Even in rosy scenarios! Unless DD makes a (several) BOLD moves before the deadline, next year is the focus. Chicago and Theo are NOT offering up ANY deal for us to stash him. But he can NOT be dropped by us. Period.

Was this a creative way to suggest Milton Bradley?! :D

6293949_15662689_trimmed.jpg

Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that's stands for Pool!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oalGu81z0-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is the most talkative version of Nick I have come across. They need to drug him up for interviews and Fan Fest.

He was also very talkative (and medically well informed) about his abdominal surgery. Maybe he'll be a doctor if this baseball thing doesn't work out. ;)

That is the most talkative version of Nick I have come across. They need to drug him up for interviews and Fan Fest.

He mixed his "Straw" metaphors is a print quote earlier. I didn't even know he spoke in metaphors.

Scott Beerer has only taken much longer to heal from his surgery as he developed arthritis in his hand and has had a cortisone injection to help. Apparently, Nick only had the hook of the Hamate bone removed so he is only waiting for the incision to heal - real best case scenario

• 3 weeks later...

Archived