Markakis broke Hamate bone

xian4

Ryan Flaherty is batting less than .150 and you think Lew Ford is a bad option? If we go forward with Flaherty as a serious option, we deserve to lose.

To start, no current option is optimal. Flaherty would be an experiment...get the kid some regular at bats and see what happens. Yes, he is hitting .150 but he hasn't had any extended playing time. Plus, he has some kind future in baseball. Ford was last ditch effort at extra depth...good move but really just a plug to fill the leaks and that's his peak value.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if anyone posted the Britt piece about him actually having the bone removed from his hand: http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2012/05/31/markakis-to-have-surgery-to-remove-right-hamate-bone/

Do you (or anyone) remember exactly when it was when Nick initially hurt his wrist when sliding ??? Was it in the 8-2 win over the Royals, or was if before that ??? If it was in that game, I'm just wondering if Nick's faltering at the plate (2-for-18 in the 4 games since then) may have had anything to do with it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=markani01&t=b&year=2012

If he hurt it before that game, then I guess not, since he had 2 doubles and a single in said game.

To start, no current option is optimal. Flaherty would be an experiment...get the kid some regular at bats and see what happens. Yes, he is hitting .150 but he hasn't had any extended playing time. Plus, he has some kind future in baseball. Ford was last ditch effort at extra depth...good move but really just a plug to fill the leaks and that's his peak value.

Wait...why is this, exactly? As far as I can tell, he was never a high-flying prospect. Yes, a relatively high draft pick, but he never set the world on fire in the minors. And (again, from what I can tell) he played "age appropriate" for the MiL teams to which he was assigned. Apart from showing some power, his numbers were just...pretty good.

We're talking about a guy who's turning 26 in July and who never even hit higher than .280 in three MiL seasons above low-A. IMO, he hasn't really shown much of anything that we should be worried about losing.

EDIT: for clarity's sake, I responded to the quoted post having read "he has some kind of future in baseball" as something akin to "oh boy howdy, that kid's got some kinda future in baseball, you betcha," which was clearly not the poster's intent. Still, I don't think what I wrote above completely fails to address his statement as it was actually intended to be read.

Wait...why is this, exactly? As far as I can tell, he was never a high-flying prospect. Yes, a relatively high draft pick, but he never set the world on fire in the minors. And (again, from what I can tell) he played "age appropriate" for the MiL teams to which he was assigned. Apart from showing some power, his numbers were just...pretty good.

We're talking about a guy who's turning 26 in July and who never even hit higher than .280 in three MiL seasons above low-A. IMO, he hasn't really shown much of anything that we should be worried about losing.

EDIT: for clarity's sake, I responded to the quoted post having read "he has some kind of future in baseball" as something akin to "oh boy howdy, that kid's got some kinda future in baseball, you betcha," which was clearly not the poster's intent. Still, I don't think what I wrote above completely fails to address his statement as it was actually intended to be read.

HE has power, He is versatile. Think Jose Bautista. Just not sure we can keep him either.

He hit a .907 OPS in 302 AB's last year in AA at 25. He's not a blue chipper, but he could be a late bloomer. If his upside is value similar to Scott or Reimold--both late bloomers--adjusted to IF, we could have something.

He hit a .907 OPS in 302 AB's last year in AA at 25. He's not a blue chipper, but he could be a late bloomer. If his upside is value similar to Scott or Reimold--both late bloomers--adjusted to IF, we could have something.

Well, yeah, but a .676 OPS in 176 AB's in the PCL during the course of the same year? I mean...the PCL, really?

He could be a late bloomer, sure. I just wouldn't sweat his staying/leaving either way based on the numbers and what I've seen so far. He's a shoulder shrug personified, IMO.

Well, yeah, but a .676 OPS in 176 AB's in the PCL during the course of the same year? I mean...the PCL, really?

He could be a late bloomer, sure. I just wouldn't sweat his staying/leaving either way based on the numbers and what I've seen so far. He's a shoulder shrug personified, IMO.

Yeah, that was pretty poor, especially for the PCL. But, in the end it was only 176 AB's. His career minor league OPS is .809 in 1670 AB's. That's pretty solid, even if he's been old for his league (by prospect standards).

Norfolk Tides‏@NorfolkTides

Fantastic Ford: Lew Ford belts a solo homer off of Dice-K in the first to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead. Ford now batting .382 #Orioles

He had a home run in his first at bat last night as well.

let's be real Nick wasn't doing much anyway.

Yea the guy on a pace for 70+ EBHs is really terrible. He has already had a terrible slump and if you normalize his BABIP he would have around a 900 OPS. His loss is going to hurt don't kid yourself.

This is EXACTLY why I had precautionary Hamate bone removal surgery in both of my wrists and why, as a GM - I would make all of my players have their appendix, gallbladder, hamate bones taken out and their ACL's replaced before they ever stepped on the field.

Whose laughing now - so called friends?

This is EXACTLY why I had precautionary Hamate bone removal surgery in both of my wrists and why, as a GM - I would make all of my players have their appendix, gallbladder, hamate bones taken out and their ACL's replaced before they ever stepped on the field.

Whose laughing now - so called friends?

Gurgi???

Archived