Jones to have MRI

Greg

Again, I can provide metrics that suggest Jones has already been a 16 mil player the last three years, so I think it is categorically unfair to ignore them, and act as if fWar has it right, and BP doesn't.

Even if Jones doesn't grow, which I think is unlikely but possible, then value of a win is going to increase, and seemingly increase quite a bit over the course of that contract. The O's get surplus value.

I also think you have to ask yourself: Where can the Orioles get a player of Jones caliber, for that part of his career, for those rates? Pretty much only the way they have. Any excursion into FA would be paying an older, declining player, and O's surcharge to come here. This is about the best kind of long-term commitment the O's can make.

I will take bWAR and fWAR in tandem over BP, that's correct. They show Jones to be a 12-13 million dollar player. I think we could have gotten players with his potential in a trade. I'm also of the opinion that this team is still a long way away from contention despite our current record however. I don't see a ton of room for growth in Jones due to the poor plate discipline, I think he is unlikely to be a consistently elite bat for that reason.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its very possible that Jones told O's management about the sore wrist prior to the contract signing and O's management figured it into the contract price.

Wait. So you're saying the Orioles took a "bruised wrist" into account when figuring out the price of a 6 year contract EXTENSION?

Nah, I don't think so. I think this entire thread is much ado about nothing.

Of course, with the O's luck, he'll be on the 60 day DL by the weekend! :o

Wait. So you're saying the Orioles took a "bruised wrist" into account when figuring out the price of a 6 year contract EXTENSION?

Nah, I don't think so. I think this entire thread is much ado about nothing.

Of course, with the O's luck, he'll be on the 60 day DL by the weekend! .:o

So is 95 % of my posts, but I'm still typing. :o

So is 95 % of my posts, but I'm still typing. :o

You don't give yourself enough credit. If it weren't for you, who would start the "MLB Network Monday Night game of the week on June 4th when the Orioles are off" Game Thread? :rofl:

Yes, They may even have taken an X-Ray to see if they was structural damage and then dismissed it just like you rightfully are doing.

I will take bWAR and fWAR in tandem over BP, that's correct.

That doesn't make you right.

I think we could have gotten players with his potential in a trade.

The contract carries some risk that we slightly overpaid the guy I admit. For the reasons I've supplied I think that risk is fairly minimal.

However, if you're concerned w risk, there's no risk in dealing Jones for prospects?

I'll tell you where I think the bigger risk lies.

I'm also of the opinion that this team is still a long way away from contention despite our current record however. I don't see a ton of room for growth in Jones due to the poor plate discipline, I think he is unlikely to be a consistently elite bat for that reason.

I don't think Jones is ever going to be David Ortiz; of course he doesn't have to be as he's a CF. If he can keep his avg over 300, and the bump in his iso this year is mostly real, then he can hit in the middle of a first division lineup. In fact, he already is. The O's problem is scoring runs; they have a top 5 O in the AL.

It's hard to say exactly how far away we are from competing. Particularly, if you want to ignore their record this year. 1 G out on June 4 is competing. They could hang in their the rest of the year; they could fall out this month.

I do know this though: We're a lot closer to competing w Adam Jones in CF, than we are w some prospects in Bowie or Norfolk.

So he's had this wrist issue for "weeks", and the MRI before the contract extension didn't tell us anything? Why not rest him then? Instead, you sign him for $85.5M and hope it gets better?

Well, I'm not sure why he's supposed to tell us anything... everybody who's played the game says that something's wrong with you physically most of the time... does anybody else tell us about all their aches and pains?... no, they do not... did we know what Cal was feeling for all those many games?... no, we did not...

As for AJ having done something wrong, I think we'd have to be privy to whatever he did and didn't tell the Dr's before we could possibly have an informed opinion about that... in the meantime, I don't see how anybody can say that there is any malfeasance afoot just because his wrist hurts...

Well, I've stated that I feel pretty confident the O's will come out ahead on this deal so that's exactly why I don't have a problem w it.

It isn't just the Yankees and Red Sox. The Cubs, Nats, both LA teams, Tex, MIA, PHI, etc. all have at least one contract on their books that far exceeds anything the O's have ever spent.

So yes, the O's need to be effecient, but that doesn't make them Tampa Bay.

Amen! We aren't the yankees but we aren't Tampa either! We might not be able to afford a 200 million free agent but we should be able to resign our own for under 100 million. To those stating that there is risk involved, I agree. You can't compete without making risky moves. There are no guarantees, baseball is a high stakes game. IMO, there was a lot more risk in doing nothing or trading jones then there is locking him up

Well, I'm not sure why he's supposed to tell us anything... everybody who's played the game says that something's wrong with you physically most of the time... does anybody else tell us about all their aches and pains?... no, they do not... did we know what Cal was feeling for all those many games?... no, we did not...

As for AJ having done something wrong, I think we'd have to be privy to whatever he did and didn't tell the Dr's before we could possibly have an informed opinion about that... in the meantime, I don't see how anybody can say that there is any malfeasance afoot just because his wrist hurts...

Whaaaaaaa.... did I fall asleep and it's suddenly 2009 all over again?!?

Edit: Just saw your thread in the Hangout Club. June might be an interesting month!

Whaaaaaaa.... did I fall asleep and it's suddenly 2009 all over again?!?

Edit: Just saw your thread in the Hangout Club. June might be an interesting month!

Rip Van Drungo... feeling a bit groggy are you?

Yeah, you're right. It was mainly "emotional nonsense" on my part with my real beef being about the extension.

I think I'm one of the few posters who likes this board more when all of the "famous" current and ex-OHers are on the board. Just because people start or get caught up in on-line squabbles doesn't mean they don't have great baseball ideas and/or provide for good entertainment. Heck, I'd even happily welcome Old#5Fan back. Maybe that's a poor reflection on me? :D

Archived