Jones to have MRI

Greg

I think I'm one of the few posters who likes this board more when all of the "famous" current and ex-OHers are on the board. Just because people start or get caught up in on-line squabbles doesn't mean they don't have great baseball ideas and/or provide for good entertainment. Heck, I'd even happily welcome Old#5Fan back. Maybe that's a poor reflection on me? :D

If the season's first rough patch needed anything to make it better it's a nonsensical rant about how Curt Blefary and Jerry Adair would have made the 2012 Orioles undefeated at this point. And how Rich Coggins once removed his own hamate bone with a pair of tweezers and some whiskey in between games of a doubleheader where he hit for the cycle twice. My uncle Wayne told me that so it's definitely true.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't make you right.

The contract carries some risk that we slightly overpaid the guy I admit. For the reasons I've supplied I think that risk is fairly minimal.

However, if you're concerned w risk, there's no risk in dealing Jones for prospects?

I'll tell you where I think the bigger risk lies.

I don't think Jones is ever going to be David Ortiz; of course he doesn't have to be as he's a CF. If he can keep his avg over 300, and the bump in his iso this year is mostly real, then he can hit in the middle of a first division lineup. In fact, he already is. The O's problem is scoring runs; they have a top 5 O in the AL.

It's hard to say exactly how far away we are from competing. Particularly, if you want to ignore their record this year. 1 G out on June 4 is competing. They could hang in their the rest of the year; they could fall out this month.

I do know this though: We're a lot closer to competing w Adam Jones in CF, than we are w some prospects in Bowie or Norfolk.

He hasn't had a season with an average over .300 yet. His bump in ISO is mostly due to an unsustainable HR/FB. I would rather have more talent in an organization that I think desperately needs more in the system than to be paying a guy 15-17 million dollars who could turn into Jeff Francouer quickly. June is far too early to say we are competing. We saw this before in 2005. I think the team is much closer to how they have played recently than they are to the beginning of the season. Adam Jones could have brought in some elite pitching prospects, and I think that would have been more prudent. I guess it is a matter or where we think the team really is. I still think this is a bad team that needs a lot of help.

He hasn't had a season with an average over .300 yet. His bump in ISO is mostly due to an unsustainable HR/FB. I would rather have more talent in an organization that I think desperately needs more in the system than to be paying a guy 15-17 million dollars who could turn into Jeff Francouer quickly. June is far too early to say we are competing. We saw this before in 2005. I think the team is much closer to how they have played recently than they are to the beginning of the season. Adam Jones could have brought in some elite pitching prospects, and I think that would have been more prudent. I guess it is a matter or where we think the team really is. I still think this is a bad team that needs a lot of help.

I think you're over-estimating what Jones would bring back. If you trade him in July you get 1 1/3 years of a player you've stressed is a 3-ish win talent. Who'll be making 80% of his free agent value in 2013. So... what would you trade for 8 months of a 3-win player who'll be making $10M a year? What's that, maybe $5M in surplus value? $8M or $10M if you really squint and hope DD rips someone off?

Well, I'll be honest, I don't expect this team to compete throughout the year. But I definitely think they have that chance in the next 2 years or so, and Jones being here, and not some prospects, definitely accelerates that. Like I said, I think there's a lot more risk in trading Jones for prospects than there is in Jones drastically underperforming that contract.

To compare him to Francouer is laughable. Outside of his rookie year, and less than half a season of ABs, Francouer never put up an OPS+ of what Jones did as a 23 yo, and has built on every year, until he was 28. Not to mention Jones plays a premium defensive position.

Jones avg has never hit 300 yet, but his avg has gone up every year in the bigs, so he's going the right way for that. I don't think Jones is going to keep his iso over 300 either, but to say it's mostly due to hr/fb % is simplistic, if not downright wrong. He's hitting more dbls and trpls this year as well, and clearly the increase in hrs isn't solely due to hr/fb % either.

If the season's first rough patch needed anything to make it better it's a nonsensical rant about how Curt Blefary and Jerry Adair would have made the 2012 Orioles undefeated at this point. And how Rich Coggins once removed his own hamate bone with a pair of tweezers and some whiskey in between games of a doubleheader where he hit for the cycle twice. My uncle Wayne told me that so it's definitely true.

Probably getting off track here, but I recall back in the day that trainers would routinely come out on the field with a magic spray can of some sort of freeze stuff on almost any type of injury. Don't see that anymore. I could see that stuff getting out of hand in the locker room.

Probably getting off track here, but I recall back in the day that trainers would routinely come out on the field with a magic spray can of some sort of freeze stuff on almost any type of injury. Don't see that anymore. I could see that stuff getting out of hand in the locker room.

I think that was the mid-80s equivalent of leeches and mercury-based medicine. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Well, I'll be honest, I don't expect this team to compete throughout the year. But I definitely think they have that chance in the next 2 years or so, and Jones being here, and not some prospects, definitely accelerates that. Like I said, I think there's a lot more risk in trading Jones for prospects than there is in Jones drastically underperforming that contract.

To compare him to Francouer is laughable. Outside of his rookie year, and less than half a season of ABs, Francouer never put up an OPS+ of what Jones did as a 23 yo, and has built on every year, until he was 28. Not to mention Jones plays a premium defensive position.

Jones avg has never hit 300 yet, but his avg has gone up every year in the bigs, so he's going the right way for that. I don't think Jones is going to keep his iso over 300 either, but to say it's mostly due to hr/fb % is simplistic, if not downright wrong. He's hitting more dbls and trpls this year as well, and clearly the increase in hrs isn't solely due to hr/fb % either.

I wasn't comparing him to Francouer. i'm just stating the worst case scenario. Jones' defense gets bad enough that he moves to a corner and he continues to be a high .700s OPS bat with a low OBP. AKA Jeff Francouer.

I wasn't comparing him to Francouer. i'm just stating the worst case scenario. Jones' defense gets bad enough that he moves to a corner and he continues to be a high .700s OPS bat with a low OBP. AKA Jeff Francouer.

Oh so you're not comparing him to Francoeur? Funny, cause that sounds like exactly what you're doing.

So what's more likely? Jones becomes Francoeur, or we trade him for a package and don't receive commensurate value?

I know what I think's more likely.

Oh so you're not comparing him to Francoeur? Funny, cause that sounds like exactly what you're doing.

So what's more likely? Jones becomes Francoeur, or we trade him for a package and don't receive commensurate value?

I know what I think's more likely.

I think both options are risky, I'm not arguing that. I prefer the risky option that doesn't cost 85 million dollars.

Archived